NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2019 Outlook

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of a player's high draft ranking is the confidence in knowing they might not finish quite as high as they're ranked but they'll still finish as a sure-fire high end piece. This is a terrible vers

[...] There are currently 3 guys that were drafted in the 1st round who are currently ranked in the top 12 in 5 x 5 (espn player rater). That doesn’t mean we have 9 busts. This happens every sing

He hit leadoff last season and won mvp.

Posted Images

He didnt even play a full season last year. Repeating with more RBIs seem in the wheelhouse. Maybe some BA regression..but fenway has always been BABIP friendly.

He's gotta now be next up for mega extension sometime soon. Trout and Harper have set the Market. Mookie and Boston have baselines to hash this out. No rush, but his ARB 3 is likley FA like $$$.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

His profile is disgusting.  Line drive rate at about 12% after todays showing.  Please don’t be 2017 Mookie.

First world problems—Hoping your 1st round pick doesn’t have just 24 HR/26 SB/100 R/100 RBI 😂

• Haha 4
Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

First world problems—Hoping your 1st round pick doesn’t have just 24 HR/26 SB/100 R/100 RBI 😂

Last years .346 vs .264 is way more sexy though!

• Like 2

Not the start I was looking for but most of his underlying stats look promising. Only not ideal things I see is his line drive rate is way down as mentioned and his hard contact isn't as good as it was last year, but it's not bad either. His contact rates are up and his swinging strike is way low, even for mookie standards, so he's been unlucky with his k-rate so far. The good thing I see is that his drop in hard contact has all been pushed into medium contact and his soft contact is at a career low: 10.2% which is 2% lower than last year and 8% lower than his not so great 2017 BA year.

The whole red sox offense outside of JD has been pretty cold, so hopefully the bats start waking up with warmer weather.

• Like 1

ik its early but this is going to be 2 years in a row "clever" drafters taking someone over trout are going to regret it.

(hopefully this post wont age well). now the time to offer up that 1st rder and another top 75ish player for Mookie if they want him. could probably get mookie cheaper if you grind it out

1 hour ago, NoHablaIngles said:

im annoyed but not worried.

Totally agree with this.  Mookie has been a gigantic disappointment so far this year, but I'm still not panicking about him.  In total contrast to someone like Chris Sale or Aaron Nola, who simply don't look right this year and I'd be very concerned about them.

Edited by FootballFan101
6 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

ik its early but this is going to be 2 years in a row "clever" drafters taking someone over trout are going to regret it.

(hopefully this post wont age well). now the time to offer up that 1st rder and another top 75ish player for Mookie if they want him. could probably get mookie cheaper if you grind it out

I still would if I drafted today.  Trout is a better hitter, but I still think counting stats will be superior for Mookie due to lineup and park factors.  Trout keeps injuring himself on base paths also.  I’m skeptical that one day they’ll simply turn him into a 7-10 SB guy and just pump the brakes on the running.  We shall see.  But in real life I agree, I’d definitely take Trout.

2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I still would if I drafted today.  Trout is a better hitter, but I still think counting stats will be superior for Mookie due to lineup and park factors.  Trout keeps injuring himself on base paths also.  I’m skeptical that one day they’ll simply turn him into a 7-10 SB guy and just pump the brakes on the running.  We shall see.  But in real life I agree, I’d definitely take Trout.

Like I said, I'm not that concerned about Mookie and I still think he'll have a good year, but man, I'd love to play in a league where I could trade him for Trout

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

think you have to give trout the nod in avg and hrs. there is 0 chance trout hits 264 and there is 0 chance trout hits 24 hrs if hes healthy for most of the season

7 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

think you have to give trout the nod in avg and hrs. there is 0 chance trout hits 264 and there is 0 chance trout hits 24 hrs if hes healthy for most of the season

You probably have a point.  I’ll digress maybe I’m just in denial.  I’d definitely take Trout.  Mookie seems to have a more volatile career path.  His counting stats will always be elite though being in that lineup and park.  Trout has less counting stat upside but literally zero floor.

Edited by Cmilne23
Just now, Chickie said:

If Mookie is expecting a $400 million dollar Trout type contract, he needs to start hitting like Trout. Then again, there’s only one Trout.....and then there’s everyone else. Mookie notwithstanding.

I think Trout had a few slumps he needed to hit his way out of also. Mookie will work it out.