NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jared Cook 2019 Outlook

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I drafted him and I have no idea what to expect tonight. 

I love Cook in 2019. We talk about situation all the time, and here you have a TE who put up 900/6 in 2018 with David Carr in Oakland. Now he’s playing with Drew Brees, in a high powered offense

Cook looked like a legit #2 passing option in that admittedly horrible offense last week.  Even with Thomas getting his usual workload Cook saw 10 targets. He was solid and with better redzone opportu

Posted Images

This would be big.  Once again, BB is on the brink of redefining how the NFL operates at offense.  Getting back to traditional smash mouth in a manner only the Patriots can pull off.  The dual TE formation is monstrously important for the Pats.  There is definitely a level of planned Gronk preservation going on this past year.  Always a reliable target but also very reliable as a diversion.  Dwayne Allen was never really diversionary - could catch but just didn't get the targets - great blocker though...s---.  If Cook can complement this offense with a strong blocking presence, he will thrive in this offense - there isn't much doubt about his offensive capabilities. 

Saints look to be finishing off a deal to bring him in.    Obviously he's in a good offense, but is he:

A. A stud TE1 because he's finally figured it out after 10 years, and he's now catching passes from Drew Brees

B. A TE1 because there just aren't that many good ones, sure, whatever

C. A guy who had an outlier season and will go back to his "talented guy, but never quite hits that potential" ways 

17 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Saints look to be finishing off a deal to bring him in.    Obviously he's in a good offense, but is he:

A. A stud TE1 because he's finally figured it out after 10 years, and he's now catching passes from Drew Brees

C. A guy who had an outlier season and will go back to his "talented guy, but never quite hits that potential" ways 

i would say C!

12 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I am in need of a starting TE, and I offered my 2019 Rookie 3:12 for him to a team in my league who also has Kelce. I wouldn't have done so, if Cook were still in Oak.

So, a combination of A and B, but remove the "Stud" aspect from A.

14 minutes ago, BrianM said:

B.

I'm leaning towards him being decent, but not a guy I have to have.    So- B. A TE1 but only because of scarcity, and he's on the low end of that.     Probably will get overdrafted.    Would not be surprised at all if he reverts back to his pedestrian numbers of his Titan and Ram days- 55-620-3 or whatever

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BrianM said:

C

Coby Fleener 2.0

16 hours ago, BrianM said:

Would not be surprised at all if he reverts back to his pedestrian numbers of his Titan and Ram days- 55-620-3 or whatever

...with the state of the TE position, those "pedestrian" numbers would have placed him as the 9th ranked TE last season. With Cook's signing in NO, he is certainly in the "starting" TE conversation (top 1-12 at the position), and no, that's not an endorsement as Cook being a heavy hitter at the position, it's more about the TE position not offering much past the top 3-4 (big drop off after these TEs last season), and it being a mandatory position.

Most league's I play in don't allow for multiple ownership of a single player, therefore not everyone can own/start a Kelce, Kittle, Ertz, and then you've got say, Njoku, Ebron/Doyle, Gronk(?), Hooper, and then what? After that, everyone slots right in with, or less than:  3 rec/30 rec yds/0.375 TDs per game [over a season = 48/480/6 (which would have put a player in the top 10 at the position last season)]...or they have upside with question marks.

Don't get too cute folks.

19 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

With Cook's signing in NO, he is certainly in the "starting" TE conversation (top 1-12 at the position)

same argument made when he went to the packers. got less points per game than jacob tamme!

38 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

...with the state of the TE position, those "pedestrian" numbers would have placed him as the 9th ranked TE last season. With Cook's signing in NO, he is certainly in the "starting" TE conversation (top 1-12 at the position), and no, that's not an endorsement as Cook being a heavy hitter at the position, it's more about the TE position not offering much past the top 3-4 (big drop off after these TEs last season), and it being a mandatory position.

Most league's I play in don't allow for multiple ownership of a single player, therefore not everyone can own/start a Kelce, Kittle, Ertz, and then you've got say, Njoku, Ebron/Doyle, Gronk(?), Hooper, and then what? After that, everyone slots right in with, or less than:  3 rec/30 rec yds/0.375 TDs per game [over a season = 48/480/6 (which would have put a player in the top 10 at the position last season)]...or they have upside with question marks.

It depends where hos adp falls. Don't let hype fool you on this guy

33 minutes ago, warpster said:

same argument made when he went to the packers. got less points per game than jacob tamme!

Hasn't it been discussed ad nauseum in fantasy circles that Aaron Rodgers has never utilized his TEs?

*I just had a team decline the 36th overall rookie pick for Cook :wacko: There obviously is not a consensus on Cook.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Hasn't it been discussed ad nauseum in fantasy circles that Aaron Rodgers has never utilized his TEs?

*I just had a team decline the 36th overall rookie pick for Cook :wacko: There obviously is not a consensus on Cook.

I can see someone decline that, especially if they are weak at TE.

13 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I can see someone decline that, especially if they are weak at TE.

He has Kelce. *I mentioned that a couple posts above (17hrs ago), but failed to re-state. We are also an IDP league, so 36th equates more to a late 2nd, regarding offensive players being pushed down by IDPs.

Edited by FollowTheLeader
52 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

"apart from that time when he had a good one..."

which can be said for brees as well now

34 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

We are also an IDP league, so 36th equates more to a late 2nd, regarding offensive players being pushed down by IDPs.

so what? it's still bottom of the 3rd round, and despite having kelce he probably thinks he can get more, which is fair enough.

i would settle for a third round pick for cook by the way, but i'd try to get more!

Not sure what you folks are really pushing back against...

If you guys don't view Cook as a possible starting TE (top 12 at the position), fine, and I was in no way advocating for Cook, even with his move to NO to suddenly be top 3 either...just merely top 12, which is completely do-able (never advocated for you draft him early or over the top 2ish TE tiers.)

Like I said, a stat line of 48/480/6 is merely 3/30/0.375 per game, and would have been top 10 at the position last season.

We obviously disagree B) and at this point, I'm out on this topic/thread :ph34r:

Edited by FollowTheLeader
2 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Last year was a historically weak year for TE's though, I personally don't believe that's how we should set our 2019 expectations.  

That 55-620-3 is 135 points.    It tied him for TE10 in PPR last year with Vance McDonald: http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerstats.php?Season=2018&GameWeek=&PosID=40&LeagueID=107644

Here's where he'd land with that total in prior years, in reverse order, starting 2017

One POV there is "fringe TE1", and i dont want to necessarily bicker on that, but I see it as JAG, and that I can easily find another guy to put that up at a low price.   It would come down to if you'd feel the need to use anything other than a late pick for that kind of floor.  I personally wouldn't.  

• Like 1

Earlier you stated:

19 hours ago, BrianM said:

I'm leaning towards him being decent, but not a guy I have to have.    So- B. A TE1 but only because of scarcity, and he's on the low end of that.     

So, it really sounds as if we are saying the same thing. *see other FTL posts

23 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

If you guys don't view Cook as a possible starting TE (top 12 at the position), fine, and I was in no way advocating for Cook, even with his move to NO to suddenly be top 3 either...just merely top 12, which is completely do-able

of course it is "possible", but the thing is, it is possible for pretty much every starting TE to get into the top 12.

i don't think he will, and i wouldn't give away a 3rd rounder for him.