NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Caleb Smith 2019 Outlook

Wish they had sent him back out for the 7th as he only threw 87 pitches tonight. Are they going to baby him to protect from injury bug, or will they take the training wheels off eventually? Either way great to see another solid line tonight ❤️

10 minutes ago, fatbob166 said:

Wish they had sent him back out for the 7th as he only threw 87 pitches tonight. Are they going to baby him to protect from injury bug, or will they take the training wheels off eventually? Either way great to see another solid line tonight ❤️

Bases were juiced with 1 out when they pulled him for PH. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

I'm loving this guy so far.  Thank you to everyone in this thread for convincing me to pick him up post-draft/pre-season.

Goes back to @taobball touting him last year. When he talked him up, I took the leap and reaped the rewards until he got hurt. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Looks like Caleb is a must start at home. I'm really interested to see how he fares @PHI next week but I think we might have something here...

I'm probably going to keep him on the bench for this one. If it blows up on my like Urias did against the Brewers so be it. This matchup is a tough team in a tough ballpark. I'd roll aces out in this situation but I'm not ready to put that label on Smith yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fatbob166 said:

He probably won't go 170~180 IP even if he remains to be good. I'm thinking around 120-140ish

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'm probably going to keep him on the bench for this one. If it blows up on my like Urias did against the Brewers so be it. This matchup is a tough team in a tough ballpark. I'd roll aces out in this situation but I'm not ready to put that label on Smith yet.

I’m with you, but more so because I had matz in the 10-0 first inning game and have developed an unhealthy fear of the Phillies that I might have to talk to a psychiatrist about one day.

1 minute ago, erik vulaj said:

Top 20 starter? Yay or nay..

I’ll say nay just because I don’t think he’ll see too many wins.  That lineup is enough to make Stevie Wonder’s eyes bleed.  Plus they’ll likely baby him too.  But I would say top 30 is within reach.

1 minute ago, erik vulaj said:

Potentially, but I'm not ready to place him that high yet. If you're quicker to react to things I can see placing him there, but I think that's too aggressive. It also depends on your scoring system. Wins? Ehhhh. Quality start leagues? Top 20 is within reach. 

Right now he's off to a scorching start but let's wait to see how he's looking in another month and after a less than stellar outing. Not every pitcher off to a good start has top 20 upside, so owners should be absolutely thrilled with both current production and potential to come.

33 minutes ago, erik vulaj said:

Definate nay. Partly because it’s simply too early.  Part of my nay is based on a likely low strand rate and a probable low win total (he’s definAtely  better in a qs league.)

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

7th best xfip in the majors

spacer.png

7th best k-bb ratio as well, which is arguably more predictive of the two. 8th best SIERA. 11th best swinging strike rate. He's been pitching like a stud.

Boyd, Weaver, Gausman are among the leaders in these categories, so I think it's a touch early to buy into the peripherals too much. It's still just been 20 innings.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

gonna roll him out there tonight in my 13 team roto league...he has been GREAT so far for me this season..

have a bad feeling about tonight though..lol

Yeah, i'm not that confident about tonight either. He has been great, but I'm leaning towards sitting him out on this one. 

2 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

current phillies are batting 4-for-21 against him.

that said, his splits indicate a full 3.00 higher era on away games. 

2.98 @ home vs 5.98 away.

probably gonna fade this one, but i don't like sitting him.

what if you also had Nola start them both?