NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Austin Hays 2019 Outlook

High hopes for him to make up for lost time.  So far he looks like a high BA/ISO slugger looking fairly aggressively for his pitch.  CBS doesn't have an ADP for him yet but I'd think it may rise to 225ish or even higher by OD.

Wouldn't expect high BA with his aggressive approach and little feel for the K zone. Even if his K% is decent. He got away with barrel control and a quick bat to destroy the minors.

Now that he is healthy though? There is power here for sure.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:03 AM, Slatykamora said:

Wouldn't expect high BA with his aggressive approach and little feel for the K zone. Even if his K% is decent. He got away with barrel control and a quick bat to destroy the minors.

Now that he is healthy though? There is power here for sure.

sure is looking like a good sleeper though for sure.  5th HR today of ST, although I know just ST.

The person who wrote the blurb for Rotoworld can spin it however he wants, but that's a pretty ridiculous move by Baltimore.  I'm guessing the 60 ABs he got in 2017 doesn't mean a whole lot for his service time, but regardless, he's probably been their best hitter in Spring Training.  Players don't need to play in AAA, which has been proven over the last few years.  This is coming from somebody who missed out on picking him up, so I'm not biased.

• Like 1

Is this the new flagship thread for over-reacting to spring training stats? I like the guy, too, but he hasn't proven he's ready yet and you don't rush a guy just because the guy holding his position in the majors isn't a world-beater. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hanghow said:

Is this the new flagship thread for over-reacting to spring training stats? I like the guy, too, but he hasn't proven he's ready yet and you don't rush a guy just because the guy holding his position in the majors isn't a world-beater. 

He's been pretty highly touted, already made his MLB debut, and is coming back from a tough year with injuries that kept him from the MLB roster... I don't think his spring stats mean much other than he's healthy again. Baltimore's roster is garbage, and he's better than guys in the roster so people are understandably irritated with service time manipulation... he went to college and been in the minors a few years,  he's 23 and going to turn 24 in July.

Edited by StevieStats

• 1 month later...

Austin Hays (thumb) is close to playing in games at extended spring training, Rich Dubroff of BaltimoreBaseball.com reports.

Hays has been on the shelf all season with a left thumb sprain. The outfielder began a hitting progression nearly two weeks ago and is finally ready to return to game action. Seeing as he's been sidelined for more than a month, Hays will likely require multiple rehab games before reporting to Triple-A Norfolk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

WOW...just wow

Former top prospect coming back from injury....smashing in AAA and now smashing in MLB....incredible.

I was stupid and smart enough to pick up this guy and start him in my last week of my roto league.

He super hot, so for any leagues where you can snatch him, i suggest you do !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

WOW...just wow

Former top prospect coming back from injury....smashing in AAA and now smashing in MLB....incredible.

I was stupid and smart enough to pick up this guy and start him in my last week of my roto league.

It's been obvious since at least Spring Training that he's one of their best hitters, which may not be saying much, but didn't quite see this coming when they decided to call him up out of the blue.

I think he's finally earned himself a regular spot in their OF... 😀

5 hours ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

WOW...just wow

Did the same thing, it's always nice when your streamer has a good week on Monday. I had my eye on him in the spring, and will probably have my eye on him next spring as well.

• Like 2