NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brandon Woodruff 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangeglove said:

In the game last night, bases were loaded, Hosmer lines out to Moose at 3B.  Moose tries to double up runner at first and throws ball over 1B head.  Runner from 3B then scores.  Moose charged with error. But the run remains earned?  Why is it earned?  Cost Woodruff a Quality Start.  Machado did hit a double on the next at bat but I still think that first run should have been unearned.

runner would have scored on Machado's 2B hence an earned run

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched this dude's outing tonight. Now, I should preface this by saying I'm not a "baseball scout" or "someone who knows how to dissect pitching mechanics." I'm also not a "smart man" or "someone who

Jose Ramirez got his HR last night from Woodruff?

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, jb_power said:

runner would have scored on Machado's 2B hence an earned run

Is the runner then considered to be at 2B without the error taken into account once the double is hit or is it assumed the runner can go first to home regardless of the guy on 1B in this situation?  Subjective based on where the ball was hit?

Or is it scored that way consistently regardless of the context?

Truly don't know how they handle this type of play.

1 hour ago, treat88 said:

Is the runner then considered to be at 2B without the error taken into account once the double is hit or is it assumed the runner can go first to home regardless of the guy on 1B in this situation?  Subjective based on where the ball was hit?

Or is it scored that way consistently regardless of the context?

Truly don't know how they handle this type of play.

I'd have to have seen the entire inning to give you an accurate assessment

8 minutes ago, CharlesHustle said:

Is this dude anything other than a streamer at this point.

I mean mixed in with a few real nice starts he has so many 4-5 ER games

He's on pace for 200 K's and 16+ wins with a sub-1.20 WHIP. How big of a league are we talking about? 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

No chatter since June 21. He just won his 11th game, has a 10.4 k/9, 3.53 era, and 1.13 whip. I think the concern with him now is how long before he wears down? He’s at 114.2 innings, and I believe he’s topped 120 innings once in his pro career. 

There was never any reason to show concern with him in the first place. HIs peripherals are top of the rotation and borderline ace like. His 2.98FIP ranks him 7th in all of baseball among pitchers with at least 60 innings. His 3.38xFIP is 11th, His 10.44K/9 is 20th and his 3.2fWAR is 10th. He's as set it and forget as just about anyone at this point.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, herschel said:

Is there any concern brewers will shut him down at some point this season?

Well he's never really been above 120IP in a season so my guess is they wont have him pushing 200IP this year. They may have him skip a start here or there.

5 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Well he's never really been above 120IP in a season so my guess is they wont have him pushing 200IP this year. They may have him skip a start here or there.

That would be the worst case scenario.  Given how tight their division is, there is basically 0 chance of a shutdown.  Basically the only concerns I really see is whether he wears down or not.

He's continuing to establish himself as a fantasy ace though. Unlike some others that have hit a rough patch after a great stretch (Giolito), Woodruff continues to roll.

This is likely not good in terms of avoiding missing time. 

I do acknowledge it could be something benign like cramping - but not sure if that would explain the "...hopp[ing] off the mound uncomfortably after delivering a pitch..." described by Rotoworld. It could be an oblique issue what I'm worried about.

I did not SEE the injury BTW.

Edited by SuperJoint
1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

This is likely not good in terms of avoiding missing time. 

I do acknowledge it could be something benign like cramping - but not sure if that would explain the "...hopp[ing] off the mound uncomfortably after delivering a pitch..." described by Rotoworld. It could be an oblique issue what I'm worried about.

I did not SEE the injury BTW.

He collided with Avila covering first on a double play to end the 3rd inning. It looked like he might have injured himself on that play. 

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah I'd imagine they exercise tons of caution and we see him around the 2nd week of Sept or so...

I am all for not getting hopes too high but 2nd week of September seems out there. Brewers still have a playoff race to worry about. I would be a bit surprised if he is not back by the end of August. With that said, obliques are definitely tricky

Edited by mocha4313