NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fantasy Baseball Resources (Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Books, etc.)

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

on his twitter (@cj_freel) he suggested back on Feb 5th that his 2020 draft guide is in the works and should be available soon. i check in everyday so if/when he posts it i'll share the link here. 

First follow all the teams beat reporters. There are several for each team and some are better than others but they are almost always first with line-ups, call-ups, and injury news. In no meaning

I think the days of the published mag are on their way out. There's just too much information available online, much of it for free without having to pay $10 for a mag to say the same thing, except th

Posted Images

I've been a die-hard fantasy guy for years. I usually roll with Fangraphs, Razzball, and these forums for my fantasy strategies and player updates. Has anyone taken the leap and paid for a service? Prospectus and Sporsline intrigue me because they have developed systems in analyzing future production from a player. The only other time I ponied up money was for Shandler's Baseball Forecaster. I just bought the book, and was lukewarm on it. What say you? I'm fine going the free route. Have done quite well, but am just curious of outside the box views

I think they are great going into a new league. I bought a year of Prospectus for example a few years back and got Acuna and Eloy and Ohtani (and some other names you might recognize) in the same year because of Prospectus being ahead of the coming super hype

Never pay.  There are tons of online sites that are free and probably better than the money grubber sites too.  The free prospect sites are just as good as any you pay for and as I said some are a lot better.  So st the minor league forum here where a lot of well-educated posters post list and debate prospects.  And they read and list maybe 20 different sites only a couple of which you pay for.

Go to MILB Forum right here and ask questions and follow many many links to sites there.  Don't waste your money.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I didn't see it mentioned earlier in the thread, so I apologize if I missed it but...

Thoughts on PECOTA projections? You guys like them? Dislike them? They seem very conservative. 

They are always conservative..I think they publish projections on their website that list different projections for each player.  Like each percentile of the possible outcome.

I think they do an average of what they expect the player to do at each percentile...so statistically half will over perform and half will underperform.  That probably doens't clear it up much...but on their site they have a good explanation of why their projections are more conservative.

• Like 1
On 2/12/2019 at 4:02 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Never pay.  There are tons of online sites that are free and probably better than the money grubber sites too.  The free prospect sites are just as good as any you pay for and as I said some are a lot better.  So st the minor league forum here where a lot of well-educated posters post list and debate prospects.  And they read and list maybe 20 different sites only a couple of which you pay for.

Go to MILB Forum right here and ask questions and follow many many links to sites there.  Don't waste your money.

Agree almost entirely. I make a special exception for Fangraphs, and have a recurring $20 annual subscription there, just to support them, thank them for their work, and hopefully to help ensure they'll be around this time next year. It's not much to give them $20 a year. They do such good work, the stats are amazing.

• Like 4

I actually pay for 2 months of FantasyPros draft simulator leading up to my keeper league draft. This allows me to enter our leagues keepers as well as traded picks and mock with those settings. I find this very helpful as it allows me to see what players might be available in certain rounds after keepers are removed from the draft pool. Preparing for a keeper league by mock drafting in standard mocks wasn't working for me. 

In terms of research I don't pay for anything and primarily use these forums and FanGraphs. During the season I really don't read much of anything outside of these forums. I find the information here more valuable than a lot of what I'll read from a few sports writers on popular sites. I also really value a lot of guys opinions in here because some of there analysis is far more in depth than the typical sites most fantasy leaguers read. For daily lineup changes and weather I use baseballpress.com and rotogrinders.com.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:25 AM, daethfromabove1979 said:

Is there any data out there on speed of baserunenrs? All I can find are statcast articles from 2017 that show top speeds around the base path. I think it would be very useful in determining base stealing potential. 

This site is for sprint speed, exit velocity, pitching, all of that fun stuff.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard

Edited by King_of_Kings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been looking at the various projection systems on Fangraphs. I've never found a way to post over there tho - (is there a forum there?) - and I post here a lot, so I hope its ok that I am asking this here.

Anyway, if you look at pretty much any set of projections, it looks like its sorted by best to worst by WOBA, with the expected guys like Trout and Mookie at the top. But things get weird pretty quick. Like if you look at the steamer projections, Juan Soto is ranked 6th overall. Nelson Cruz is 10th. Acuna is 35 or so. Now those guys are not being drafted anywhere close to that. So, does their ranking really mean they expect Soto to be the 6th best fantasy player this year? What am I missing?

I use Fangraph's auction tool here: Fangraphs Auction Tool

Using the default 5x5, 12 team mixed settings it projects Soto as 19th best hitter, Cruz 24th, Acuna 9th.  I think that's pretty normalish rankings (yes, Cruz is high but they like his bat).  I don't doubt you that with some different settings you see something else, but I do think they are so customizable you need to be careful about which parameters you search.  Or else the auction engine is just better than the WOBA engine!

Edited by Whizzinator
  • Like 1

I apologize if this has already been covered but anyone care to give their opinion on both free AND purchased drafting programs? I'm wondering which sites are the best for taking league settings and previous live draft picks into consideration while providing you with the next most appropriate pick. 

Are there any good apps out there that have fantasy relevant text alert notifications? I play in leagues with first come first serve waivers and being able to grab the minor league prospect that suddenly gets the call (like Juan Soto last year) or when a closer change happens pays big dividends. I use Closer Monkey for saves but I find they are a little slow at times. I used to really like Owner's Box but that's disappeared. Similarly, if you play in first come first serve waiver leagues and like being the 1st to the wire, does anyone want to be part of a group text so that maybe a group of us can send alerts throughout the season to each other? 

Edited by meh2
1 minute ago, meh2 said:

Are there any good apps out there that have fantasy relevant text alert notifications? I play in leagues with first come first serve waivers and being able to grab the minor league prospect that suddenly gets the call (like Juan Soto last year) or when a closer change happens pays big dividends. I use Closer Monkey for saves but I find they are a little slow at times. I used to really like Owner's Box but that's disappeared. Similarly, if you play in first come first serve waiver leagues and like being the 1st to the wire, does anyone want to be part of a group text so that maybe a group of us can send alerts throughout the season to each other? 

Follow and set up to alert.  Great contributors who are very quick to add call ups.  Exactly how I got Soto last year and Bellinger the year before.

• Like 3

I play in a deep dynasty keep forever league. There are some very knowledgeable owners in this league. Sometimes I wonder if some of them are actual minor league scouts lol. There are guys that are plucked years well before they become dominate major leaguers. Every spring we have a "Rookie Draft". The difference between our rookie draft, and a FYPD we can draft anyone. You can draft a current free agent major leaguer, a minor league player, an international player, a college player, or a high school player. Heck you can even draft your 10 year old son if you think one day he will be the next big thing lol.

I love Dynasty League Rankings. It helps me rank prospects potential, compared to some of the games current studs. I don't think there is a Dynasty Rankings List that ranks current major leaguers, minors, college, high school, and international players, but I wish there was. Someone did one years ago, but they no longer do. For instance in most dynasty league drafts you can see the 2018 FYPD guys included in the rankings, but it doesn't list the current college, high school, or international guys. It would be nice to see where a Jasson Dominguez, Adley Rutschman, or Riley Greene, etc. stack up.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Team Dynasty said:

I don't think there is a Dynasty Rankings List that ranks current major leaguers, minors, college, high school, and international players, but I wish there was. Someone did one years ago, but they no longer do. For instance in most dynasty league drafts you can see the 2018 FYPD guys included in the rankings, but it doesn't list the current college, high school, or international guys. It would be nice to see where a Jasson Dominguez, Adley Rutschman, or Riley Greene, etc. stack up.

I feel like any sort of list that would be ranking major league players, including relievers along with minor leaguers and high schoolers is really not going to be helpful.  I promise you when that one person is doing it, they are just throwing s--- together.

If you were to abide by such  a list, I doubt you would do better than just with your own valuations and guessing based on your own league experience.

Edited by brockpapersizer
9 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I feel like any sort of list that would be ranking major league players, including relievers along with minor leaguers and high schoolers is really not going to be helpful.  I promise you when that one person is doing it, they are just throwing s--- together.

If you were to abide by such  a list, I doubt you would do better than just with your own valuations and guessing based on your own league experience.

Brock I didn't mean that this list was how I managed my team talent and draft picks. The list did help more than you think though. I was able to draft Bryce Harper & Stephen Strasburg years ago, before they broke out. There's not a list right now that lets you know how Adley Rutschman stacks up against Joey Bart & Keibert Ruiz, or how Andrew Vaughn stacks up against Malcolm Nunez or Peter Alonso, or how Josh Jung ranks against Bohm, Gorman, India, Apostel, etc.. There was a point where the guy doing the list was obviously throwing mud just to see what would stick, but the upper ranked guys were ranked pretty fair.

I scour multiple sites on a daily basis in search of the next big thing like everyone else does. These forums helped me find Acuna & Luzardo & Robles.

11 hours ago, Team Dynasty said:

Brock I didn't mean that this list was how I managed my team talent and draft picks. The list did help more than you think though. I was able to draft Bryce Harper & Stephen Strasburg years ago, before they broke out. There's not a list right now that lets you know how Adley Rutschman stacks up against Joey Bart & Keibert Ruiz, or how Andrew Vaughn stacks up against Malcolm Nunez or Peter Alonso, or how Josh Jung ranks against Bohm, Gorman, India, Apostel, etc.. There was a point where the guy doing the list was obviously throwing mud just to see what would stick, but the upper ranked guys were ranked pretty fair.

I scour multiple sites on a daily basis in search of the next big thing like everyone else does. These forums helped me find Acuna & Luzardo & Robles.

Wouldn't the fangraphs board help with that? Wouldn't you want to know about the talent and value grade more than a  subjective ranking?

• tonycpsu changed the title to Fantasy Baseball Resources (Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Books, etc.)