Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2019 March/April Closer Thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, CraftyRighty said:

So anyone buy Taylor Rogers as a guy who can get full time duties?

Not likely being a lefty out of the pen...he will get some saves though and could be the next Josh Hader. I think he should be owned in all leagues right now

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big sigh of relief for Holland believers as he pitched a perfect inning for a save against one of the best teams in the National league. Huge confidence boost for him and his owners. He should be owned in all leagues imo

Edited by Dr. Whom
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I tried warning people a few pages back! The brewers pen has gone from a massive strength to a veritable borderline weakness astonishingly quick. Fat Albers, Williams and esp Barnes are not the guys you want pitching in close games. 

 

Yeah I punted already. He has nothing. 88 mph "cutter" down the middle for Goldy.

I thought he had better stuff than this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chud12 said:

Got to admit seeing Barnes close stung a lot. My shares of Brasier have tumbled. 

You never know. 3rd time for Barnes could be the Strickland.

Kidding aside, after digging more it seems part of the Brasier narrative was that he had more incentive than Barnes to be preserved for one inning. Given Cora’s statement that he knew what he was going to do since November, Brasier is likely just a handcuff moving forward (albeit a good one). Would rather have a Buttrey over Brasier now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mariners late inning games should be fun.  If they’re up in the 7th I’ll be running to live bets to place on opposing team.  All these names made me laugh.  Fiesta Festa could be party time in the 9th....for opposing batters.  Lord help this club.  

Edited by Cmilne23
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MoonyGray said:

That's fair. I am trying to justify my Minter and Jeffress stashes.

 

Of the two, I'd favor Jeffress (I have him stashed too). He was the guy last year when Knebel was hurt and he was great. Don't see any reason they wouldn't go back to him.

Of course both guys save opps hinge on where Kimbrel signs and he's rumored to both teams unfortunately

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chud12 said:

Got to admit seeing Barnes close stung a lot. My shares of Brasier have tumbled. 

Unfortunately not a total surprise since Brasier hardly pitched in the spring.  Still, it was surprising he hasn't been used at all yet.  I'm hanging onto him for now, but more because I don't have a better option right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The mental toughness not to wilt under pressure.  The intimation factor.   Bulldog-like.  In charge.  The closer version of the "it" factor.

Do you have any way of determining this other than your own personal gut feeling?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chud12 said:

Got to admit seeing Barnes close stung a lot. My shares of Brasier have tumbled. 

 

MRs have value in my leagues for their ratios and Ks, so I’m willing to hang tight with him as long as he pitches well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Unfortunately not a total surprise since Brasier hardly pitched in the spring.  Still, it was surprising he hasn't been used at all yet.  I'm hanging onto him for now, but more because I don't have a better option right now.

 

I'd say it's better he hasn't pitched. They got blown out thursday and weren't winning until the 9th yesterday. Means they want him for high leverage

Edited by street sharks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Do you have any way of determining this other than your own personal gut feeling?

(About Brasier having mound presence).  Eyeballs.  And hardly just from me.  Other posters here have said the same thing.  As well as the hardcore, cynical Boston media etc.  Also look up that clip when he waved that Yankee batter back into the batting box last year.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

Eyeballs.  And hardly just from me.  Other posters here have said the same thing.  As well as the hardcore, cynical Boston media etc.  Also look up that clip when he waved that Yankee batter back into the batting box last year.

Well unless any of you have talked to him in person for any length of time, this seems like lazy armchair speculation at best. I don't understand why that way of judging a guy should be given the slightest shred of credibility, but I'm open to being shown how or why I'm wrong. I've been wrong before and always appreciate learning something new. He has a career 1.35 WHIP. How can you differentiate between a guy who just isn't very good and a guy who can't handle it mentally? 

As far as what radio personalities are saying, Idon't think I'll put a lot of faith in Boston sports talk, but I wish you luck with that strategy. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Well unless any of you have talked to him in person for any length of time, this seems like lazy armchair speculation at best. I don't understand why that way of judging a guy should be given the slightest shred of credibility, but I'm open to being shown how or why I'm wrong. I've been wrong before and always appreciate learning something new. He has a career 1.35 WHIP. How can you differentiate between a guy who just isn't very good and a guy who can't handle it mentally? 

As far as what radio personalities are saying, Idon't think I'll put a lot of faith in Boston sports talk, but I wish you luck with that strategy. 

(About Brasier again).  Well if you can't see mound presence I don't know what to say to you.  It is pretty darn obvious to anyone who follows baseball when a reliever has it or not.  And we are talking beat reporters, not radio personalities.  Also people like Cora and Dombrowski have spoken about it.  But if you can't judge a player's it factor after seeing him then there is nothing I can ever say to you.  If you can't tell the difference between pitchers that don't want to throw the next ball up to the hitter vs pitchers that are waving players back into the batter's box because they WANT the ball and know they can dominate?  Well I'm speechless.  It is one of the first things you pick up watching baseball games.

And where on earth did you get that WHIP number?  Minors?  Korea?  Little League?  In the Majors his career WHIP is 0.867 according to Baseball Reference combining his brief cup of coffee 2015 time with the Angels and last year.   His WHIP since being called up by the Red Sox is 0.77.  Had an ERA of 1.60 last year too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...