NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 March/April Closer Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He must be yelling ‘ball’ before he throws each pitch.

In 2017 he gave up 2HR once and never 3. In 2018 he never gave up more than 1. Guess we have different definitions of "very prone".

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, TheNephilim said:

Parker is the guy.  3 -2 game warmed up for the save.  Twins hang 3 runs so parker ends up closing out clean 9th but no save.  I think baldelli is showing his intentions. 

Baldelli has said for a while now that he’s going to play matchups at the end of games and today was no different. Harper was due up 3rd in the 8th so he went with Rogers there. Parker faced 3 righties in the 9th. I see no reason to believe that anything has changed. I expect the committee to continue with Parker, being the righty, getting more opportunities. Sucks for fantasy but in reality probably a smart move.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Baldelli has said for a while now that he’s going to play matchups at the end of games and today was no different. Harper was due up 3rd in the 8th so he went with Rogers there. Parker faced 3 righties in the 9th. I see no reason to believe that anything has changed. I expect the committee to continue with Parker, being the righty, getting more opportunities. Sucks for fantasy but in reality probably a smart move.

I think if you were indifferent to who did what you’d use a righty for two batters, then Rogers for Harper and 9th.

Agree there’s some matchup potential and certainly a lot left to be seen...but evidence that Parker is the primary guy keeps getting stronger.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Playing matchups is a nice way of saying keep cost of your bullpen guys down by not letting young kids run up the arbitration price.  

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Rogers actually pitched pretty good. One hit was a dribbler to the third base side by Harper that made it just past Rogers mitt. Since the Twins were shifting Harper, there was no one at third to come in to try and throw out Harper. The other hit was another dribbler that the catcher Astudillo could not field. He did have a walk to Hoskins. So the bases were loaded and Rogers managed to get out of it. The last out of the inning was smacked pretty well, but was right to Cron who fielded it and beat the runner to first.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Seranthony is removing himself from closer consideration. He's all over the place and just gave up a three run bomb. 

Seriously, RP's are killing me in my NFBC Roto leagues this year 

1 hour ago, CharlesHustle said:

Just went to grab Neris in 2 leagues, gone already!

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Considering this myself

Hmm.  I thought Neris was straight trash last year but he had a great 2nd half (no HR) after he was recalled.  Swinging K rate better than Hader.  Would Kapler give him a shot again?

Just now, Morat said:

Hmm.  I thought Neris was straight trash last year but he had a great 2nd half (no HR) after he was recalled.  Swinging K rate better than Hader.  Would Kapler give him a shot again?

Kapler gave 9 different guys a shot last year, so...

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What Smith?  Most common English name in America.

Seriously? Go down the list of active RPs in the Majors with the last name “Smith”, and get back to me. The list is quite short. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Jmo?? He pitched 3.2 innings in spring training lol I disagree with this and I have no shares of him anywhere.

And looked absolutely terrible in the two spring training outings I watched.   His stuff lacked life and was below average. 

Dude looked like crap.  If you watched him in spring training and disagree more power to you. 

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What Smith?  Most common English name in America.

No doubt but not the one in the current closer market

There’s only one Smith so should be no mistaken identity 

Edited by CraftyRighty

Caleb Smith taken out of the rotation to pick up a save?

It's Will Smith. I know he's the only Smith but it still took me a minute. He's not yet a big name among closers so I don't think it hurts to remind folk about the guy in SF. 

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

And looked absolutely terrible in the two spring training outings I watched.   His stuff lacked life and was below average. 

Dude looked like crap.  If you watched him in spring training and disagree more power to you. 

It was spring training lol all I’m saying is I would give him a longer leash before pronouncing him dead. I would understand why people don’t want him in saves leagues only. Especially with Kapler running the pen. But I play saves/holds and need some help in that department, so I think he is worth an add for people in those leagues if he’s on the wire.

Edited by hangin n wangin