NBC Sports Edge Forums

H2H Categories Draft Strategy WHIR

My draft is Tuesday. Looking to see what others are seeing in re-drafts ? I'm mainly debating :

1. When to draft a SP? I'm thinking I'd like to anchor with at least one ace in the 3rd or 4th round.

2. Who to target in middle rounds? A lot of question marks in these rounds I'm seeing.

3. Which positions are deepest? Which are most thin?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Im a big fan of having 2 SP by end of round 7 at latest, but starting with 3 hitters.  This usually leaves me with Carrasco/Bauer + Flaherty.  Marquez is my favorite mid round guy to grab, absed on the 2nd half he had last year.  Pivetta & Bieber are trendy sleepers for a reason to take a bit later.  I'm getting them wherever I can.2nd & 1st are the two (outside of catcher) that are shallowest

We need to know your league settings and HOW MANY teams are in your league to be able to help... very different strategies exist for different types of leagues

5 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

We need to know your league settings and HOW MANY teams are in your league to be able to help... very different strategies exist for different types of leagues

Sorry - 12 team league 5x5 categories.

1 minute ago, mi26 said:

Sorry - 12 team league 5x5 categories.

No problem!

14 minutes ago, mi26 said:

1. When to draft a SP? I'm thinking I'd like to anchor with at least one ace in the 3rd or 4th round.

In general, H2H 12 team are shallow enough that you could get by by drafting one SP in the first 7 rounds or so. Sure, if amazing value presents itself you grab it! However, don't be attached to the idea that you *need* a SP1 in the first 3 rounds. I'm a big proponent of waiting on pitching in H2H leagues for a long while.

In fact, there was an expert podcast that just happened on this exact issue, find it here: https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/the-sleeper-and-the-bust-episode-655-fireside-chat-constructing-a-pitching-staff/

It's only 27 minutes, so not a long listen.

16 minutes ago, mi26 said:

2. Who to target in middle rounds? A lot of question marks in these rounds I'm seeing.

BPA! Best value. Always in snake drafts guys fall and you should be there to take them. It's hard to say exactly, but guys like Yasiel Puig, Tommy Pham, Jameson Tailon, Jack Flaherty, Mike Clevinger, German Marquez, Zach Wheeler, Matt Chapman, Matt Olson are all guys I love.

17 minutes ago, mi26 said:

3. Which positions are deepest? Which are most thin?

1b is surprisingly shallow. Top 2 are Goldy+Freeman, then you have a few in the middle: Merrifield, Votto, Abreu, Bellinger type, then at the end you have Matt Olson and then it drops off to obscurity. 

2b is shallow after the top too... there's some decent productivity to be found, but it doesn't match the top part of the 2b regime.

Catcher is a wasteland, in most of my teams I don't even roster a catcher and use the spot for an extra bench role. 

My strategy for H2H categories lg is typically:

- take SPs with high K's but don't reach for any SP - there'll be plenty of depth on WW

- take an elite closer and then maybe take 2 late/gamble closers or elite setup guys

- HRs, HRs, HRs especially in early rounds

- spread the SBs - don't count on 1 40+ guy, go for a few 15-25'ers