NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 March/April Closer Thread

Re:  Kansas City

Unless you think Peralta somehow gets chances/doesn't implode, I think pairing Kennedy with a Kyle Zimmer stash is the best way to attack that bullpen.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He must be yelling ‘ball’ before he throws each pitch.

In 2017 he gave up 2HR once and never 3. In 2018 he never gave up more than 1. Guess we have different definitions of "very prone".

Posted Images

8 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah that beat guy, Bowman I think (?) replied a bunch in the twitter thread and defended his claims. Said he's basically trying to pitch through it after taking a bunch of days off during ST, etc. He's technically not injured but must be something going on. Minter dealing with his own shoulder issues to, but seems ready. It's all sorts of cloudy...

Atlanta is the team that should sign Kimbrel.  That pen would look a lot better with Viz and Minter in the set up role, as opposed to closer.  It  would move everyone down 1 slot in the pen where they would be move effective I think.  Of course I don't know what Kimbrels demands are and I'd imagine they are quite large considering he hasn't signed yet.

19 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Not saying much because it’s a clown show.  But Elias is easily most talented arm in pen.  In short sequences he can dial it up, throws strikes, can hit spots.  He can throw multiple innings also which comes in handy when starters can’t go deep.  No clue on role though.

He's definitely a sleeper for the role, and could be a sneaky good add if you have the roster spot and the patience to see how things play out. I agree on the talented arm and it maybe fitting the role well. 

5 hours ago, dele said:

I disagree. He's got three saves because in each case, the highest leverage late game situation happened to coincide with a save opportunity. He may well get most of the save chances on days he's available, but they really want to preserve his innings, too, so I doubt he will pitch two days in a row. It will be interesting to see what happens if the Brewers have a save opportunity tonight. My prediction is that Junior Guerra will get the ball if they do.

Convinced yet? Every single sign and usage says closer whether one or two innings.

3 hours ago, Ry34No said:

Have not heard much buzz on Diego Castillo. Got the save the other day because Alvarado pitched back to back. But has been great in 3 appearances so far. I believe Alvarado is for real and will close out a lot of games but I think people are sleeping on Castillo. Especially with how the Rays switch things up constantly he could vulture a lot of saves. 

Here are my spec picks on some of the other closer committees:

Swarzak should get the first crack at it for Seattle, the whole purpose for including him the trade this past winter was for him to close before Strickland to gain value and eventually trade him anyways. 

Rogers is the best arm but I think him and Parker split the role for the most part for the time being. 

I've never liked Viz so I think Mint comes back and earns the job. When he was in mid season form last year he was very dominate for a stretch. 

Once Brasier gets more innings in relief under his belt this year, I think he obtains the job. That or Barnes starts to emplode. 

Romo probably closes given he's veteran of the group and how bad Steick and Con have looked.

Cishek should close sooner rather than later. They like Edwards in the set up role and Strop has not looked good so far. Don't think Morrow gets right in time before it's his job. 

Baltimore and KC are 2 teams I am staying away on as I see it being a carousel all year with guys who will destroy ratios.

I think Bradley/Iglesias/Robertson are Holds for now but obviously it has been rocky so far. 

Yeah Cishek needs more love 

19 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Miguel Castro in for the save opp tonight. Add another name to the Orioles’ mess.

Worth mentioning there was no chance of Givens throwing tonight after 80+ pitches on the weekend, so I'll hold my breath until Castro sees the 9th with both able to toss.

Edited by PremiumPlus
2 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

Josh Hader for Cy Young 

He’s going to win an awful lot of leagues for people. Even if he splits saves second half

$40 season still very possible.

5 hours ago, Ry34No said:

Have not heard much buzz on Diego Castillo. Got the save the other day because Alvarado pitched back to back. But has been great in 3 appearances so far. I believe Alvarado is for real and will close out a lot of games but I think people are sleeping on Castillo. Especially with how the Rays switch things up constantly he could vulture a lot of saves. 

Here are my spec picks on some of the other closer committees:

Swarzak should get the first crack at it for Seattle, the whole purpose for including him the trade this past winter was for him to close before Strickland to gain value and eventually trade him anyways. 

Rogers is the best arm but I think him and Parker split the role for the most part for the time being. 

I've never liked Viz so I think Mint comes back and earns the job. When he was in mid season form last year he was very dominate for a stretch. 

Once Brasier gets more innings in relief under his belt this year, I think he obtains the job. That or Barnes starts to emplode. 

Romo probably closes given he's veteran of the group and how bad Steick and Con have looked.

Cishek should close sooner rather than later. They like Edwards in the set up role and Strop has not looked good so far. Don't think Morrow gets right in time before it's his job. 

Baltimore and KC are 2 teams I am staying away on as I see it being a carousel all year with guys who will destroy ratios.

I think Bradley/Iglesias/Robertson are Holds for now but obviously it has been rocky so far. 

Good stuff, but not sure I agree on Cishek. Everything I’ve read points to Morrow getting the job when he returns no matter who saves games in the meantime. If you have intel that says otherwise, I’d gladly read it 😁

• Like 2
Just now, My Dinner With Andre said:

I think you meant to say "looking awful"

He needs to work on throwing more curves out of the zone. Still like him short term with Zimmer taking the job in a month.