NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

What's really hurting his value this year (why he's only the #32 ranked player) so far is the lack of stolen bases compared to year's past.  If the steals aren't going to come back, I'd rather have someone like Arenado, in addition to Trout and Yelich, than Mookie.  Without steals, Mookie is still a first-round caliber player, but no longer a top 3 player in my opinion.  Hopefully he'll start running again.

ok do you the trade than.

Edited by mlb2019
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of a player's high draft ranking is the confidence in knowing they might not finish quite as high as they're ranked but they'll still finish as a sure-fire high end piece. This is a terrible vers

[...] There are currently 3 guys that were drafted in the 1st round who are currently ranked in the top 12 in 5 x 5 (espn player rater). That doesn’t mean we have 9 busts. This happens every sing

He hit leadoff last season and won mvp.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

What's really hurting his value this year (why he's only the #32 ranked player) so far is the lack of stolen bases compared to year's past.  If the steals aren't going to come back, I'd rather have someone like Arenado, in addition to Trout and Yelich, than Mookie.  Without steals, Mookie is still a first-round caliber player, but no longer a top 3 player in my opinion.  Hopefully he'll start running again.

That’s like saying I would rather have a blue Rolls Royce over a red one. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

red Sox score 12 runs, Betts does nothing. what else is new

He’s hitting like .100 in games they score 10+.  Seems like he does most of his damage in closer games.  Mookie Monday’s just aren’t the same this year.

• Like 1

Betts and Benintendi are both struggling. this might sound simple or even dumb but switching both of them in the batting order was dumb from the start. should have sold high on him in a keeper league.

48 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

He’s hitting like .100 in games they score 10+.  Seems like he does most of his damage in closer games.  Mookie Monday’s just aren’t the same this year.

He's also hitting .360 over the past 30. He'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Hitting leadoff ROS. Can't think this is good for his value.

I've been really disappointed in Mookie this year. Obviously I didn't think he'd repeat last year, but all 5 categories except for runs scored have been worse than I was expecting.

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I've been really disappointed in Mookie this year. Obviously I didn't think he'd repeat last year, but all 5 categories except for runs scored have been worse than I was expecting.

He’s been steady but hasn’t had a big time hot streak yet.  K:BB still elite have to think he’ll go on a tear soon.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, buzzkilloton said:

He hit leadoff last season and won mvp.

True but it's his power and RBI numbers that have been suffering this year. Gotta think he starts hitting for average and lays off the power IF there's an approach change.

41 minutes ago, RotoGenius said:

His career line is 302/372/515.... is it so crazy to think his true talent level is closer to that than his MVP level from last year?

Yes he's not going to sniff last year's numbers but he's still a threat to get 25/25 even in a "down" year. 

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

He’s been steady but hasn’t had a big time hot streak yet.  K:BB still elite have to think he’ll go on a tear soon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hoping/expecting for Mookie to turn it around and start producing like a first rounder.  Like you said, his K:BB ratio is elite and indicates his batting average has probably been unlucky so far this year.

I'm just saying that Mookie so far has been pretty disappointing fantasy-wise relative to his ADP.  He's been worse than his career averages in all 5 standard fantasy  categories except for runs scored so far this year.  I wasn't expecting a repeat of last year, but I wasn't expecting that he'd suddenly decline from his career averages at only  26 years old either.

• Like 1

I find it odd that Mookie has alternated between MVP years and very good years over the last 4 years, yet the very good years seam to coincide with the juiced ball seasons  (2017 & 2019 if you’re inclined to believe). I don’t know what to make of it (or if there is anything to it) but I just find it strange that he’s not hitting more dingers along with the rest of baseball.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

We just need one hot streak and everything will be alright. Hes still going 4th in the NFCB mid season behind Trout/Yelich/Bellinger. 

True but the gap between him and those guys is wide right now.  And there's no debate or hesitation in the fact that you'd easily take all those guys over him right now.  They are all crushing the ball with the same or better batting averages.  Mookie is only good in runs but the others are destroying him in all categories.  He's a little overrated for a first rounder to be honest.   he has 9 home runs when guys like Yelich and Bellinger have double the homers and 20 more rbis.  Mookie's stats are more like a 3rd rounder this year.

Edited by JetsAwesome
14 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

We just need one hot streak and everything will be alright. Hes still going 4th in the NFCB mid season behind Trout/Yelich/Bellinger. 

Man, how does Arenado not go in the top 4 especially considering the Coors factor? 

1 hour ago, JetsAwesome said:

True but the gap between him and those guys is wide right now.  And there's no debate or hesitation in the fact that you'd easily take all those guys over him right now.  They are all crushing the ball with the same or better batting averages.  Mookie is only good in runs but the others are destroying him in all categories.  He's a little overrated for a first rounder to be honest.   he has 9 home runs when guys like Yelich and Bellinger have double the homers and 20 more rbis.  Mookie's stats are more like a 3rd rounder this year.

Red Sox scored 8 runs, but Mookie goes 0-5.

Really starting to get frustrated with Mookie now.  At least in his down year in 2017, he was still very good in everything else besides batting average.  This year, he's been a big disappointed in every category except for runs.

Edited by FootballFan101
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, meh2 said:

I find it odd that Mookie has alternated between MVP years and very good years over the last 4 years, yet the very good years seam to coincide with the juiced ball seasons  (2017 & 2019 if you’re inclined to believe).

Not sure Im following. You think the ball was juiced in 2017, they went hack to the old ball in 2018, then juiced the ball again this year? 

Even if that true why/how would it affect Mookie specifically?

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Man, how does Arenado not go in the top 4 especially considering the Coors factor? 

They really value speed in these leagues. As someone who owns Betts in 2/11 leagues and 0 Arenado I'd take him over Betts as well. That said Betts should hit a hot streak and be fine. Just be happy your 1st rounder wasnt JoRam.

• Like 1
On 6/2/2019 at 9:19 PM, JetsAwesome said:

I don't know if I've ever been so disappointed in a player as in Mookie this year.  Sure, I've had picks that have been worse and I've had players that got injured for most of the year, but I had such high hopes for Mookie going into the season and he's come in so far under what I thought his floor was.  I thought I was getting a 5 cat stud whose upside was the #1 overall player (as he had been 2 of the previous 3 years) and whose floor was still 2nd round caliber (as in his down year in 2016).  Instead, I've gotten basically a 1 cat player (runs scored).