NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Caleb Smith 2019 Outlook

7 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

He’ll trade him for a bag of rocks before paying him.

Imagine what coulda been in Miami this year. Ozuna-Yelich-Stanton-D.Gordon-Realmuto. And they did lose Jose Fernandez to an unfortunate accident. But they have Lewis Brinson!

13 minutes ago, Jpress82 said:

I had him last year and he did well before he got injured! I picked him up on waiver wire before season cause his spring training stats were impressive! I was not expecting he would be this good so far into the season! I have to say perhaps jeter might have gotten the better end of that Giancarlo trade

Likewise. As soon as he killed it in his ST debut, I pounced. Also, Im pretty sure they got Smith for nothing(intl pool $) and not in the Giancarlo deal no?

1 hour ago, Diezl528 said:

My new pitching man crush(replacing Nola). With a fantasy staff to start the season of deGrom-Nola-Syndergaard, Who knew my post draft pickup of Caleb would make those 3 look bad? I streamed caleb some last year till he got injured and we are now seeing what he is capable of if he eliminated the walks. top 20 SP ROS imo(Im a lil conservative I know). Im in a quality starts league which makes it better. Enjoy the ride fellas! This is looking like gold

giphy.gif

He and Glasnow are clearly the best pitchers I have in any leagues. Better than Max, Thor, Taillon, Marquez...fantasy ball be crazy sometimes. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

He’s quietly having a very solid season so far. 

His ERA is 2.00 and his WHIP is .90

6 starts (3-0) - 36 innings pitched with 45 Ks and 9 BB. 

he’s only given up more then 2 runs once (3 runs that game). 

Cool Story Bro but I came so so close to dropping Caleb for Touki or Strahm before the season started. 

I gotta split hairs and stand up for our boy, Caleb. His WHIP is 0.83. :D 

And almost as exciting is the fact that he now has 3 wins through the Marlins first 30 games. If he can stay healthy, that puts him on pace for 16 wins this year. It would be great if he just got to 12 wins this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Under500Forever said:

He’s quietly having a very solid season so far. 

His ERA is 2.00 and his WHIP is .90

6 starts (3-0) - 36 innings pitched with 45 Ks and 9 BB. 

he’s only given up more then 2 runs once (3 runs that game). 

Cool Story Bro but I came so so close to dropping Caleb for Touki or Strahm before the season started. 

Quietly?  He was touted as the next big thing going into this season here.  He had a really good season last year until an injury took him down.  And now he is approaching true ace status on a terrible team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Quietly?  He was touted as the next big thing going into this season here.  He had a really good season last year until an injury took him down.  And now he is approaching true ace status on a terrible team.

Who started this thread hype 👀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I gotta split hairs and stand up for our boy, Caleb. His WHIP is 0.83. :D 

And almost as exciting is the fact that he now has 3 wins through the Marlins first 30 games. If he can stay healthy, that puts him on pace for 16 wins this year. It would be great if he just got to 12 wins this year. 

You are correct! WHIP is the one stat I didn’t adjust after his game last night.  

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yes quietly but I wasn’t referring to rotoworld. 

I know we have been talking about him but outside of RW I don’t see his name much. 

I agree he’s approaching true ace status 

This guy wasn't really on anyone's radar in my league except mine, thanks to these forums.  We switched to a QS league this year so Smith has been money for me and just validates why I hate paying for pitching. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Just stumbled across this fact: Caleb Smith owns the highest chase rate (37.7%) and highest swinging strike percentage (16.8%) among qualified SPs this year.

Really interesting measuring stick this week with 2 starts on tap at CHI and at NYM...

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

This start seals the deal for me. Not that he still needed to prove himself but this was his most impressive outing to date in my opinion.

He had Cubs batters flinching all night at his stuff. His delivery deception is filthy. His fastball ends up right on top of hitters and they have no idea what to do with it. Only Almora really had a beat on him. Bryant's triple was a fly ball in the corner that Anderson misplayed due to the wind swirling.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

He's so deceptive. Marlins got themselves a real one here 

I think deception is the one word that summarizes everything. His stuff isn’t the most electric, but his sequencing and delivery just make it hard on hitters and gets the most out of his talent.

He’s like the SP version of Josh Hader

Edited by UberRebel
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

This start seals the deal for me. Not that he still needed to prove himself but this was his most impressive outing to date in my opinion.

3 walks is a bit of a worry. Although thats nitpicking.  That area seems to have improved from last season. Going forward, he looks like a must start.  Even on a bad night,he should get a good k/9.  

• Like 1