NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Fantasy Baseball Resources (Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Books, etc.)

brockpapersizer

I have a question and it seems this is the most applicable topic thread. Fantasy baseball publications … I purchase several every year. I am wondering which ones fantasy owners prefer? My preference is Rotoworld, Lindy's and I've taken to the Fantasy Guide as it has the best mock draft of all, though the content often needs finer editing as there are frequent typos or repeat information in capsules. Yesterday, however, I came across an issue. I picked up the Rotowire magazine. I typically grab 4-5 every year (the fifth being Streets/Smith fantasy guide, which used to be the Sporting News). Anyway, the player capsules in Rotowire were the same used by CBS Sports. Exactly. The. Same. Since I am in a CBS league, this was woefully disappointing. Essentially, the only useful part of the magazine was the front section, where the mock draft and other information is held. Luckily, I was able to take it back to the store and get my money back. I will not be purchasing Rotowire any longer.

Not sure where to post this so I'll post it here.

I joined a Yahoo Fantasy Baseball league over the weekend (first time in probably 10 years or so) and I'm a little confused with the match up screens.

For my current matchup, it says I am at 0/275 games played but my opponent is at 0/277 games played.  Why does my opponent get 2 more games than I do?

Looking at other league matchups, other teams have more games as well: 0/288, 0/282, 0/278, 0/289.  Shouldn't it be the same for every team?

25 minutes ago, keithj said:

Not sure where to post this so I'll post it here.

I joined a Yahoo Fantasy Baseball league over the weekend (first time in probably 10 years or so) and I'm a little confused with the match up screens.

For my current matchup, it says I am at 0/275 games played but my opponent is at 0/277 games played.  Why does my opponent get 2 more games than I do?

Looking at other league matchups, other teams have more games as well: 0/288, 0/282, 0/278, 0/289.  Shouldn't it be the same for every team?

It's based on the actual players on your rosters and the number of games they have scheduled. Everyone would be different.

8 hours ago, Grinner said:

It's based on the actual players on your rosters and the number of games they have scheduled. Everyone would be different.

Thanks for the reply but I'm still not sure I quite understand.  Depending on the players a team plays, they are allowed to play more games than their opponent?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keithj said:

Thanks for the reply but I'm still not sure I quite understand.  Depending on the players a team plays, they are allowed to play more games than their opponent? 

It's based on schedules; if the Angles have 5 games in a week, Mike Trout gets 5 games.

For anyone who doesn’t play standard 5 x 5, I recommend checking out rotochamp. My roto league is 4 x 4, thus increasing value of SB (we combine RBI & runs into runs produced) and we use K/BB and not Ks. So regular rankings and ADP discussion are of little value to me.

Rotochamp allows you to select number of teams and categories and which projection site you want to use, and then spits out rankings/values based on your league. You just have to sign up with an email. You get 20 free clicks, so each year I’m able to create and copy/paste into excel spreadsheet before having to pay. 

As Castro said dynastyguru and imaginarybrickwall are the best in my book

fangraphs started this dynasty startup adp project but doesn’t seem like they added to it since it’s initial posting.  They still share the adp of 4 high end leagues(all are Obp based just so you know though.)  here’s the link, definitely helpful.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/deep-dynasty-adp-project-initial-release/

Here are some more rankings from other sites

https://athlonsports.com/fantasy/dynasty-fantasy-baseball-top-500-rankings-2019

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/id/24769612/fantasy-baseball-early-top-300-positional-rankings-2019-fantasy-baseball-season

https://www.fantraxhq.com/2019-fantasy-baseball-dynasty-rankings/

• tonycpsu changed the title to Fantasy Baseball Resources (Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Books, etc.)
20 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

As Castro said dynastyguru and imaginarybrickwall are the best in my book

fangraphs started this dynasty startup adp project but doesn’t seem like they added to it since it’s initial posting.  They still share the adp of 4 high end leagues(all are Obp based just so you know though.)  here’s the link, definitely helpful.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/deep-dynasty-adp-project-initial-release/

Here are some more rankings from other sites

https://athlonsports.com/fantasy/dynasty-fantasy-baseball-top-500-rankings-2019

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/id/24769612/fantasy-baseball-early-top-300-positional-rankings-2019-fantasy-baseball-season

https://www.fantraxhq.com/2019-fantasy-baseball-dynasty-rankings/

Thanks BB and Castro!!!

We just completed an offline slow draft in one of my leagues, and it was frustrating to say the least. We are trying to find an offsite slow draft site that we can customize to our liking. We use Yahoo, and it doesn't offer a slow draft option. I looked at one slow draft option, but it didn't suit us. Does anyone use one for their league, and how does it work for you? Can you customize and change the time settings, such as allowing more time between picks overnight but shortening the time during the day. 

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, cr505436 said:

a good list of twitter accounts

First follow all the teams beat reporters. There are several for each team and some are better than others but they are almost always first with line-ups, call-ups, and injury news.

In no meaningful order, some more real life than fantasy.

@PitcherList ‏          @rotographs

@DerekCarty ‏          @BNightengale

@susanslusser          @rudygamble

@PitchingNinja       @ATCNY

@enosarris ‏              @JasonCollette

@sporer ‏                   @SultanofStat

@mike_petriello ‏       @lindseyadler

@Haudricourt

@JeffPassan @DrMikeTanner                

@JonHeyman ‏               @TheStatCastEra

@Ken_Rosenthal ‏           @AdamGarlando

@MarkZuckerman ‏         @dynastyguru

@sdutSanders

@GDubCub

@BillShaikin

@masnRoch

@RyanDivish

@AaronGleeman

@LaVelleNeal

@TBTimes_Rays

@ctrent

@RobBiertempfel

@dgoold

@drewsilv

@JCRMarlinsbeat

@anthonyfenech

@FredZinkieMLB

Edited by Chaco Chicken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/23/2019 at 1:54 PM, Chaco Chicken said:

First follow all the teams beat reporters. There are several for each team and some are better than others but they are almost always first with line-ups, call-ups, and injury news.

In no meaningful order, some more real life than fantasy.

@PitcherList ‏          @rotographs

@DerekCarty ‏          @BNightengale

@susanslusser          @rudygamble

@PitchingNinja       @ATCNY

@enosarris ‏              @JasonCollette

@sporer ‏                   @SultanofStat

@mike_petriello ‏       @lindseyadler

@Haudricourt

@JeffPassan @DrMikeTanner                

@JonHeyman ‏               @TheStatCastEra

@Ken_Rosenthal ‏           @AdamGarlando

@MarkZuckerman ‏         @dynastyguru

@sdutSanders

@GDubCub

@BillShaikin

@masnRoch

@RyanDivish

@AaronGleeman

@LaVelleNeal

@TBTimes_Rays

@ctrent

@RobBiertempfel

@dgoold

@drewsilv

@JCRMarlinsbeat

@anthonyfenech

@FredZinkieMLB

Awesome! Next round is on me! 😎

• Like 1

Fangraphs released ZIPS' three year projections today and there are some pretty interesting items..

most eye-catching, imo:

Juan Soto 2021 Projection: .308/.428/.653 - 48 HR, 8 SB, 119 R, 132 RBI

edit: link - https://www.fangraphs.com/projections.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&type=zips2021&team=0&lg=all&players=0

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1