NBC Sports Edge Forums

Duke Johnson 2019 Outlook

If you have the bench space, he is worth a hold in case of a hyde injury. IIRC, Hyde is not the most durable guy in the league.

Of course with byes starting in full effect, holding may be difficult. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I flipped him the bird before I cut him. That count?

Season can’t start soon enuf. Seems like every 3 pages the discussion starts over with this type of comment. Rinse. Repeat. Start over. 

A possible projection for Duke... --In 2018, Miller had 210 carries over 14 games (15 carries per game). --Backup Alfred Blue (nobody's idea of a solid NFL RB) had 150 carries. He had 24 in the tw

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Bringthesonicsback said:

Again. Unless you’re a Texans fan or a Duke fanboy, who cares how he gets the yards?? Only thing I care about w this guy is the fantasy output. 4/5 games he’s been highly efficient (on unimpressive runs in extremely favorable situations I’m sure 🙄)..but that’s POINTS. Sprinkle in a few more receptions and you have a deeper league flex play. 

Well the issue is carries, right? Yes he's got a great YPC, because he's getting a handful of carries on 3rd down but he's not really scoring that many point because he's not getting many carries. And I do actually think he's good. I thought coming out he had the potential to be a 3 down back but for whatever reason he's never gotten the chance. I'd love to see what would happen if Hyde went down and they were forced to give him the ball but until then he's probably on everyone's bench or the wire.

Just now, owenmills said:

Well the issue is carries, right? Yes he's got a great YPC, because he's getting a handful of carries on 3rd down but he's not really scoring that many point because he's not getting many carries. And I do actually think he's good. I thought coming out he had the potential to be a 3 down back but for whatever reason he's never gotten the chance. I'd love to see what would happen if Hyde went down and they were forced to give him the ball but until then he's probably on everyone's bench or the wire.

The issue isn’t carries. 6-10 a game is OK for Duke bc he’s showing he can be efficient. The issue is he’s a pass catching back that isn’t getting any passing work.. he’s never been a workhorse every down type of back and I figured that even w Hyde coming in the mix that he’d have value as a Chris Thompson/ Cohen type that actually gets a handful of carries. The carries are there, the receptions aren’t. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, DrRazvi said:

If you have the bench space, he is worth a hold in case of a hyde injury. IIRC, Hyde is not the most durable guy in the league.

Of course with byes starting in full effect, holding may be difficult. 

RB's in this offense are not valuable yet alone a handcuff

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Bringthesonicsback said:

The issue isn’t carries. 6-10 a game is OK for Duke bc he’s showing he can be efficient. The issue is he’s a pass catching back that isn’t getting any passing work.. he’s never been a workhorse every down type of back and I figured that even w Hyde coming in the mix that he’d have value as a Chris Thompson/ Cohen type that actually gets a handful of carries. The carries are there, the receptions aren’t. 

I think we agree more than disagree on Duke I'm just not as impressed with the YPC as you I guess. Receptions are a big issue for him this year, but that doesn't look like it's changing. So what I'm saying is the only path to relevancy I see for him this year is a Hyde injury and a spike in carries/touches. 

6 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I think we agree more than disagree on Duke I'm just not as impressed with the YPC as you I guess. Receptions are a big issue for him this year, but that doesn't look like it's changing. So what I'm saying is the only path to relevancy I see for him this year is a Hyde injury and a spike in carries/touches. 

The YPC is the only glimmer of light I can hang onto w this dude. At least it isn’t 3.7 ypc right? Lol when the next best RB on the wire is Yeldon, a 5 point floor for my end of bench RB is something. Agreed. I would love to see what he could do w 15+ touches. 

Edited by Bringthesonicsback

I just acquired him in a deep league, I see he's second in yards after contact. I don't understand his usage at all, guy could prob play a solid slot WR role for some teams and he isn't getting any manufactured touches? Maybe a Hyde injury (not rooting for it but I see he was limited in practice) will finally force this coaches hand? He would be very interesting in this offense if he got even slightly more involved consistently.

38 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I just acquired him in a deep league, I see he's second in yards after contact. I don't understand his usage at all, guy could prob play a solid slot WR role for some teams and he isn't getting any manufactured touches? Maybe a Hyde injury (not rooting for it but I see he was limited in practice) will finally force this coaches hand? He would be very interesting in this offense if he got even slightly more involved consistently.

I like him this week.  Should be a good game script.  He's filling in for me while Jacobs is on a bye, and I'm fairly optimistic that he gets 8+ points in .5 ppr

Just read a tweet from the Athletic:

Among RBs with at least 40 offensive touches Duke ranks second in yards per touch (7.1)...he also is the only RB in the top 15 of that group to not average at least nine touches per game.

Came a yard or so away from picking up a second receiving TD. It is so dumb that he doesn't see, at minimum, 6-8 manufactured targets a week...he is so good in the intermediate passing game. Instead they are filtering a ton of looks to a lumbering catch-and-fall duo of TEs.

Whatever, Duke is gonna matter in deeper leagues soon, imo.

3 minutes ago, Onion said:

Duke is easily the better RB in Houston.

Hyde should be a distant 2nd in touches here. Not sure why it is not happening.

Yeah it is sorta crazy, every metric shows how good Duke is, but it means little if their coach would rather Hyde plod forward. Really, Hyde has been plenty fine but it seems just dumb to give a 3rd Rd pick for Duke and then under utilize him. It is gonna take an injury for him to get volume. Still, I like Duke a lot if you can get him cheap...esp in dynasty, where I think he can be an UFA next year and maybe get somewhere with a better role.

10 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

Did he start the game yesterday? Looked like he got the first several carries?

Yes he did start, was prob more of a function of opening in a particular package he plays in. He was basically mothballed after that opening series.

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yes he did start, was prob more of a function of opening in a particular package he plays in. He was basically mothballed after that opening series.

Well at least that’s positive I guess. He is just too good to not make a fantasy impact at some point this season. And how much longer can Hyde really stay healthy? Lol

1 hour ago, Onion said:

Duke is easily the better RB in Houston.

Hyde should be a distant 2nd in touches here. Not sure why it is not happening.

That is what everyone said about Duke in Cleveland his entire time there. There has to be a reason beyond the advanced metrics for why he doesn't see the field more often.

• 2 weeks later...

Taken from the excellent "By the Numbers" column:

Meanwhile, Johnson hasn't had more than 10 touches in a game since Week 1. This is erroneous because Johnson has largely worked as one of the league's very-best RBs through eight weeks.

• Yards per carry: 5.8 (No. 1 among 59 RBs with 25-plus rush attempts)
  • Yards per reception: 9.4 (No. 7 among 34 RBs with 15-plus receptions)
  • Yards per touch: 6.8 (No. 2 among 49 RBs with at least 50 touches)
  • Yards after contact per attempt: 4.02 (No. 1 among 58 RBs with at least 25 attempts)

#FreeDuke.

• Like 1