NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yahoo H2H, 12-team mixed league.  10x10 categories (Offense: R/H/HR/RBI/SB/BB/K/XBH/AVG/SLG/....Pitching:  W/L/HR/H/K/BB/SV/HLD/ERA/WHIP)

42 IP minimum every week.  Went with a 4-man rotation and big bullpen (league counts holds and saves) which was the formula I used to win last year (rotation was Kluber/Verlander/Cole/Paxton and very rarely needed a 5th starter to make my innings).  Drafted SP with the first three picks and then did my best to fill my offense, will be on the lookout for hot bats to plug and play throughout the season based on how the rest of my lineup is doing.

Drafted with the 8th pick:

C-Wellington Castillo

1B-Anthony Rizzo

2B-Ozzie Albies

SS-Jean Segura

IF-Paul DeJong

OF-David Dahl

OF-Yasiel Puig

OF-Michael Conforto

Util-Andrew McCutchen

BN-Brian Anderson (3B/OF), Ramon Laureano (OF), Brandon Nimmo (OF), Jorge Polanco (SS)

SP-Jacob deGrom, Justin Verlander, Trevor Bauer, Cole Hamels

RP-Blake Treinen, Jose Leclerc, Jose Alvarado, Trevor May, Yoshihisa Hirano, Chaz Roe, Kyle Crick

Thoughts?  Leave a link and I'll help with yours.  Stunna.

Like it a lot Stunna... was Brian Anderson your last pick? He’s off my radar but considering how beastly the rest of your team is maybe I’m missing something on him

I don't really like it.

Your offense is lacking, sure it has a lot of upside in Puig, Dahl, Confronto, and a few others, but it's only real 'rock' is Rizzo. Everything else is a risk.

Your SP is obviously an amazing strength with DeGrom, Bauer, Verlander. But there's nothing after that. If one of them go down you are looking at some trouble.

RP is also a strength, but I wouldn't say its completely overwhelming.

Not a big fan of the team, but saying that - if you are active you will be able to compete. Your only achilles heel would be if 1 or 2 of your Big 3 SP go down or have a bad year.. then you are really in trouble.

The pitching is fantastic but the hitting is mediocre. A bunch of high upside players but the floor is pretty low as well for hitting. Like you said keep up on the waiver wire as much as you can because that’s where a lot of championships are won. The hitting will need to improve drastically to win matchups. The 3 starting outfielders need to live up to their ceilings this year if your going to win. Your one major pitching injury from ending up with a bad year. Is there anyone maybe willing to trade an elite bat for a pitcher? All in all it’s a great upside team if the players hit their ceilings.

8 hours ago, 6Kill said:

Like it a lot Stunna... was Brian Anderson your last pick? He’s off my radar but considering how beastly the rest of your team is maybe I’m missing something on him

Thanks playa. Brian Anderson was my 23rd round pick (out of 25 rounds) and went with pick #272.  Needed a backup 3B and remembered Anderson as having a solid stretch of production last season, seems to play every day and bats toward the top of the lineup.  I’ll always have a few spots in my lineup where I’m not afraid to cut a guy loose as soon as he cools off and he’s definitely on the bubble but I’m hoping he can get off to a good start and be a potential starter.  

8 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

I don't really like it.

Your offense is lacking, sure it has a lot of upside in Puig, Dahl, Confronto, and a few others, but it's only real 'rock' is Rizzo. Everything else is a risk.

Your SP is obviously an amazing strength with DeGrom, Bauer, Verlander. But there's nothing after that. If one of them go down you are looking at some trouble.

RP is also a strength, but I wouldn't say its completely overwhelming.

Not a big fan of the team, but saying that - if you are active you will be able to compete. Your only achilles heel would be if 1 or 2 of your Big 3 SP go down or have a bad year.. then you are really in trouble.

Definitely agree with most of your feedback.  The less I’m having to plug and play hot bats the better but I’ll definitely be active with the waiver wire. I would say Segura, Rizzo, and even Shaw should give my offense a foundation, at least.  You’re right though, I’ll definitely need a few others to pop. Should be favored to win more pitching categories than my opponent each week, injuries would be a major issue just as with every team.  Will also be able to make 42 innings most weeks with only a 4-man rotation and bullpen and let my opponent give me a lot of the cumulative categories if he wants to keep up. In theory, at least.  If Hamels can continue his rebirth with the Cubs that would be awesome but I feel good about the other three barring injury, of course.  Great comments, really appreciate you taking the time.  Good luck this season mayn!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MSU2661 said:

The pitching is fantastic but the hitting is mediocre. A bunch of high upside players but the floor is pretty low as well for hitting. Like you said keep up on the waiver wire as much as you can because that’s where a lot of championships are won. The hitting will need to improve drastically to win matchups. The 3 starting outfielders need to live up to their ceilings this year if your going to win. Your one major pitching injury from ending up with a bad year. Is there anyone maybe willing to trade an elite bat for a pitcher? All in all it’s a great upside team if the players hit their ceilings.

Thanks for the feedback!  I wouldn’t be looking to trade one of my SP’s other than Hamels for a big bat at this point, and he won’t net me anything.  Feel like I’d be taking away from a strength just to gain some ground where I’m weak.  Hoping the pitching is essentially set it and forget it and will always have a few batting spots where guys are being rotated out as soon as they cool off. I’d prefer to rotate batters than starting pitchers as one bad start by a pitcher can really change the way you have to manage your week whereas a couple 0-fers aren’t as painful.  Thanks again for awesome feedback, let me know if you have anything you’d like my comments on! 

Edited by #1Stunna

I like the staff. DeGrom, Bauer, Verlander should anchor you nicely. I think Hamels will be a train wreck this year, but I think you’ll be fine even if. The bullpen looks strong and with this approach you can always pickup solid guys with good ratios to help. 

Hitting is questionable and your banking on breakouts from a few guys. Given, I like those guys for breakouts or continued success — Conforto, Dahl (love him this year), Segura, Albies. You can’t expect to hit on all of them. It’s going to take having a quick trigger on the wire to fill those offensive holes when they arise. But you can do it. 

Good luck!

your pitching is really good.  You offense needs bit work. do like the fact you have some huge potential players on offense but you might need to make  move down the line if most of the offensive upside players don't match expectations.

9 hours ago, BeantownBashers said:

I like the staff. DeGrom, Bauer, Verlander should anchor you nicely. I think Hamels will be a train wreck this year, but I think you’ll be fine even if. The bullpen looks strong and with this approach you can always pickup solid guys with good ratios to help. 

Hitting is questionable and your banking on breakouts from a few guys. Given, I like those guys for breakouts or continued success — Conforto, Dahl (love him this year), Segura, Albies. You can’t expect to hit on all of them. It’s going to take having a quick trigger on the wire to fill those offensive holes when they arise. But you can do it. 

Good luck!

Thanks BB!  I'm hoping Dahl can be my Yelich of 2019, not in terms of MVP production but he was a player I was targeting for a breakout that gave me tremendous value on my way to a title.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1