Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Raimel Tapia 2019 Outlook


fletch44
 Share

Recommended Posts

I drafted Raimel at the end of my draft in a deep league understanding he's starting the year as the 4th OF. With the oft injured Dahl in front of him and Desmond and Blackmon starting to get up there, there's a reasonable chance he'll be playing everyday at some point this year. In deep or NL leagues, I like stashing this toolsy Coors Field OF prospect at no cost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • tonycpsu changed the title to Raimel Tapia 2019 Outlook
On 3/10/2019 at 10:22 PM, worldclass said:

I think McMahon & Hampson will rotate into the outfield before Tapia gets any playing time. With both of them killing it in ST, going to be hard to not get them on the field. 

McMahon has never played OF since he was drafted out of high school. He will not play OF this year. 

Hampson has 1 appearance in CF (did not start) in 24 MLB games & 9 games (7 starts) in CF in 305 minor league games. I think it's safe to say he won't play a lot of OF, if any this year.

The logjam as far as Tapia is concerned, remains at Dahl and/or Desmond. An injury or prolonged slump while Tapia is hot is the only way he gets fantasy-usable PT this year. I expect the random, unpredictable usage of Tapia that we saw last year, this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

McMahon has never played OF since he was drafted out of high school. He will not play OF this year. 

Hampson has 1 appearance in CF (did not start) in 24 MLB games & 9 games (7 starts) in CF in 305 minor league games. I think it's safe to say he won't play a lot of OF, if any this year.

The logjam as far as Tapia is concerned, remains at Dahl and/or Desmond. An injury or prolonged slump while Tapia is hot is the only way he gets fantasy-usable PT this year. I expect the random, unpredictable usage of Tapia that we saw last year, this year.

 

Hampson has gotten a lot of reps in the OF this Spring, he will likely see time there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

 

Hampson has gotten a lot of reps in the OF this Spring, he will likely see time there.

Forcing him into 4 GP in OF to get spring training ABs does not mean he's likely to see time there in regular season when there are better options ahead of him who actually have experience playing the position for years. He's a solid young player but they're just getting him as many at bats as possible from what I am reading.

I'm not saying he'll never play a game out there this year but most likely, it won't be enough to give him eligibility in most leagues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wayzupusc said:

Forcing him into 4 GP in OF to get spring training ABs does not mean he's likely to see time there in regular season when there are better options ahead of him who actually have experience playing the position for years. He's a solid young player but they're just getting him as many at bats as possible from what I am reading.

I'm not saying he'll never play a game out there this year but most likely, it won't be enough to give him eligibility in most leagues.

 

That remains to be seen, especially if Brendan Rodgers plays well in the minors, they'll have to create room somehow. I don't think Tapia is blocking anyone and is considered more of a utility guy while McMahon / Hampson / Rodgers offer much more upside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

mcmahon is on the DL.

 

Yup, he is on the DL... put Reynolds at 1B, Hampson at 2B, and Tapia in CF.  When Dahl comes back, DFA Desmond and put Tapia in CF 

I do own Dahl and picked up Tapia just in case.  He has elite speed and can hit for decent avg. 

Edited by espnfanco
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, espnfanco said:

 

Yup, he is on the DL... put Reynolds at 1B, Hampson at 2B, and Tapia in CF.  When Dahl comes back, DFA Desmond and put Tapia in CF 

I do own Dahl and picked up Tapia just in case.  He has elite speed and can hit for decent avg. 

I like Tapia and he can certainly steal a base but I'm not buying elite speed. I think that adjective gets thrown around too often. MLB gave him a 55 Run tool and described his speed as "solid".  http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016/?list=col

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

I like Tapia and he can certainly steal a base but I'm not buying elite speed. I think that adjective gets thrown around too often. MLB gave him a 55 Run tool and described his speed as "solid".  http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016/?list=col

 

https://www.purplerow.com/2017/6/28/15886688/colorado-rockies-rookie-raimel-tapia-fourth-fastest-outfielder

granted this was a couple years ago, but I still think he has the same wheels today

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, espnfanco said:

 

https://www.purplerow.com/2017/6/28/15886688/colorado-rockies-rookie-raimel-tapia-fourth-fastest-outfielder

granted this was a couple years ago, but I still think he has the same wheels today

The article says it was a small sample ( he was barely eligible to qualify). But anyways, he finished 2017  22nd in that metric and in 2018 he finished 89th. Here is the 2018 source data for "sprint speed".

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard?year=2018&position=&team=&min=0

Edited by fletch44
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

The article says it was a small sample ( he was barely eligible). But anyways, he finished 2017  22nd in that metric and in 2018 he finished 89th. Here is the 2018 source data for "sprint speed".

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard?year=2018&position=&team=&min=0

 

😮 ok looks like he regressed you are right... but I do agree with you I like his chances of stealing a base. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, fletch44 said:

I like Tapia and he can certainly steal a base but I'm not buying elite speed. I think that adjective gets thrown around too often. MLB gave him a 55 Run tool and described his speed as "solid".  http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016/?list=col

 

I was actually thinking the oppo: He has elite speed but I’m not sure he can consistently steal bases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...