NBC Sports Edge Forums

Craig Kimbrel 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yes, certainly. He would close for any team that is likely to sign him...maybe the exception being if the LAD threw obscene cash at him for a 1 year deal.

I agree. I read the ESPN snip it wrong. Thought it said set up but it said step up lol. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are other options for Kimbrel

How is 3/43 an overpay, let alone a "massive overpay"?

5 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

An unnamed club executive tells Joel Sherman of the New York Post that free agent reliever Craig Kimbrel is a "priority" for the Twins.

As a LJackson/Strop/Morrow owner, I sure hope the Twins make him a HUGE priority. Lol. Go Twins!! 😂

It already seems like a significant overpay, but if that first year isn't pro-rated it's a MASSIVE overpay.

I am kinda shocked he managed to land a 3 year, 45 million dollar deal.  Then again, Theo Epstein has repeatedly shown himself to be a Hall of Fame caliber General Manager at handing out colossally disastrous free agent deals, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 2

The details:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Cubs have reached agreement with free agent reliever Craig Kimbrel.

Rosenthal reported earlier on Wednesday that the Cubs were "pushing hard" to acquire Kimbrel. It appears they pushed hard enough, and MLB Network's Jon Heyman reports the deal is a three-year, $43 million pact, and Jeff Passan of ESPN adds that the reliever also has a fourth year possible with a vesting/club option for the 2022 season that contain a $1 million buyout. He'll earn $10 million in 2019, and $16 million over the next two seasons with the potential of $16 more in 2022. Kimbrel has been one of the best closers in baseball over the last decade, and while his stuff isn't quite what it was just a few seasons ago, he still misses bats with the best of them. The Cubs will likely need the 31-year-old to spend a couple of weeks making minor league appearances before he's ready, but he should be the closer in Chicago for much of the summer.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter                       Jun 5, 2019, 8:38 PM ET

Not exactly the 6 years he originally wanted.  Especially since no way will he be vested by the Cubs for 2022 because he clearly is already in decline.

So off to spring training with him for a couple of weeks now.

18 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The details:

Not exactly the 6 years he originally wanted.  Especially since no way will he be vested by the Cubs for 2022 because he clearly is already in decline.

So off to spring training with him for a couple of weeks now.

You keep chatting up this false narrative in spite of the statistics I posted back a few pages suggesting it untrue.   I just don't get the continual dismissal of him here...  

• Thanks 3
7 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

You keep chatting up this false narrative in spite of the statistics I posted back a few pages suggesting it untrue.   I just don't get the continual dismissal of him here...  

I watched him for a couple of years straight.  I've seen the decline.  I've seen his inability to get batters out for that third strike when most needed.  Before they couldn't lay a bat on his out pitch.  Then they were fouling the pitch off constantly.  Then they were either getting hits off of him or drawing walks.  I'll take what I've seen over stats that never show the true picture any day.  And it isn't just me.  From what I quoted above:

... Kimbrel has been one of the best closers in baseball over the last decade, and while his stuff isn't quite what it was just a few seasons ago, he still misses bats with the best of them. The Cubs will likely need the 31-year-old to spend a couple of weeks making minor league appearances before he's ready, but he should be the closer in Chicago for much of the summer.

Yes he is still technically "good" (at times) like the writer said above but he is no longer "great" and a reliever's decline often times shows up like a natural log in trig.  Seems just a little for awhile then it all of a sudden is off the cliff.  That is what I see happening to him.  Honestly I don't see why you are so invested in insisting that he is still being great when all you had to do is watch him over time and see clearly he no longer is.

I'm sure it will be easier for him in the NL and he certainly is well rested but he no longer is a super closer and is never going to be top tier again though the Cubs are desperate enough that he will be a plus for them given their current closer situation.  Well until he starts turning into a pumpkin again.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I watched him for a couple of years straight.  I've seen the decline.  I've seen his inability to get batters out for that third strike when most needed.  Before they couldn't lay a bat on his out pitch.  Then they were fouling the pitch off constantly.  Then they were either getting hits off of him or drawing walks.  I'll take what I've seen over stats that never show the true picture any day.  And it isn't just me.  From what I quoted above:

Yes he is still technically "good" (at times) like the writer said above but he is no longer "great" and a reliever's decline often times shows up like a natural log in trig.  Seems just a little for awhile then it all of a sudden is off the cliff.  That is what I see happening to him.  Honestly I don't see why you are so invested in insisting that he is still being great when all you had to do is watch him over time and see clearly he no longer is.

I'm sure it will be easier for him in the NL and he certainly is well rested but he no longer is a super closer and is never going to be top tier again though the Cubs are desperate enough that he will be a plus for them given their current closer situation.  Well until he starts turning into a pumpkin again.

Ok so you don't buy into the stats (isn't that what fantasy baseball is all about?) that show he was still a lockdown reliever then so be it.   I do agree that his fastball wasn't as dominant as in other years but he still had a silly 14 Ks per 9.  So how did that happen??  Well he happens to have a curve ball that was basically unhittable as well.   So there's that...

He may not be what he was 2 years ago but I don't expect him to be.  That was an exceptionally year amongst a lot of great ones.   Guess what though neither Chapman nor Jansen are quite what they were either but still darn good today.   

This dude deserves some respect for all the success he's had...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 2