NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2019 March/April Closer Thread

Acknowledging the SSS, Festa has only struck out 5 in 11 MLB innings, but I see that he had K-rates above 12.0 in both 2017 and 2018 in the minors. However, those stops were a high-A and AA before jumping to Seattle last year. Has anyone seen him to say whether he could legitimately have a good K-rate in the Majors? His A and AA numbers were solid but not exactly awe-inspiring, so I'm curious to see how effective he can actually be over the long haul of a season, especially if he starts getting save opps. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Anybody catch Robert Stock dude outta the SD pen? He is one to keep an eye on if Yates gets bit by homer-itis again.

His fastball is a bit straight (but is upper 90s) but the bigger issue is he lacks command of it.  His slider is nothing to write home about either. 

Having said that, there's no one else in that bullpen at the moment that I could pimp hard over him as the next in line.   I've had my eye on Maton for a while and I THINK SD would like him to prove he could do it but he didn't get off to a good start. 

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

His fastball is a bit straight (but is upper 90s) but the bigger issue is he lacks command of it.  His slider is nothing to write home about either. 

Having said that, there's no one else in that bullpen at the moment that I could pimp hard over him as the next in line.   I've had my eye on Maton for a while and I THINK SD would like him to prove he could do it but he didn't get off to a good start. 

Trey Wingenter is intriguing IMO...or at least I was impressed with his stuff when watching him.

• Like 1

Just now, Blood Brother said:

Trey Wingenter is intriguing IMO...or at least I was impressed with his stuff when watching him.

Ah yes, good name to file away.   

I think there's opportunity in April for the Maton/Wingenter/Stock group to stake a claim.

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

(About Brasier again).  Well if you can't see mound presence I don't know what to say to you.  It is pretty darn obvious to anyone who follows baseball when a reliever has it or not.  And we are talking beat reporters, not radio personalities.  Also people like Cora and Dombrowski have spoken about it.  But if you can't judge a player's it factor after seeing him then there is nothing I can ever say to you.  If you can't tell the difference between pitchers that don't want to throw the next ball up to the hitter vs pitchers that are waving players back into the batter's box because they WANT the ball and know they can dominate?  Well I'm speechless.  It is one of the first things you pick up watching baseball games.

And where on earth did you get that WHIP number?  Minors?  Korea?  Little League?  In the Majors his career WHIP is 0.867 according to Baseball Reference combining his brief cup of coffee 2015 time with the Angels and last year.   His WHIP since being called up by the Red Sox is 0.77.  Had an ERA of 1.60 last year too.

Ah, I see the disconnection. You keep referring to Braiser, but your initial comment was about Barnes when you said he lacks mound presence. Barnes has that career WHIP. 

If you simply want to use "presence" as a shorthand for WHIP then I understand where you're coming from. I'd much rather go with a guy with a WHIP under 1 than a guy of 1.35. are you implying Barnes, and perhaps other players with a high WHIP, only have that because the lack the mound presence?

My question was, and continues to be how you actually measure that alleged mound presence. It seems there really isn't any way other than saying anyone who doesn't clearly see it doesn't follow baseball at all and you have a skill set I lack. Thank you for that feedback. I'll factor that into your future opinions expressed here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Ah, I see the disconnection. You keep referring to Braiser, but your initial comment was about Barnes when you said he lacks mound presence. Barnes has that career WHIP. 

If you simply want to use "presence" as a shorthand for WHIP then I understand where you're coming from. I'd much rather go with a guy with a WHIP under 1 than a guy of 1.35. are you implying Barnes, and perhaps other players with a high WHIP, only have that because the lack the mound presence?

My question was, and continues to be how you actually measure that alleged mound presence. It seems there really isn't any way other than saying anyone who doesn't clearly see it doesn't follow baseball at all and you have a skill set I lack. Thank you for that feedback. I'll factor that into your future opinions expressed here.

You thought I was talking about Barnes?  No wonder we weren't on the same page.  No, Brasier has the bulldog presence.  He WANTS the ball.  He is the anti-Buchholz in that regard.

Barnes?  Someone gave a good take on Barnes in these here parts.  As soon as he gets a comfort feel at something he gets pushed to the next level where he goes through a discomfort level for a period before he settles in ... or not.  Middle reliever to set-up and now to being a sometimes closer.  He adjusted to set-up eventually.  But he still to this day can't handle coming into a situation with men already on base.  So yeah it might be possible he will grow into closing but I'm not holding my breath.

Also his "ability" to collapse not coming into a clean inning ironically may well have helped him get a chance at closing because I don't think Cora trusts him too much with people on base.  And those problems don't even reflect on his ERA because the runs that come in with him on the mound in those situations are charged to someone else.

Of course things could be worst for the Sox.  If the Dodgers hadn't made that absolutely stupid contract offer to Joe Kelly based only on his playoff run and what he did to LA in the WS the Sox might have re-signed him for peanuts and he'd be in the mix now too, hah.  (God, Kelly was a fun and quirky guy but a terribly inconsistent reliever except for that one magic period when he climbed Mount Olympus in last year's playoffs and mesmerized the Dodgers' front office into offering him that absurd contract.  Luck of the Irish.).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

How was I wrong?  I said Brasier if his toe injury didn't linger.  It did.  Brasier will be the eventual closer.  Barnes doesn't have the mound presence for it.

This is how I thought you were talking about Barnes lacking mound presence.

37 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

We might get insight tonight if there's a save opp as Yates shouldn't go 3 days in a row. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Ah, okay.  I was thinking 100% Brasier and just used Barnes as the foil but the wording was bad I see.  Me bad.

No worries. Point remains regardless. Whether you're trying to determine good mound presence or bad mound presence (from my understanding you're saying Barnes doesn't have good presence and Brasier does) I don't see any way to measure it. You do. :shrug:

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

No worries. Point remains regardless. Whether you're trying to determine good mound presence or bad mound presence (from my understanding you're saying Barnes doesn't have good presence and Brasier does) I don't see any way to measure it. You do. :shrug:

Not everything can be "measured."  Humans aren't robots.

59 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Sat 91.

I think he started at least two and maybe 3 hitters with 3-0 counts. It seemed like he was throwing all fastballs too. It will be nerve racking to watch him in a an actual save situation.

13 minutes ago, rabaak said:

I think he started at least two and maybe 3 hitters with 3-0 counts. It seemed like he was throwing all fastballs too. It will be nerve racking to watch him in a an actual save situation.

I'm trying to get rid of him where I own him.   As @Blood Brother will attest he's looked like crap all spring.

At 94/95 his lack of command is somewhat acceptable.  At 91 he is a disaster waiting to happen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miketrout009 said:

Here we go again. Michael Givens in the 8th instead of the 9th. 😅

It will be very interesting to see who comes in for the 9th. 

Either 2 IP Save or they rather him face 4-5-6 which is much more dangerous then 7-8-9-1 but then extreme danger if it gets to 2 again.