NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Caleb Smith 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

faced the mets, braves, phillies, has an era under 3.00 with excellent strikeout upside, yet still only owned in 16% of leagues

wtf

Makes no sense. I Targeted all three young high upside Marlins starters during draft season and so far so good, even with Lopez not putting up great stats. In QS leagues I think all three will greatly outperform their ADP, and it looks like Caleb could end up maxing out as a top 20-25 starter in what looks like a year of SP transition where a lot of old reliables like Kluber and sale might fall off.

3 hours ago, street sharks said:

faced the mets, braves, phillies, has an era under 3.00 with excellent strikeout upside, yet still only owned in 16% of leagues

wtf

I just picked him up in my 10 team. I think he is a fine SP should give you decent stats but he plays on the Marlins. They are going to be facing Phils, Braves, Mets & Nats and that will greatly diminish his Wins. 

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

People play in win leagues in 2019 for some reason. "Traditional" categories. Whatever. He's still worth owning. 

Agreed. I just know I’m not picking him up for his W/L record and I guarantee that is why he is not owned in more leagues. I wish we would go to a QS setting. Much more valuable 

If he does well against the Nats tomorrow I think there will be a mass exodus to pick him up. You'll see all kinds of articles touting him as a pickup. It generally takes the casuals a little longer to catch on to the sleepers (hence why we call them that name.) 

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

People play in win leagues in 2019 for some reason. "Traditional" categories. Whatever. He's still worth owning. 

I play in "win" leagues because I like it better than QS leagues. Don't like it, don't play it. But don't gripe about others playing in it or condescend to those that do. And yes, Smith is still worth owning, and I proudly do. 

• Like 4

On 4/18/2019 at 9:10 AM, Flyman75 said:

I play in "win" leagues because I like it better than QS leagues. Don't like it, don't play it. But don't gripe about others playing in it or condescend to those that do. And yes, Smith is still worth owning, and I proudly do. 

Fun fact Sergio Romo once got a Win without retiring a batter. 

• Haha 1