NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2019 March/April Closer Thread

27 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

Vazquez in the dreaded non-save situation. Ugh

Luckily Kela was able to finish it off for him.  Regardless, he was pretty wild, but obviously not concerned over one appearance.

11 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Gearrin in for the 9th for a save opp for the Mariners

This kid is absolutely painful to watch. 

Edit: yanked after his third walk. 

Edited by Rh3l22

Just now, NolanRyan said:

Walks 3. . . . who's up next in the Seattle closer merry-go-round? Looks like Gearrin wont get another shot for a while.

Swarzak is going to be activated on Tuesday, he'd be my guess. If he got the job he'd be worth holding too, Gearrin wouldn't be worth the headache even if he held it.

2 minutes ago, Rh3l22 said:

This kid is absolutely painful to watch. 

True, but I'm also not sure why they kept calling the same pitch over and over again when it was obvious he couldn't hit it on the outer part of the plate.

Still, that was awful.  I'm already out of the Mariners' situation after this.  It's too much of a mess to be worthwhile right now.

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

True, but I'm also not sure why they kept calling the same pitch over and over again when it was obvious he couldn't hit it on the outer part of the plate.

Still, that was awful.  I'm already out of the Mariners' situation after this.  It's too much of a mess to be worthwhile right now.

Agreed. He was so bad that even if he miraculously converted the save, I was going to cut bait in my leagues. He didn’t look like he had a single pitch he could throw for a strike. He threw 3 strikes. One was a swing, the other two were outside the strike zone and called strikes pretty generously. 

Eck mentioned that while he was warming up, he didn’t throw any strikes either. 

No idea who they go to next. Maybe Rosscup, but waiting on Swarzak might be their plan at this point. Strick will be put a long while, so someone will have a chance to run with the job

Just now, Sidearmer said:

Givens is still in the game in the 9th sitting on 48 (!) pitches. He just gave up a run on 48th pitch and now being taken out with 2 outs in 9th.

After throwing 16 pitches yesterday, no less. Watch someone else come in, clean up a mess Givens shouldn't have been allowed to create, and probably get the next save after too.

Edited by rdf8585

1 minute ago, rdf8585 said:

After throwing 16 pitches yesterday, no less. Watch someone else come in, clean up a mess Givens shouldn't have been allowed to create, and probably get the next save after too.

Meh. Givens was pitching well, all really weak contact that his defense didn't play. Honestly I doubt anyone will consistently close for Baltimore.