NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2019 March/April Closer Thread

4 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Yeah, I'm still failing to see how Tampa not trading him means that Miami won't as well...

Tampa moves many pieces last year regardless of record 

Romo was their primary closer

Despite said motivation to trade UFA, Romo didn’t get traded.

3 hours ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

I wish the Brewers would just commit to Hader at closer already. I understand his multiple innings capabilities but he can still do that in 8th to 9th inning scenarios. 

Not happening. He'll keep coming in whenever an opponent's best hitters are due up late in a game where the Brewers are tied or leading. Sometimes that will be a save opportunity, sometimes not. Just enjoy the ratios and Ks and take the saves when they come.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dele said:

Not happening. He'll keep coming in whenever an opponent's best hitters are due up late in a game where the Brewers are tied or leading. Sometimes that will be a save opportunity, sometimes not. Just enjoy the ratios and Ks and take the saves when they come.

He’s very clearly the designated closer so far.  Jeffress may change that, but he’s not a fireman right now.

1 hour ago, pbjfb said:

Maybe Nick Anderson makes his way to the closer spot

yeah i'm quietly placing a marker on this guy in my super deep league. i'd straight up never heard of him until you mentioned him a few pages ago, but he seems pretty interesting. had a 3K inning last night. stuff looks pretty good. minor league numbers look pretty good. Ks, not too many walks. did give up a lot of homers last year in AAA, but then didn't give up a single homer all year in 2017, so maybe it's not a chronic problem.

and of course, the pen he's in looks pretty bad. so it all checks out

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, street sharks said:

what is going on with vizcaino? he apparently has shoulder issues but he pitched yesterday? doesn't make sense

Yeah that beat guy, Bowman I think (?) replied a bunch in the twitter thread and defended his claims. Said he's basically trying to pitch through it after taking a bunch of days off during ST, etc. He's technically not injured but must be something going on. Minter dealing with his own shoulder issues to, but seems ready. It's all sorts of cloudy...

Per Fangraphs Vizcaino is down almost 2 MPH.  Could be regular early season adjustment, but I suppose worth noting given above.

Spring training numbers a mixed bag---4 runs allowed in 5 IP, but an 8-1 K/BB.

I suppose this would explain the interest in Kimbrel...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah that beat guy, Bowman I think (?) replied a bunch in the twitter thread and defended his claims. Said he's basically trying to pitch through it after taking a bunch of days off during ST, etc. He's technically not injured but must be something going on. Minter dealing with his own shoulder issues to, but seems ready. It's all sorts of cloudy...

So the way this season is already going Venters will be closing in 4-5 weeks then

11 hours ago, quietj said:

Definitely a committee in Seattle.

There were 2 lefties due up.  Trout was due up 4th, so getting the lefties was absolutely paramount.

And to echo Mr. cmline up there, yes, Elias has some stuff.  Was hitting 95/96 yesterday.

My top spec adds for guys under 50% ownership on Yahoo. Add more to the list if you guys have them.

Minter - With Viz having shoulder issues pop up now and Minter coming back soon he could run with the role like he did last year

Brasier - Still not sure what they'll do in Boston if Barnes falters but I don't think he has a long leash

Parker - If they go based on matchups it looks like he'll get the bulk of opps unless there are lefties coming up

Rogers - If they go off matchups he could get double digit saves. He has the stuff to take over the role if Parker doesn't do well and they like May in the fireman role

Romo - I think he gets the bulk of the opportunities in MIA but it looks like they may go off matchups

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

He’s very clearly the designated closer so far.  Jeffress may change that, but he’s not a fireman right now.

I disagree. He's got three saves because in each case, the highest leverage late game situation happened to coincide with a save opportunity. He may well get most of the save chances on days he's available, but they really want to preserve his innings, too, so I doubt he will pitch two days in a row. It will be interesting to see what happens if the Brewers have a save opportunity tonight. My prediction is that Junior Guerra will get the ball if they do.

8 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

My top spec adds for guys under 50% ownership on Yahoo. Add more to the list if you guys have them.

Minter - With Viz having shoulder issues pop up now and Minter coming back soon he could run with the role like he did last year

Brasier - Still not sure what they'll do in Boston if Barnes falters but I don't think he has a long leash

Parker - If they go based on matchups it looks like he'll get the bulk of opps unless there are lefties coming up

Rogers - If they go off matchups he could get double digit saves. He has the stuff to take over the role if Parker doesn't do well and they like May in the fireman role

Romo - I think he gets the bulk of the opportunities in MIA but it looks like they may go off matchups

Good list

I'm adding Jeffress shorter term, and adding Pressley and Reyes as longer term plays.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

Good list

I'm adding Jeffress shorter term, and adding Pressley and Reyes as longer term plays.

I'd add Morrow to that list too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

Do you value Romo more than Kennedy?

1 hour ago, pbjfb said:

Do you value Romo more than Kennedy?

Yeah I didn't add Kennedy to the list because I still don't trust that he can and will close. Romo has at least succeeded in the role in the past. He wasn't a great closer but he's still done it before. 

Have not heard much buzz on Diego Castillo. Got the save the other day because Alvarado pitched back to back. But has been great in 3 appearances so far. I believe Alvarado is for real and will close out a lot of games but I think people are sleeping on Castillo. Especially with how the Rays switch things up constantly he could vulture a lot of saves. 

Here are my spec picks on some of the other closer committees:

Swarzak should get the first crack at it for Seattle, the whole purpose for including him the trade this past winter was for him to close before Strickland to gain value and eventually trade him anyways. 

Rogers is the best arm but I think him and Parker split the role for the most part for the time being. 

I've never liked Viz so I think Mint comes back and earns the job. When he was in mid season form last year he was very dominate for a stretch. 

Once Brasier gets more innings in relief under his belt this year, I think he obtains the job. That or Barnes starts to emplode. 

Romo probably closes given he's veteran of the group and how bad Steick and Con have looked.

Cishek should close sooner rather than later. They like Edwards in the set up role and Strop has not looked good so far. Don't think Morrow gets right in time before it's his job. 

Baltimore and KC are 2 teams I am staying away on as I see it being a carousel all year with guys who will destroy ratios.

I think Bradley/Iglesias/Robertson are Holds for now but obviously it has been rocky so far. 

Edited by Ry34No
  • Like 4