NBC Sports Edge Forums

Baker Mayfield 2019 Outlook

6 hours ago, leffe186 said:

It's not that the O-line isn't that good, it's that it's terrible. The main hope is that they gradually start to knit together over the next three or four weeks, and that they come back after the bye looking...well...adequate.

I think people continue to underestimate how important a good OL is. But I don't think it's time to panic just yet. I really doubt his promising rookie year was an accident or fluke. Sophomore jinx maybe, maybe the OL, maybe playing some tough Ds (I know, not Titans) with a variety of new guys including btw the HC and they're still trying to mesh. Or maybe they just bought all the hype like most of us? I'm still bullish on this team. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, bomont said:

I think people continue to underestimate how important a good OL is. But I don't think it's time to panic just yet. I really doubt his promising rookie year was an accident or fluke. Sophomore jinx maybe, maybe the OL, maybe playing some tough Ds (I know, not Titans) with a variety of new guys including btw the HC and they're still trying to mesh. Or maybe they just bought all the hype like most of us? I'm still bullish on this team. 

Titans are a tough d though...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

Well this definitely doesn't sound too promising for Mayfield, Beckham, Chubb and Landry owners...

Still learning the ropes of calling plays?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/23/freddie-kitchens-admits-that-hes-still-learning-how-to-call-plays/

What? I can't believe he actually admitted that. Hah! Fire the guy

I cut him this week in a 10 team league. Keenum is on the wire. He has been okay. Same with Josh Allen. Jones was available to be picked up as well. I don’t see the need to hold onto Baker. The Browns next few games are tough too and their bye is coming up as well.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:08 PM, Vikezfan said:

It’s starting to scare me....but he really is reminding me of a young Mark Sanchez.  I don’t think he’s the QB people think he can be.  

I do. Funny so many people were hyped on this guy in August and with good reason, now a few bad games and he's Mark Sanchez? Cmon. I think he'll be vindicated in the end. Buy low. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Chippa said:

...I'm gonna need a legit source on that one

He was the OC at Tampa Bay. You can look up their stats if you want. He was also the OC at Oklahoma State in 2011 when they had the best offense in the country and should have played for a national championship. 

1 minute ago, OrangeAggie said:

He was the OC at Tampa Bay. You can look up their stats if you want. He was also the OC at Oklahoma State in 2011 when they had the best offense in the country and should have played for a national championship. 

yea, I remember they couldnt run the ball at all

32 minutes ago, bomont said:

I do. Funny so many people were hyped on this guy in August and with good reason, now a few bad games and he's Mark Sanchez? Cmon. I think he'll be vindicated in the end. Buy low. 

I did, last year he looked like he could make some plays on his own, other than that first read. This year the second he leaves the pocket he just doesnt seem to know where to go with the ball. The schedule doesnt ease up til week 10, a good game at Baltimore would do wonders obviously, but they are gonna have to make some serious adjustments. Reminds me of Dak last year in that boring vanilla offense that was so predictable.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:08 PM, Vikezfan said:

Mark Sanchez

Except Sanchez has never had anything close to Mayfield's rookie year. Rashard Higgins (security target) will potentially return this week. Antonio Callaway (deep threat) will return in week 5. David Njoku and Kareem Hunt will join the team later. The play-calling has been bad, but that doesn't mean it can't get better. I think that's likely as it would difficult to be worse. The OL is a problem, but it's hardly a death knell. Kirk Cousins played well last season with a bad OL and less mobility.

All I'm saying is this team will not finish averaging 16 pts a game. There is a definite likelihood of a regression to the mean.

29 minutes ago, MKO3090 said:

Except Sanchez has never had anything close to Mayfield's rookie year.

Except for that time that he... you know... did.

QB1: 308 Completions, 3474 yards, 26 TDs, 18 INT, 37 rushes, 103 yards, 6 TDs, 255 fantasy points.
QB2: 310 Completions, 3725 yards, 25 TDs, 14 INT, 39 rushes, 113 yards, 0 TDs, 250 fantasy points.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

QB1: 308 Completions, 3474 yards, 26 TDs, 18 INT, 37 rushes, 103 yards, 6 TDs, 255 fantasy points.
QB2: 310 Completions, 3725 yards, 25 TDs, 14 INT, 39 rushes, 113 yards, 0 TDs, 250 fantasy points.

That’s hilarious! Also, LMAO at the Vulture King Sanchez punching in 6 rushing TD’s coupled with only 103 rushing yards!

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

QB1: 308 Completions, 3474 yards, 26 TDs, 18 INT, 37 rushes, 103 yards, 6 TDs, 237 fantasy points (Fantasy Data).
QB2: 310 Completions, 3725 yards, 27 TDs (at the very least, get the stats right), 14 INT, 39 rushes, 113 yards, 0 TDs, 240 fantasy points (Fantasy Data).

16 games vs. 13 games. Extrapolating Baker's stats with 2 more games (to keep attempts in range), he'd have 550 more yards, 4 more TD, and still finish with 2 less INTs. It's really not close. 

2 hours ago, MKO3090 said:

16 games vs. 13 games. Extrapolating Baker's stats with 2 more games (to keep attempts in range), he'd have 550 more yards, 4 more TD, and still finish with 2 less INTs. It's really not close. 

So the 6 TD’s Sanchez scored rushing dont count? It’s way closer than you’re making it sound man, lol

5 hours ago, MKO3090 said:

Baker is a bust.

• Like 1