NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marco Gonzales 2019 Outlook

Surprised no thread on this guy yet. Former first round pick, now 28 years old and the new Ace of the Seattle staff. Finally healthy last year and while he doesn’t have elite stuff, his repertoire is developing. Peripherals look pretty solid. Looking for him to take another step forward this year. With an ADP of 295, could end up being one of the steals of the draft. I’m buying. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 2
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Marco Gonzales 2019 Outlook

He was very useful last year before he clearly got fatigued with a big innings jump. Was sitting on a 3.46 ERA after his Aug. 3 start, then fell apart until they finally gave him a break at the end of month and he bounced back in September. A 1.79 July ERA and 1.71 September ERA, sandwiched around a 10.35 August. That little tired-arm August dip might just serve to deflate his value to the benefit of those who grab him late.

• Like 2

Spring training means less than 0 to me, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a spring training starter allow 9 ER.  Usually because they aren’t allowed to go that long.  Mariner baseball though, even in Spring they set inepitutude records.  

With that said I’m not sure what to make of Marco, this team is going to be so awful you can probably find a better gamble.  But he should be a decent late round flier in most formats.  

52 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Spring training means less than 0 to me, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a spring training starter allow 9 ER.  Usually because they aren’t allowed to go that long.  Mariner baseball though, even in Spring they set inepitutude records.  

With that said I’m not sure what to make of Marco, this team is going to be so awful you can probably find a better gamble.  But he should be a decent late round flier in most formats.  

Didn’t they allow about 14 inherited runs, though.  (Not to detract from Ace Marco’s Suckitude)

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, wh3931110 said:

Why is Marco not getting a QS on ESPN? Am I missing something? Seems like it was a QS haha 

Yahoo has it as a QS.  I believe it should be a QS unless there is a dispute about an unearned run being earned or something along those lines. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

3 solid starts in a row (3 W’s and 2 QS with no more than 2 runs given up in each contest) after a rocky/droppable stretch. In deep(er) leagues, anyone ballsy enough to start him tonight? At MIL, who is 11th against lefty’s in wOBA at .331. 

• 2 months later...

Good start last night. 7IP, 2ER, 5H, 2BB and 7Ks. 15th win of the year (#7) and 16th quality start (#22).  12th in IP.  I've held him all year and been satisfied. A durable, boring innings eater in fantasy, but a useful guy to keep most of the year as one of your last SPs. Downgrade in k/9 leagues though and the increase in BB rate is a concern. But I will probably look to grab him in the later rounds again next year.