NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Fantasy Baseball Resources (Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Books, etc.)

brockpapersizer

I've got a pretty deep roster of position players, and on days with a full slate of games I have a lot of decisions to make regarding who to start and who to sit. I'm looking for a resource that will allow me to import my team and show daily hitter projections for my players only that factors in opposing pitcher, splits, etc. I used Razzball's Hitter-Tron last year for this purpose but am committed to playing this silly fantasy game for free this year and don't want to shell out for that service.

Can anyone recommend a site that will allow me to accomplish this?

You can't import your players, but FanGraphs has daily projections

If you have some Excel skills you could download the data daily and have it automatically pull up your players

I've got a pretty deep roster of position players, and on days with a full slate of games I have a lot of decisions to make regarding who to start and who to sit. I'm looking for a resource that will allow me to import my team and show daily hitter projections for my players only that factors in opposing pitcher, splits, etc. I used Razzball's Hitter-Tron last year for this purpose but am committed to playing this silly fantasy game for free this year and don't want to shell out for that service.

If you have some Excel skills you could download the data daily and have it automatically pull up your players

There's no site I'd rather rely on for this than Fangraphs. Where do I find their daily projections?

There's no site I'd rather rely on for this than Fangraphs. Where do I find their daily projections?

Go to the site, hover over "Projections", and at the bottom of that menu there's a category "DFS Projections" with only one option in it.

Go to the site, hover over "Projections", and at the bottom of that menu there's a category "DFS Projections" with only one option in it.

Got it - thanks. I'll take another look tomorrow when it is populated for the Monday games.

Terrible terrible form by Sporer & James Anderson on Friday's Rotowire podcast celebrating that Giles was the closer from McTaggart's tweet when it was well known he was guessing. They were so sure lol. On national podcasts, you have to hedge your bets there.

I realize this post is from a while ago but does Sporer rub anyone else the wrong way? I think he's boring as sin on the S&B podcast and if you ever counter any opinion he has on Twitter he dismisses you as a "pathetic troll" and calls on his followers to attack you. Just a very weird guy.

Edited by absknicks

Started listening to some podcasts for the first time ever. Thanks to the recommendations on here I've been listening to Sleeper and the Bust and Flags Fly Forever, which I've enjoyed quite a bit.

Is there a way to listen to FFF on mobile without downloading it?

Edited by mysonx3

Started listening to some podcasts for the first time ever. Thanks to the recommendations on here I've been listening to Sleeper and the Bust and Flags Fly Forever, which I've enjoyed quite a bit.

Any other podcasts people recommend?

ESPN's is terrible, largely because Karabell just .... I'm not doubting his analysis, but it isn't relevant for most leagues.

CBS is not bad but it has such a huge points league push.

I've listened to a few others such as In this league (which is hilarious), but I'm still searching for 1 or 2 others.

Any other podcasts people recommend?

ESPN's is terrible, largely because Karabell just .... I'm not doubting his analysis, but it isn't relevant for most leagues.

CBS is not bad but it has such a huge points league push.

I've listened to a few others such as In this league (which is hilarious), but I'm still searching for 1 or 2 others.

Sleeper and the Bust & Flags Fly Forever are the best in my opinion and the Rotowire podcast is decent as well. Can't even listen to CBS or ESPN.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Didn't know where to post this, I apologize if it was not the correct board. 

I'm commissioning a 8-year dynasty league. 

This is our spread sheets. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15jrLIs5pZcQYxzmepQP7Ceyk396ixGfdPDeC5qi69LQ/pubhtml

Right now we play with yahoo. And use the spreadsheet and a forum for auctions and minors. 

Do you have suggestions for a better free website that can include some of these features? 

47 minutes ago, Italian_guy said:

Hi all. Didn't know where to post this, I apologize if it was not the correct board. 

I'm commissioning a 8-year dynasty league. 

This is our spread sheets. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15jrLIs5pZcQYxzmepQP7Ceyk396ixGfdPDeC5qi69LQ/pubhtml

Right now we play with yahoo. And use the spreadsheet and a forum for auctions and minors. 

Do you have suggestions for a better free website that can include some of these features? 

Take a look at fantrax.  you can create a dummy league with your settings and see if you like it ... for free.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a site that shows updated average age of minor league levels? I've found stuff from years ago, around 2012, but i'd be interested to see if there's a trend one way or the other (levels getting younger or older) and also what the most up-to-date averages are.

edit: disregard, look like i can pull this data from bball ref. maybe

Edited by osb_tensor

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

Does anyone have a resource they have used that shows how many days a player has been on the active 25 man roster? I know you can gain info on their ABs and Inning pitched rather easily but I can't seem to find a place that shows if they are considered a rookie with their accumulated days on the active roster .

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! 

Still remember Sporer and Sarris completely dismissing Shoemaker as a viable fantasy option 3.5 weeks ago. Seems like the people who actually like them give them a ton of leeway... often their analysis just turns out completely wrong and not only from a results standpoint. 

Anyone got a good website that has info about team-based splits? Like if I wanted to know the Tampa Rays wOBA at home against left versus righty starters? I can't seem to get split data through Fangraphs at the team level nor differentiate home/away success.

Edit: Found most of what I wanted at BBRef

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

CBS is killing me.  Scott White is trying to argue that if Rizzo gets 2B eligibility it won't be that big of a deal.... sheesh.  His opinions are normally obviously flawed but this is ridiculous.  The #13 2B isn't necessarily better than the #13 1B?  Ok... this straw breaks the camels back, time to delete this from my playlist.  Rant over.

That leaves me with just the best two podcasts that I am aware of:

Rotographs Sleeper and the Bust

MLB Statcast

ESPN is absolutely terrible and worse than CBS.  I liked the on Todd Zola used to be on (forget the name now) but they were too category league focused for my tastes.

What other Fantasy Baseball Podcasts are out there that you are listening to?  Primarily looking for something in which the hosts know more about baseball and fantasy baseball than I do and are capable of actual analysis.

5 minutes ago, kittenmittons said:

Thanks I will check that out.  Baseball HQ is what I was thinking of with Todd Zola.  I may give them another try...

Yeah I was going to recommend this one. Flags Fly Forever, the Baseball Prospectus fantasy podcast, is solid too.

Edited by bigpapi88
  • Like 1

Stay far, far away from the ESPN pods.  The typically incontinent Eric Karaball and his hackneyed attempts at dad humor are suffocatingly lugubrious, not to mention often atopical and platforms for dangerously destructive analysis.

The Sleeper and the Bust remains my favorite.  I like some of the Rotowire stuff with Zola.  The Yahoo! pods with Pianowski are also good (especially when football guy Funston isn't opining)...

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Yeah I should have specified I like the deeper analysis that I'm sure the CBS guys are capable of, but don't get into a lot of on the podcast.  

What really gets me is the shallow type of last year's numbers analysis or falling victim to small sample sizes.  Looking at ESPN but I really haven't listed to that one in a while.  

The worst for me is when the hosts spend too much time talking about not baseball.  I'd rather they spend energy on going deep into analysis and point out things I am not picking up on my own rather than witty banter.  Espn is the worst for witty banter dominating actual analysis, and not just their baseball podcast... 

Edited by kittenmittons

CBS is my #1 because of Adam Aizer, but if he's taking an off day, fuhget about it. Scott has grown on me a lot, and often is spot-on with player analysis. He was slobbering over Mitch Haniger all preseason, and now he looks like a prophet. 

Sleeper and the Bust is great

I like ITL when I'm in a certain mood. Their live mocks were fun. Overall it's a tad... Burger King when I'm looking for fresh sushi.. if that makes sense. but maybe that's the appeal? and they know their stuff. You can become a member of their "ITL army" with a mere $12 donation... which seems is a small price to pay for a year of entertaining podcasts 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1

• tonycpsu changed the title to Fantasy Baseball Resources (Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Books, etc.)
  • tonycpsu locked this topic