NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jared Cook 2019 Outlook

Cook is going to be a great pick if you can get him in the 7th round. There are no other great receivers other than Thomas/Kamara for Brees, who teams will go out of their ways to cover. Cook has already been a proven redzone safety blanket for Carr...could see him going 7+ TD / 700 YDs for the 2019 season.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I drafted him and I have no idea what to expect tonight. 

I love Cook in 2019. We talk about situation all the time, and here you have a TE who put up 900/6 in 2018 with David Carr in Oakland. Now he’s playing with Drew Brees, in a high powered offense

Cook looked like a legit #2 passing option in that admittedly horrible offense last week.  Even with Thomas getting his usual workload Cook saw 10 targets. He was solid and with better redzone opportu

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, 30Burger said:

Cook is going to be a great pick if you can get him in the 7th round. There are no other great receivers other than Thomas/Kamara for Brees, who teams will go out of their ways to cover. Cook has already been a proven redzone safety blanket for Carr...could see him going 7+ TD / 700 YDs for the 2019 season.

Keith Kirkwood is a name to watch for.

id only want cook in double digit rounds

I also think TreQuan Smith is decent, and Ted Ginn and Cameron Meredith are back and likely get a decent amount of targets (until Meredith gets hurt at least).  They notoriously spread the ball around.  Expect 1-2 TD's apiece next year at minimum for guys like Zach Line, Garrett Griffin, Josh Hill, Austin Carr, etc.  Taysom Hill even caught a TD pass once IIRC.   

I still think Cook's just fine, but I'm not expecting the world here. 

11 hours ago, 30Burger said:

7th rd for a TE not named kelce-ertz-engram? Hard pass.

I would prefer to grab as many  rb's/wrs possible and take my TE after rd 10

21 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Is Ian Thomas still on the team? He was getting targets late last season.

2018 fourth round pick / rookie contract, so he'll be there for a while. decent enough opportunity in the wasteland, decent enough production in PPR

image.png.aeb7599399b6c07101ded46e7bb06c45.png

6 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

He would be a good target if olsen retires 

only until olsen pulls a witten and returns from retirement

without olsen on the field, ian thomas saw enough targets/opportunity to make him streamable: ian thomas' 32 targets during december equaled jared cook, and was 8 more than vance mcdonald, 10 more than chris herndon, 13 more than brate. talent is there too.

vlwcnb3ysevwozq26c5m

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

I love Cook in 2019.

We talk about situation all the time, and here you have a TE who put up 900/6 in 2018 with David Carr in Oakland. Now he’s playing with Drew Brees, in a high powered offense and the most TE-friendly system he’s ever been in. Doesn’t seem logical to expect his numbers to go down with Brees in NO, and early reports are that they already have a great connection.

A TE1 in 2019 without question, top 5 potential.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 3

If he was in his prime maybe but 900ish yards that's elite TE numbers, expect that to come down a bit, but he could notch a TD or 3 more. Still very good TE numbers and yeah could be top 5. A good value pick if nothing else IMO

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the excitement of Jared Cook with the Saints and have even drafted him in a few best balls.  But this just goes to show how much recency bias plays a role into perception.  He has been nothing but a fantasy tease for most of his career.  One great year in Oakland and now he's got these great expectations.

Everybody talks about old man Jimmy Graham (turns 33 in November) like he's some washed up guy who can't run, needs days off, etc..  But Jared Cook is only 6 months younger.  Why isn't Cook falling off a cliff like Graham apparently has?

I think he's still a good value pick, but I'm a little lost on the hype.

25 minutes ago, CooL said:

I understand the excitement of Jared Cook with the Saints and have even drafted him in a few best balls.  But this just goes to show how much recency bias plays a role into perception.  He has been nothing but a fantasy tease for most of his career.  One great year in Oakland and now he's got these great expectations.

Everybody talks about old man Jimmy Graham (turns 33 in November) like he's some washed up guy who can't run, needs days off, etc..  But Jared Cook is only 6 months younger.  Why isn't Cook falling off a cliff like Graham apparently has?

one key difference is that Graham had a potentially career ending knee injury that he was lucky to recover from.  Cook has steadily been getting better the last few years and hasn't shown any signs of age related wear etc.

I get that he previously busted with Rodgers but this situation seems much, much better, particularly with Kamara and Michael Thomas being the only other options in the middle of the field.  Cook's kind of had a similar career path as Delanie Walker and, in general, TEs don't fall of the aging cliff like RBs or even most WR.  

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, CooL said:

Also, he's averaged 800 yards and 16 games over his two year tenure in OAK.  So not a one year wonder.  And the main difference between 2017 and 2018 was more targets.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 6:30 AM, Lamont Sanford said:

I love Cook in 2019.

We talk about situation all the time, and here you have a TE who put up 900/6 in 2018 with David Carr in Oakland. Now he’s playing with Drew Brees, in a high powered offense and the most TE-friendly system he’s ever been in. Doesn’t seem logical to expect his numbers to go down with Brees in NO, and early reports are that they already have a great connection.

A TE1 in 2019 without question, top 5 potential.

That is exactly how it looks to me. This is a great offense for any decent receiving TE. 35 yo Ben Watson managed to be TE7 with 825 yards and 6 TDs on 110 targets. That's Cook's floor IMO. Cook was great last year, easily the best season of his career. Looks like a huge WR out there when he's in space or matched up against a DB, he has great hands and can block. Plus they lack a real WR #2 target behind Thomas (and Kamara). Ginn and Smith are both deep threats and that's great for Cook, clearing safeties out of the middle. Kamara ensures the LBs have a lot more to worry about than Jared Cook. Brees finds the open man and that is going to be Cook on a lot of pass plays this season. 

70 catches, 925 yards, 7 TDs. Cook will be no worse than TE7.

• Like 2