NBC Sports Edge Forums

Raimel Tapia 2019 Outlook

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bud Black drooling at the thought of Mark Reynolds in CF right now. 

I mostly agree with this. Tapia’s xwOBA is 279, more than 100 points lower than his actual wOBA. Coors and luck are the two biggest drivers of his current stat line, with skill a distant third. T

Good points.  At the same time it is too tempting to roster a possible everyday player on the Rockies.

31 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

what talent is that?...he doesn't do anything exceptionally well, does he?

a minor league career slash of .323/.367/.459 (740 games) isn't anything to sneeze at. he's also averaged 33 stolen bases per 160 games as a minor leaguer. extrapolating numbers based on minor league stats is a silly exercise, but it does show that he has some speed. whether or not his speed is "elite" is up for debate. either way, he's not slow and will likely contribute to some degree in the SB category.

recap: plus hit-tool, plus speed, and plays in coors.

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

what talent is that?...he doesn't do anything exceptionally well, does he?

Couple years ago he was a highly touted prospect if my memory serves. Could hit, with some good speed. Of course, that hasn't translated to anything yet at the MLB level.

14 hours ago, lavaman said:

Couple years ago he was a highly touted prospect if my memory serves. Could hit, with some good speed. Of course, that hasn't translated to anything yet at the MLB level.

i don't any shares of tapia, and i'm not trying to pick on you per se, but he did translate his talent to the MLB in 2017: 67 games (171PA) - .288/.329/.425, 2 HR, 5 SB

of those 67 games, only 26 were at home, i.e., i would expect a minor bump in those stats if time were spent equally at coors.

he did his job, he just hasn't received any credit for it. since 2017, 52 total PA in the majors..

of interesting note related to fangraphs: his overall stats show he played in 70 games in 2017, but by splits he played in 26 home and 41 away games.. not sure where the other three games took place if not at home or away. maybe he was a defensive sub or pinch runner who didn't bat in three games?

Edited by osb_tensor
  • 2 weeks later...

Tapia has homered in his last 3 games, tonight it was off Corbin. He’s not supposed to be much of a power guy, known more for his hit tool and speed, but his K rate is over 30% and he’s 0-for-2 on steal attempts. I’m not sure what to make of any of that but it seems like he’s worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 1

Still hitting. 2 for 4, a walk and 3 RBI today against the Nationals. I imagine Bud Black will stick with Ian Desmond (batting .177), but who knows? I imagine he'll just fade away in a timeshare, but I wish we could see what he could do with regular at-bats.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Still hitting. 2 for 4, a walk and 3 RBI today against the Nationals. I imagine Bud Black will stick with Ian Desmond (batting .177), but who knows? I imagine he'll just fade away in a timeshare, but I wish we could see what he could do with regular at-bats.

Two doubles no less. These aren't cheap hits he's been getting. The Ks are a bit worrisome but I like what I see. Dude is a dynamic player...hope COL doesn't jerk him around on PT going forward. 

49 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

Two doubles no less. These aren't cheap hits he's been getting. The Ks are a bit worrisome but I like what I see. Dude is a dynamic player...hope COL doesn't jerk him around on PT going forward. 

Seems like every time he hits, it's in a clutch situation. There were a number of moments last year as well. That's got to indicate something.

6 hours ago, dfstout said:

Eye test=PASSED

I'm in

Unfortunately their manager isn't.  Sitting tonight again and has sat more than he's played this week.

As good as he's played (outside of his base stealing so far), it's getting pretty silly that they don't just DFA Desmond.  Oh well. Maybe someday Tapia will be able to be used in leagues on a regular basis...

53 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Hitting 286, 4 HR, 12 RBI, tell me again why he is not good?

While the power is not likely to last, you aren't wrong.  He's clearly better than Desmond at this point.

I doubt Tapia plays tonight though as they are going up against a lefty (Ray).  Tapia doesn't play everyday, but I'm guessing that's an obvious time for them to start Desmond.

I watched most of his ABs in Miller Park this week. It seems like he has made some swing alterations (via la launch angle)...I think some of this power might be real, and either way he can just swing the bat, his approach was impressive--seems to shorten up with 2 strikes...I just wish we could trust Buddy Boy to actually play him full-time v RH

Tapia started two straight games vs RHPs.  Dahl and Blackmon were in the lineup as well so it was a rest situation.

He might be playing every day vs. RHPs.