NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Fantasy Baseball Resources (Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Books, etc.)

brockpapersizer

Yeah I shouldn't have been quote so hard on CBS  they are worlds ahead of ESPN and I'm sure I'll re add it at some point. 

I wish Scott would shown his work more with deeper analysis so I can decide if I agree with his process for getting to his player values.  Sometimes his analysis logic is so off IMO that I wonder if he's just guessing and is sometimes right.  He was on James Paxton like everyone else but also had Porcello way too high because he relies on last year's numbers too much... Like thinking second base is as deep as first base because it was last year...   What do they see in Marcus Stroman and his pedestrian K rates? 

Not gonna lie I love people just using their instincts and using the eye test to predict future performance. So I don't mind the BS on some pods. I should probably go more mathematical with all the time I put in but I like bragging after making gut calls. Little easier since im in only One league...12 years running with high school friends. Competitive but just as much social as it is hardcore.

There is an app called "Sleeperbot" that I have used for football season.  Essentially the app compiles all the news reports and pushes notifications to your phone.  Is there anything similar out there for baseball news?  

Edited by chpatte4

15 hours ago, kittenmittons said:

CBS is killing me.  Scott White is trying to argue that if Rizzo gets 2B eligibility it won't be that big of a deal.... sheesh.  His opinions are normally obviously flawed but this is ridiculous.  The #13 2B isn't necessarily better than the #13 1B?  Ok... this straw breaks the camels back, time to delete this from my playlist.  Rant over.

That leaves me with just the best two podcasts that I am aware of:

Rotographs Sleeper and the Bust

MLB Statcast

ESPN is absolutely terrible and worse than CBS.  I liked the on Todd Zola used to be on (forget the name now) but they were too category league focused for my tastes.

What other Fantasy Baseball Podcasts are out there that you are listening to?  Primarily looking for something in which the hosts know more about baseball and fantasy baseball than I do and are capable of actual analysis.

Baseball HQ and Rotowire are the ones I listen to the most, along with SATB. 

When it comes to prospects/dynasty leagues I listen to Rotowire, Baseball America and There Is No Offseason. 

2 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

Baseball HQ and Rotowire are the ones I listen to the most, along with SATB. 

When it comes to prospects/dynasty leagues I listen to Rotowire, Baseball America and There Is No Offseason. 

I haven't heard any of those... always looking for more. got a recommendation for which one to start with? 

8 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I haven't heard any of those... always looking for more. got a recommendation for which one to start with? 

I like Fangraphs' The Sleeper and the Bust the most. They have great in depth analysis on hitters and pitchers. Their podcasts are 3/4 times a week. Weekends they usually talk about 2-start pitchers for the upcoming week, from shallow leagues to deep leagues. 

Rotowire has several fantasy baseball podcasts. They have their daily podcast where they recap everything and discuss daily topics. Once a week they have their prospects podcast. 

Baseball HQ has a podcast twice a week but each episode is often 2 hours long. Its probably the most boring one to listen to but they discuss lots of different strategies, also for really deep leagues. 

Of all the sites, what other sites are there that you can sync your league to their site, anayzes your team and league. Most accurate and best analysis etc offered. Please let me know, right now I use Fantasypros.com and Fantasy sp but they have different things that I like on both for example the trade analyzer on Fantasy SP , I like the analysis and waiver wire I like on Fantasy pros. Please let me know any other sites and the best site to sync your team and fantasy baseball league to their site.

where does a person find historical stats regarding quality starts? from what i've found none of fangraphs, baseballref, or the bbcube carry any stats regarding quality starts. those are my go-to sites... anybody got recommendations?

Edited by osb_tensor

Just now, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Does anyone else feel that their top 100 pitcher rankings are way off? I'm looking a BUNCH of guys listed after #50 who are performing SIGNIFICANTLY better than some top 50 guys. Are there any other rankings you guys have faith in besides this one? 

Part of it is forecasting. I've seen in a Reddit AMA where they explain it a bit better. Basically what happens is they look at the body of work overall, then they look at what they expect going forward... So for some guys they might be knocked down a bit due to a lack of track record or a poor track record. 

• Like 1

I started listening to CBS again.  Scott White tells the audience not to pick up Bellinger.  I laughed and thought about how you always pick up top 10 hitting prospects when they get called up just in case they are Braun/Bryant/Correa/Corey Seager types who absolutely beast from day 1...  Oops for those who listened to that... 

What I came back to say though, is that the Baseball Prospectus Flags Fly Forever podcast is Amazing.  Wish it was more than once a week. 

• Like 1

Scott white is an idiot. Plain and simple. The only reason he is an analyst for cbs is because he has the look of an intelligent person and his voice sounds nerdy and smart. However, for anyone who knows baseball, his analysis on players, specifically on pitching, is comical. Half time the time he makes zero sense and it's funny when Heath or Chris get into analytics with Scott when debating players because they make him sound like even more of an idiot.  

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a resource that projects out next starts for pitchers? Yahoo only shows the next 5 or so days on the player page. When considering waiver options, I've been manually searching teams schedules one-by-one to scout out what opponents they face over the next month or so. Any way to save a step?

16 minutes ago, jrhmr said:

Does anyone know of a resource that projects out next starts for pitchers? Yahoo only shows the next 5 or so days on the player page. When considering waiver options, I've been manually searching teams schedules one-by-one to scout out what opponents they face over the next month or so. Any way to save a step?

I usually use ESPN for this.  You can go to a Pitchers player page and click on their game log.  It will show you that players projected opponents for remainder of season.  Of course it changes with injuries skipped starts etc. good luck.

i should also add I do not use Apps so not sure if it works with apps.  I go to main ESPN fantasy site.

Edited by Bugs bunny
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jrhmr said:

Try this.

Fantasy Pros breaks it down. You can filter by two-start pitchers as well for the weekly lock lineup streams.

• Like 1

I would like to create a list of players and compare them on stats like OPS, exit velocity, barrels, babip, etc. I know I can view players and stats on various sites (mlb, espn, baseballsavant, etc) but this shows you all players. Is there anywhere I can make my own "watchlist" and compare only the selected players? Thanks...

Edited by St3v3k4hn
Added stat

• 1 month later...

What are easiest places for info or research that you use - especially in these categories:

1. what positions (and frequency) a player has actually played this season to help you project what next year's position eligibility will be?

2. a dl history of players - this year and / or further back (something where you could see player A missed 20 games in May due to hamstring)

3. minor league stats - for current players and possibly past players to make possible estimates and comparisons as to what current prospects' numbers could be expected to be once in majors

Thanks for the help

I totally agree about Baseball-Reference.com and thank the person on here that originally steered me to that site.  Type in any player's name (usually three letters gets yo to a click list (unlike a certain Rotoworld forum search engine, cough).  The Fielding Stats is where you will find the number of both starts and appearances a ball player has had at any position

OT but can't pass up a good old fashioned Yahoo rant:  Yahoo's individual player pages used to carry this info but this year they deleted this extremely very necessary stat so they could make purrrr-ty cut out colored circles to stick the now WAY too overly large player heads into instead.  Looks like players heads mounted on colored balloons which goes well I suppose with their recent trend to "unicorn and rainbow" looks over needed content, sigh.  (Aahhhh, feel so much better after getting one of these Yahoo rants out of my system).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Fantasy Baseball Resources (Sites, Tools, Podcasts, Books, etc.)
  • tonycpsu locked this topic