NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 March/April Closer Thread

4 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

In his heyday with the Royals, he threw 96.  His average velocity this spring was only 90.  I added him because it's a deep blood-for-saves league, but there's a lot to be concerned about too.

100% agree...just don't think the D-Backs are that stupid to anoint him closer if he was having arm problems, can't throw hard, etc...His cost is nothing right now so cut him after the first torching of the ratios

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He must be yelling ‘ball’ before he throws each pitch.

In 2017 he gave up 2HR once and never 3. In 2018 he never gave up more than 1. Guess we have different definitions of "very prone".

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

In his heyday with the Royals, he threw 96.  His average velocity this spring was only 90.  I added him because it's a deep blood-for-saves league, but there's a lot to be concerned about too.

And he still walked 10 guys in 21 innings with the Nats.  Combined with the diminished velocity, that's not a good combo

Jim Johnson 2.0

1 hour ago, roscobangs said:

Is Blake Parker droppable or do we still not know yet?

I haven't seen anything confirmed either way. May did give up a 3 run double today which probably didn't help his cause. He had allowed 2 runs previously all spring.

He's better than Parker and has much more upside. Parker's a veteran though and some really seem to favor those types.... his spring numbers are solid.

Edited by rdf8585
1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

And he still walked 10 guys in 21 innings with the Nats.  Combined with the diminished velocity, that's not a good combo

Today Holland is all about the slider - and I think there is some good evidence to show the humidor has had a relatively significant impact on slider effectiveness - see Patrick Corbin last year. If Holland can command the slider he can still be effective. He might not be elite but he might not be terrible and that may be enough to help him hold the job all year.

14 hours ago, mudrummer said:

Today Holland is all about the slider - and I think there is some good evidence to show the humidor has had a relatively significant impact on slider effectiveness - see Patrick Corbin last year. If Holland can command the slider he can still be effective. He might not be elite but he might not be terrible and that may be enough to help him hold the job all year.

Nice. I am drafting Hirano everywhere............

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Former scout Bernie pleskoff watched the Red Sox this spring and said he thinks braiser closes over Barnes even though he likes Barnes more.  Also they really want thornburg to close but he hasn’t shown that he’s ready

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

It's a Dodgeball movie reference...

This plan seems smarter

ah I see

Also drafting Conley everywhere, gonna either be a stud MR or a closer by May no doubt about it!

regarding the Chicago Cubs Closer situation, Joe Maddon said that once Brandon Morrow comes back, he will be the closer:

"I won't declare anybody the closer," Maddon told reporters. "I didn't even declare Stropie the closer. Once Brandon's out, we've got to figure it out. Once Morrow comes back, he will be the closer".

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20190324/strop-set-to-start-season-as-chicago-cubs-closer

• Like 5
55 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Former scout Bernie pleskoff watched the Red Sox this spring and said he thinks braiser closes over Barnes even though he likes Barnes more.  Also they really want thornburg to close but he hasn’t shown that he’s ready

A fellow Fantasy XM subscriber I see.  I love that channel.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

A fellow Fantasy XM subscriber I see.  I love that channel.

Edit 1: Poor reading comprehension.

Mind you, that same segment, Pleskoff mentioned Tyler Thornburg as a darkhorse that the Red Sox hope could close out game.

Edited by Choo on Wieters
12 minutes ago, Choo on Wieters said:

Edit 1: Poor reading comprehension.

Mind you, that same segment, Pleskoff mentioned Tyler Thornburg as a darkhorse that the Red Sox hope could close out game.

Thornburg saved 13 games for the Brewers in 2016.  Had a K/9 of 12+ too.  He flashed really good relief stuff before he hurt his shoulder.  The question will be if he can get it back.  If so then I could totally see him becoming the closer down the road should no one take hold of the job before hand.

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Say the Brewers don’t sign Kimbrel and Jeffress remains on the DL.  Watch for Junior Guerra who has a new splitter and has had an uptick in velocity  

This is very true. He has significantly increased his velo, though the splitter is the same, nasty pitch it always was. He's gonna be good outta the pen.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

This is very true. He has significantly increased his velo, though the splitter is the same, nasty pitch it always was. He's gonna be good outta the pen.

Since Jeffres and Knebel are out, who is the fave to close, Claudio, Guerra or Fat Albers. Hader will probably keep the same role

3 minutes ago, ImHighandInside said:

Wilson?

Really? Who knows at this point I'm just trying to get a leg up on other guys in my league, I'm guessing at this point

Hader is looking like a split 50-50 closer at worst at this point unless they sign Kimbrel. He was the top 3 RP last year with only 10 saves. Let that upside sink in...

• Like 1