NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2019 Outlook

42 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Great point. On that note, lol at people who took Trout at 1, am I right?? I mean, he’s already way below Yelich and Bellinger. And considering there’s only 87% of the season yet to be played, he will never return ADP!! 

Great comparison, except for the fact that, unlike Mookie, Trout's actually been good this year and is not way behind Yelich and Bellinger.  If Trout hadn't missed a week due to injury, he'd easily be ranked inside the top 5 so far this year. 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of a player's high draft ranking is the confidence in knowing they might not finish quite as high as they're ranked but they'll still finish as a sure-fire high end piece. This is a terrible vers

[...] There are currently 3 guys that were drafted in the 1st round who are currently ranked in the top 12 in 5 x 5 (espn player rater). That doesn’t mean we have 9 busts. This happens every sing

He hit leadoff last season and won mvp.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

You really think after this horrible of a start, he's going to finish as a top 2 player overall?  He's already 8 runs, 9 HR, 23 RBI, 2 SB, and 146 points in batting average below Yelich.  Even if you think Mookie will be better than Yelich rest of the season (which is highly debatable), I can't see him making up that gigantic hole on him.

Why does Mookie have to finish as a top 2 player? And what does Yelich have to do with anything?

7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Bat starting to warm up.  Only 1 SB attempt in 27 games though.  Any worry there?

A bit. Like, he's still going to steal 20 by seasons end... but 30, at this pace, might be difficult. He's been batting 2nd most of the year (1st last year), so I think that his approach might be different. I'd prefer him as the table-setter in that lineup, and I anticipate that he ends up back there since Anthony Benintendohisnameishardtospell isn't the ideal guy for the 1-hole (imo) based on his skillset. But we'll see.

Caught stealing last night.  Now 1 for 2 on the season.  After 30 last year, is anyone downgrading expectations for bags this year?  Any explanation where the speed went?  Everyone else seems to be running wild on that team even Devers.  26 year old legs too stiff now?

On 5/8/2019 at 12:43 PM, Cmilne23 said:

Caught stealing last night.  Now 1 for 2 on the season.  After 30 last year, is anyone downgrading expectations for bags this year?  Any explanation where the speed went?  Everyone else seems to be running wild on that team even Devers.  26 year old legs too stiff now?

I still think the rest of his stat line will come around, but like you, I'm worried the days of Mookie stealing 25 bases a year are gone.  At only 26 years old, I think Mookie still has enough speed, but steals are usually more about wanting to do than being able to do it, and it looks like Mookie wants to save wear and tear on his body.  Reminds me of how Trout's stolen bases dropped after his first two years, even though he was still young.

1 minute ago, FootballFan101 said:

I still think the rest of his stat line will come around, but like you, I'm worried the days of Mookie stealing 25 bases a year are gone.  At only 26 years old, I think Mookie still has enough speed, but steals are usually more about wanting to do than being able to do it, and it looks like Mookie wants to save wear and tear on his body.  Reminds me of how Trout's stolen bases dropped after his first two years, even though he was still young.

Well yeah he hasnt signed that mega deal thats incoming yet. Not to mention hes not batting leadoff. I think its going to be like 15-20 max. 

3 minutes ago, buzzkilloton said:

Well yeah he hasnt signed that mega deal thats incoming yet. Not to mention hes not batting leadoff. I think its going to be like 15-20 max. 

Honestly 15-20 steals seems really optimistic.  Given that he only has 2 so far, 15-20 steals for the season would assume he's going to run almost as often the rest of the season as he did last year.

Edited by FootballFan101
2 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Honestly 15-20 steals seems really optimistic.  Given that he only has 2 so far, 15-20 steals for the season would assume he's going to run almost as often the rest of the season as he did last year.

Eh. 3/month all season gets you to 18. That won’t be tough.

Last year he had 3 SB/1 CS in Mar/April, then had 10 SB in May before averaging 5-6 the remaining months. 

In 2017 he also had 3 SB in Mar/April, his lowest month. 

This is what he does every year. Could he stop running a bit, like Trout? For sure. But I have no doubts he gets to 15+. 

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

spacer.png

Mookie Betts will not match his stats from last season again. will he come close...yeah. when was Betts trade value at its highest? this off-season. you think Betts will bat .346 again and do 30/30?

3 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

Mookie Betts will not match his stats from last season again. will he come close...yeah. when was Betts trade value at its highest? this off-season. you think Betts will bat .346 again and do 30/30?

No, I don’t. Last season was likely his ceiling. But he has a lot of other great years and his floor is insane. Trying to trade him because he won’t go .346/30/30 again? Lol

3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

No, I don’t. Last season was likely his ceiling. But he has a lot of other great years and his floor is insane. Trying to trade him because he won’t go .346/30/30 again? Lol

you draft him for his floor. similar to Trout. if you could get two really good players for him who not. its not like he is going to start playing like Vlad Jr. he is on pace for well over 100 runs, 30 HRs and good RBIs.

3 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

you draft him for his floor. similar to Trout. if you could get two really good players for him who not. its not like he is going to start playing like Vlad Jr. he is on pace for well over 100 runs, 30 HRs and good RBIs.

Only players you trade him for are Trout or Yelich. Otherwise hes the 3rd best player in fantasy.

Edited by buzzkilloton
  • Like 1
On 5/11/2019 at 9:15 AM, mlb2019 said:

What's really hurting his value this year (why he's only the #32 ranked player) so far is the lack of stolen bases compared to year's past.  If the steals aren't going to come back, I'd rather have someone like Arenado, in addition to Trout and Yelich, than Mookie.  Without steals, Mookie is still a first-round caliber player, but no longer a top 3 player in my opinion.  Hopefully he'll start running again.

Edited by FootballFan101