NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Herndon 2019 Outlook

from Rotowire:

Incoming Jets head coach Adam Gase referred to Herndon as a "unicorn" at last weekend's NFL Scouting Combine, Connor Hughes of The Athletic reports.

Analysis: Herndon was considered a raw prospect coming out of Miami (Fla.) last year after a collegiate career in which he was largely overshadowed by former Hurricane teammate and 2017 first-rounder David Njoku. However, the 2018 fourth-rounder wound up having a surprisingly impressive rookie season in which he was the No. 9 overall graded tight end by Pro Football Focus -- not to mention the Jets' highest-graded offensive player overall. Gase comparing him to a mythical creature might be a bit of a stretch, but Herndon nonetheless had some extremely impressive moments in 2018 -- like his one-handed catch in traffic against Green Bay in Week 16 -- and he appears to have a strong connection with quarterback Sam Darnold. The one knock on his 2019 fantasy stock is a possible suspension he might be served as a result of a DWI charge, but the 23-year-old Herndon otherwise profiles as an intriguing fantasy prospect ahead of the 2019 campaign.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Still start him over O.J.   not like it matters

So Friday, they knew about this Friday. 

Choooooo Ch............

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Bastardo! said:

Incoming Jets head coach Adam Gase referred to Herndon as a "unicorn"

im-a-unicorn.jpg

19 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

Like Herndon but the additions of Bell and Crowder plus his suspension pretty much eliminate a big second year leap. Still a nice hold in dynasty.

agree that herndon is a good dynasty hold, but disagree regarding other points.

suspension will most likely be two games (first time offender, "absent aggravating circumstances").

addition of clive walford is depth, not a threat.

crowder cuts into enunwa's targets as both are slot WRs; certainly, herndon is out there on the field blocking (as crowder cannot). crowder also missed half of last season with injury.

true, bell should become the centerpiece of the offense, but he's also the piece that keeps defenses legit. no doubt that sam darnold will be targeting bell, but defenses will absolutely hone in on bell (potentially freeing up herndon).

not suggesting herndon will rock the TE scales, but it's not unfathomable to see herndon finish the season as a top 12 TE. we've seen the talent, and we've seen what a wasteland TEs can be. we've also seen 16 games, and with TE injuries contributing to the wasteland, health is a big factor, despite his 2-game suspension-shortened season. his reach is complementary to sam darnold's accuracy-under-construction.

GrandioseWetAxisdeer-size_restricted.gif

• Like 3

I like him as a dirt cheap option for a deep league.   This offense could make a big leap forward, rising tide lifts all boats., yadda yadda.   He's a good dart throw for a zero TE strategy.  

• 3 months later...

Herndon was a guy that I was considering at the end of my drafts to rotate as my starting TE as I usually don't draft TE's until real late but now with the 4 game suspension it looks like he could go undrafted in most 8-10 team leagues.

Edited by sjm76
deleted message
  • 1 month later...

shhhhhh.........I can see this becoming a real hot thread once the season starts going.  This is how I see it playing out.  

1. Darnold and the Jets are going to be real good.  Like....real good and people are going to want a piece of this offense.

2. The TE situation this year is already a mess and I think that there is going to be a lot of folks scrambling to get a piece of a high upside TE. 

3. Herndon is literally undrafted, as he should be.  However, there is enough hype out there to gain interest.  There is enough tape out there to highlight that this dude is a "unicorn", he can read the play/find gaps/holes, he has incredible hands, he is a reliable blocker, and he seems to have a great connection with Darnold

4. He is off people's radar at the moment....he needs to be on it.  The time to start buying players for cheap is 3 to 4 weeks prior to their presence being felt.  

I have him stashed in my IR slot, fortunately my league allows it.  I'm not messing around with having another piece of this Jets' offense and I saw enough tape from last year that showed that this kid is legit - from any position on the field.  This kid can be a beast - the ceiling is as high as Gase and Darnold allow it.  

shhhh...don't tell your friends. 

• Like 1

Already holding Vance and Delanie. Hopefully they both have a great week or 2 to start the season so that I can trade one in a 2 for 1 for an upgrade and make room for Herndon.

If you want to get him free, you'll have to get him after week 2. If you wait until the week he's due back, it'll be too late.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

shhhhhh.........I can see this becoming a real hot thread once the season starts going.  This is how I see it playing out.  

1. Darnold and the Jets are going to be real good.  Like....real good and people are going to want a piece of this offense.

2. The TE situation this year is already a mess and I think that there is going to be a lot of folks scrambling to get a piece of a high upside TE. 

3. Herndon is literally undrafted, as he should be.  However, there is enough hype out there to gain interest.  There is enough tape out there to highlight that this dude is a "unicorn", he can read the play/find gaps/holes, he has incredible hands, he is a reliable blocker, and he seems to have a great connection with Darnold

4. He is off people's radar at the moment....he needs to be on it.  The time to start buying players for cheap is 3 to 4 weeks prior to their presence being felt.  

I have him stashed in my IR slot, fortunately my league allows it.  I'm not messing around with having another piece of this Jets' offense and I saw enough tape from last year that showed that this kid is legit - from any position on the field.  This kid can be a beast - the ceiling is as high as Gase and Darnold allow it.  

shhhh...don't tell your friends. 

Anyone have the stats on TEs who flash year 1? 39-500-4 with a 69% catch rate is as solid a it gets for a rookie TE. Very comparable to Kittle in terms of stats. Have to temper some of that optimism as the team dynamics aren't as favorable, he's not as great with YAC, and he's suspended 25% of the season - but make no mistake, it is not usual for a TE to be this relevant his first year in the league.

Agree we should be stashing him now while he's cheap.

8 minutes ago, TLBDS said:

Anyone have the stats on TEs who flash year 1? 39-500-4 with a 69% catch rate is as solid a it gets for a rookie TE. Very comparable to Kittle in terms of stats. Have to temper some of that optimism as the team dynamics aren't as favorable, he's not as great with YAC, and he's suspended 25% of the season - but make no mistake, it is not usual for a TE to be this relevant his first year in the league.

bro...keep your voice down....shhh...your leaguemates might here about your stash...this is a stash you might want to smoke alone. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Isn’t Herndon out until week 4? Can’t imagine Darnold being out that long. Doubt you need to to worry about Herndon w/out Darnold 

WK6, and I would hazard a guess that Darnold is back playing by then??

On 8/29/2019 at 11:04 AM, TLBDS said:

Am I the only person in leagues where he was drafted? 4/5 of my (12 team) leagues he was. Wish I could stash with Henry out.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:56 AM, dudewithabadcat said:

dudewithabadtake

Just now, 9amest said:

he will deliver top 10 value this season... start investing now in leagues of 12 or more teams, highly likely he is completely free, just drop one of your bench scrubs for him

I don't own bench scrubs...but want to find room for him.

AnyEnragedJunebug-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, 9amest said:

he will deliver top 10 value this season... start investing now in leagues of 12 or more teams, highly likely he is completely free, just drop one of your bench scrubs for him

You would think he would have been drafted in the majority of 12 team leagues and higher.