NBC Sports Edge Forums

Duke Johnson 2019 Outlook

9 minutes ago, GOAT-dell Beckham said:

Stubbornness and arrogance is the issue with both of them. O’Brien believes “if I hand it to Hyde and he’s average I can win by 3 points if the defense/ Watson make a handful of plays by themselves”. Watson seems ready to die on the hill of “If I can hold the ball for 5 seconds there’s a 30 yard chunk/ 50 yard TD waiting for me.” While sometimes that’s true, more often in his case it’s a sack due to atrocious offensive line play. Duke Johnson could serve as a versatile chess piece but BOB seems content letting plodders plod. 

Hyde's looked pretty good to be fair.  Houston just isn't a good place for RBs with Watson it seems.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I flipped him the bird before I cut him. That count?

Season can’t start soon enuf. Seems like every 3 pages the discussion starts over with this type of comment. Rinse. Repeat. Start over. 

A possible projection for Duke... --In 2018, Miller had 210 carries over 14 games (15 carries per game). --Backup Alfred Blue (nobody's idea of a solid NFL RB) had 150 carries. He had 24 in the tw

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, GOAT-dell Beckham said:

It is easier to recieve handoffs than it is to learn a playbook and it’s pass routes, protections and more. Time should help Duke.

Time should help Hyde as he learns more passing plays. D used to stand for Duke, now it stands for Drop.

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Another one of these players who used to be the darlings of the "Zero RB" crowd.  Funny those guys aren't around much any more (because they lost all their money drafting players like Duke Johnson, probably).

These hopefuls are crashing daily lol

Duke is one of my favorite RBs to watch play, when given a chance he’s great. The problem is this offense with healthy receivers is built for a vanilla RB like Miller. Hyde fits that role perfectly. Duke will be much better later in the season when WR injuries happen on the Texans. 

I feel each year I fall for one player and overdraft. Duke was it this year. I should have known better. 

Honestly, a guy like Chris Thompson (finally healthy with his juice back) is more valuable. Watson simply doesn’t like throwing to the RBs. 

Sad to say say but Duke will probably be WW fodder in a few weeks. He isn’t going to produce much on the ground and it seems unlikely he get the touches he deserves through the air

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jimithing11 said:

I feel each year I fall for one player and overdraft. Duke was it this year. I should have known better. 

Honestly, a guy like Chris Thompson (finally healthy with his juice back) is more valuable. Watson simply doesn’t like throwing to the RBs. 

Sad to say say but Duke will probably be WW fodder in a few weeks. He isn’t going to produce much on the ground and it seems unlikely he get the touches he deserves through the air

The addition of Hyde, the addition of Stills and the improved health of Keke have torpedoed his value it seems. 

This is my take on Duke so far...

Are we happy with how he was used in Week 2? Of course not. 
Combine that with Hyde putting up a good day, and it was a crummy Week 2.
It may well be that despite the draft capital they spent in Duke, they don't want to involve him in their offense more.
As we saw soon after the Duke trade (with the Tunsil trade), Bill O'Brien may not have the best understanding of the value of draft picks.
With all that said, Duke was the #21 RB in Week 1 PPR. That's not too shabby.
Hyde was used much more than Duke in Week 2, there's no way around that.
But while some people advocate dropping Duke, I think that's an overreaction. Bench him? Yes. Drop him? No.
Unless you're picking up someone on the WW who you feel confident will be a regular starter for you, then dropping Duke could be something you'll regret.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Corleone said:

This is my take on Duke so far...

Are we happy with how he was used in Week 2? Of course not. 
Combine that with Hyde putting up a good day, and it was a crummy Week 2.
It may well be that despite the draft capital they spent in Duke, they don't want to involve him in their offense more.
As we saw soon after the Duke trade (with the Tunsil trade), Bill O'Brien may not have the best understanding of the value of draft picks.
With all that said, Duke was the #21 RB in Week 1 PPR. That's not too shabby.
Hyde was used much more than Duke in Week 2, there's no way around that.
But while some people advocate dropping Duke, I think that's an overreaction. Bench him? Yes. Drop him? No.
Unless you're picking up someone on the WW who you feel confident will be a regular starter for you, then dropping Duke could be something you'll regret.

Reasonable take for sure. I do agree that BOB is useless as a GM and the Texans are screwed after this year.

• Like 1

What was the point of Houston getting this dude if they are barely even going to use him? I wouldn't be surprised if at some point he becomes a healthy scratch if Houston wants to avoid the conditional pick requirements. 

• Like 1

I don't understand how you could trade a 3rd round pick for a guy early in the off season and decide to essentially bench him for some dude you got off the scrap heap a few days before the season started?!

Also you're QB is getting killed and you don't even consider maybe getting the ball out quicker to the best pass catching back in the NFL?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, AJ92 said:

I don't understand how you could trade a 3rd round pick for a guy early in the off season and decide to essentially bench him for some dude you got off the scrap heap a few days before the season started?!

Also you're QB is getting killed and you don't even consider maybe getting the ball out quicker to the best pass catching back in the NFL?

Thats like, your opinion, man.

• Haha 3