NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dakota Hudson 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

There's a lot of talk about him joining the Cardinals rotation now.  Has 2 ST starts.  His stuff is Electric but the big problem has always been the walks and general lack of control.  But he's young and if the BB declines even modestly, he could be sneaky good value.

I predict it will and he will be an excellent sleeper.  There's great coaching and a great catcher to help him mature to the next level.  The Cardinals SPs have injury issues and he probably gets  a chance to be a permanent starter.

I predict 10+ wins and an ERA under 3.00. 

• Like 1

He combines his high BB rate with a low K rate, not exactly a recipe for success. He’s got the pedigree as a 1st round pick, but I haven’t seen a ton out of him.

Considering there were only 11 SP total last year with an ERA under 3, I predict Hudson will not be one of them.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He combines his high BB rate with a low K rate, not exactly a recipe for success. He’s got the pedigree as a 1st round pick, but I haven’t seen a ton out of him.

Considering there were only 11 SP total last year with an ERA under 3, I predict Hudson will not be one of them.

Yeah may be more like 3.1 or 3.2

On 3/11/2019 at 10:54 PM, Backdoor Slider said:

Yeah no way he finishes under 3

another good ST start today 5 IP no runs 8 Ks. the game is blacked out here so no idea how it looked but the results look fine. Would love some official clarification from the Cards if he will be my 5th SP or another reliever though.

9 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

another good ST start today 5 IP no runs 8 Ks. the game is blacked out here so no idea how it looked but the results look fine. Would love some official clarification from the Cards if he will be my 5th SP or another reliever though.

Edited by smeeze

I watched the game today.  He had the Philly hitters off balance all day.  Had to pitch out of a couple of jams created by his D.  Sinking fastball and wicked slider ... 

Is there an explanation for these spring numbers or are they just spring numbers?  I read he worked to add/improve his change-up during the off-season but that was a work-in-progress still.  I always liked the kid, but thought he was going to be a much better real baseball pitcher than fantasy asset because of his ground ball outs over strike outs and walks. 

I am trying not to be overly seduced by his ST, but I really do like the raw stuff he's showing. The K rate--is the obv big rub here, but I feel like there is room for growth (perhaps substantially) in that area. Just with focus on spin and sequencing, plus work with Yadi. Even if he settles in around the 8 k/9 area I feel like there is room for profit with him.

• Like 1

I was hoping to hear confirmation that he's got a spot in the rotation before I drafted him but I may just take him and hope for the best. I feel like once word breaks he's going to leap up ADP.

1 minute ago, GrapeJuice said:

I was hoping to hear confirmation that he's got a spot in the rotation before I drafted him but I may just take him and hope for the best. I feel like once word breaks he's going to leap up ADP.

I'm putting a waiver claim in on him in my keeper league once the wire opens up tomorrow. Hopefully word hasn't spread by then.

2 minutes ago, cjw3 said:

Hudson gets the 5th spot in the Cardinals rotation. Looked good this spring, anyone taking him as a flier in shallow leagues?

K rate screams placeholder.  Can’t seem him being super valuable with that K:BB ratio.

Edited by Cmilne23

Have they fixed his delivery so he doesn't have poor command? Has his developing change up been effective this spring? 

He's not appealing as a starter until the above has been answered.  Even in his BP stint last year he was stuggling against LHH. 

Edited by Slatykamora
12 hours ago, cjw3 said:

Hudson gets the 5th spot in the Cardinals rotation. Looked good this spring, anyone taking him as a flier in shallow leagues?

Is this confirmed?

I'm points so while the Ks would certainly be nice they are not the be-all-end-all. If he pitches well he'll be valuable to me, even without Ks.