NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Marmol strategy?

AlexxelA

Interested in this, however it's a keeper draft.  Basically don't draft any P until around pick 100, get lots of high quality RPs who have great ERA, WHIP, SV, and punt Ks and Ws.

Have best offense by far.

My league is h2h, has 6 offensive cats to 5 pitching cats, would just keep 6 hitters.

Is this crazy?

I have 2 SP only spots, 2 RP, 4 P, 5 bench

I can daily roster at least 6 RPs.

I can get 1 or 2 later pitchers with good era/whip to boost innings.  

With 7 days per week I need 2.14 innings/day to hit 15.

If it fails I will have no SP but if I win I pay for 5 years of entry fees, can always flip batters for SP.  

I could probably take Acuna, Vlad or Soto 1/2 and load rounds 3-9 with Batters.

I haven't done H2H for years. But when I did them regularly I never missed the playoffs using this strategy.   BUT you cannot wait until round 9 or 10 for your first pitcher. You dont NEED relievers like Edwin Diaz and/blake treinen.  But you'll need guys like Dave Robertson, Jose LeClerc, Kirby Yates.  If you wait until round 10, they're gone.  Depending on league size  you can go hitters in the first 5 rounds, grab the best available RP in the 6th. Then 7th, 8th, 9th you'll want at least 1 if  not 2 relievers but you can use your judgement.

43 minutes ago, Khahan said:

I haven't done H2H for years. But when I did them regularly I never missed the playoffs using this strategy.   BUT you cannot wait until round 9 or 10 for your first pitcher. You dont NEED relievers like Edwin Diaz and/blake treinen.  But you'll need guys like Dave Robertson, Jose LeClerc, Kirby Yates.  If you wait until round 10, they're gone.  Depending on league size  you can go hitters in the first 5 rounds, grab the best available RP in the 6th. Then 7th, 8th, 9th you'll want at least 1 if  not 2 relievers but you can use your judgement.

This^^

Every year I've done it, I clean up. 

Last year I didn't do it and I got smashed. 

I pretty much followed this exact format grabbing best RP in 6th. 

my innings minimum is 29 so I need a few starters to make sure I hit it weekly.  It works like a charm.

2 hours ago, Khahan said:

I'm in a 10 team league, 1st year we are making it keeper.  I don't think too many RP will be taken soon, usually in this league the top RP goes in the 60-70 and then the top 15 closers are gone by 115-125.  I figure I can get 4 closers from 80-120 and then load on non-closers.  Rarely do people get non-closers b/c we don't do holds.  

I did it in one 12 team league this year with 20ip limit and 5x5 scoring. I drafted all hitters until I grabbed treinen (7th) , hand (8th) Vazquez (9th), Davis (13th), and grabbed betances, Miller, Dominguez late. My hitting is stacked and very even balanced for all categories because of this including trea turner, Baez, Rizzo, Khris Davis, Ozuna, Puig, Abreu, dozier, profar, Wilson Ramos, EE and a few others. It is a bit deeper for hitting with a CI, MI, and 2 util.

the downside is my starters are Rodon, godley, Gibson which is god awful but in planning on playing the waiver to hit my innings limit each week. I’m pretty confident this team end up good.

Edited by MSU2661
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, MSU2661 said:

I did it in one 12 team league this year with 20ip limit and 5x5 scoring. I drafted all hitters until I grabbed treinen (7th) , hand (8th) Vazquez (9th), Davis (13th), and grabbed betances, Miller, Dominguez late. My hitting is stacked and very even balanced for all categories because of this including trea turner, Baez, Rizzo, Khris Davis, Ozuna, Puig, Abreu, dozier, profar, Wilson Ramos, EE and a few others. It is a bit deeper for hitting with a CI, MI, and 2 util.

the downside is my starters are Rodon, godley, Gibson which is god awful but in planning on playing the waiver to hit my innings limit each week. I’m pretty confident this team end up good.

I believe this strategy works well in H2H if done right. I think you had the right idea in getting a lot of closers combined with elite MR guys and a couple SPs to make sure you meet your IP requirement. However, using such high picks on the elite closers then having to rely on Rodon, Godley and Gibson to get your innings requirement is risky business. While those closers will very likely mean you win saves consistently I would not trust either of those SPs to safely help reach the 20 innings without destroying your ratios. 

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

I believe this strategy works well in H2H if done right. I think you had the right idea in getting a lot of closers combined with elite MR guys and a couple SPs to make sure you meet your IP requirement. However, using such high picks on the elite closers then having to rely on Rodon, Godley and Gibson to get your innings requirement is risky business. While those closers will very likely mean you win saves consistently I would not trust either of those SPs to safely help reach the 20 innings without destroying your ratios. 

I hope I could get 5-6 closers and 4 MRs, guys that go multiple innings regularly, I believe mixing and matching could get me to the limit, otherwise, I will take 1 or 2 SPs later in the draft who have good ratios and use when needed.  A few RPs have SP eligibility so that makes it 8 P in my starting lineup.  I could take a SP1 to add 6 innings but I dont know if I want to use a 5-6 round pick for that.

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

Agreed. I need to get lucky on the waiver wire for starters or the team will not work out. I definety think it’s possible though. Anytime I’ve won a league it’s eben because of the pick ups I’ve made during the year so I’m hoping for the best!

So, uhh, am I doing it right??? :)

12 Team, 5x5, H2H

C Wilson Contreras
1b: Paul Goldschmidt
2b: Jose Altuve
3b: Manny Machado
SS: Trea Turner
OF: Ronald Acuna Jr.
OF: Aaron Judge
OF Jesse Winker
U: Franmil Reyes
U: Chris Taylor (2b, SS, OF)
Bench: Wilson Ramos, Garrett Hampson

SP: Chris Paddack, Matt Strahm, Jesus Luzardo
RP: Rasiel Iglesias, Sean Doolittle, Alex Colome, Archie Bradley, Will Smith, Jordan Hicks, Trevor May, Pedro Strop

I only have Paddack, Strahm, Luzardo since I got them for $1 and can trade them, lol. 

Edited by CrypTviLL

1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

So, uhh, am I doing it right??? :)

12 Team, 5x5, H2H

C Wilson Contreras
1b: Paul Goldschmidt
2b: Jose Altuve
3b: Manny Machado
SS: Trea Turner
OF: Ronald Acuna Jr.
OF: Aaron Judge
OF Jesse Winker
U: Franmil Reyes
U: Chris Taylor (2b, SS, OF)
Bench: Wilson Ramos, Garrett Hampson

SP: Chris Paddack, Matt Strahm, Jesus Luzardo
RP: Rasiel Iglesias, Sean Doolittle, Alex Colome, Archie Bradley, Will Smith, Jordan Hicks, Trevor May, Pedro Strop

I only have Paddack, Strahm, Luzardo since I got them for $1 and can trade them, lol. 

Yep that looks pretty good.  I'm more of all relievers but gotta fill the innings sometimes...

I picked up a team in an odd h2h, 6x7 keeper league. The extra categories are walks, quality starts and holds. There is also a 5 game start minimum per week. Here's my roster:

C Grandal

1B Cron

2B Marte

3B T Ward

SS Machado

MI T Anderson

CI M Gonzalez

OF Benintendi, Robles, Braun, Piscotti, Santana

UTL Bradley Jr / T White

P Buehler, Bieber, Happ, Mikolas, Eflin, T Richards, Soroka, Strahm, Osuna, Hader, Knebel, Cishek

I know my hitters are not the greatest but I'm thinking that if I go with the marmol strategy, I can trade some of my starting pitchers for hitters and more relievers like Bentances or C Green. If I would keep 3 or 4 starters to reach my 5 games started per week with relievers filling out the rest of the roster, I feel like I can almost guarantee 4/7 pitching categories (Saves, holds, era, whip) while being competitive in K's since it is weekly matchups. Anybody have any thoughts or opinions?