NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 March/April Closer Thread

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Iglesias in for ONLY the 9th again and once again looking great. I hope the Reds have figured this out. Struck out the side in order. 

He’s K’ed 9 out of 9 batters he faced the last three nights. One away from joining Gagne and Seaver. Maybe he just really likes San Diego.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He must be yelling ‘ball’ before he throws each pitch.

In 2017 he gave up 2HR once and never 3. In 2018 he never gave up more than 1. Guess we have different definitions of "very prone".

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Donniebaseball23 said:

I’ve been following pretty closely, Elias only gets the opps if they used Swarzak earlier in game in a big situation or if swarzak pitched the day before

Swarzak is definitely the guy, but they are being very careful with him

Yeah and for very good reason with our already slim pickens bullpen, they also might want to flip Swarzak before the deadline to get rid of his salary. It will honestly depend on quite a few factors by that time though. So keeping him healthy could yield dividends in the long run.

47 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Neris looked good too. As a person who’s holding onto both Neris and Dominguez, is Seranthony a safe drop? Seems like it’s been a very long time since his last save opportunity. 

If you can only hold one then Neris is obviously the guy.  Does that mean Kapler won't be mixing and matching tomorrow???  Hmmmm...

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

Allowing two singles in one ininng hardly seems "shaky" to me. Every pitcher, including Kimbrel, has let on two runners in a inning multiple times in a season. I don't know if Brasier (or Barnes) can keep it up, but both have been pretty good to start the season.

Plus Kimbrels command hasn't been the greatest the last two years. He allows lots of base runners. He's clearly not the pitcher he was 3 or more years ago. Yes still good but like Chapman not that lock down closer you knew when they came in the game was over. Both too wild .Brasier several million cheaper for pretty much the same stuff at this point.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Idk about Brasier...low K rates, low BABIPs, a lot of flyballs...He's now sporting a 1.64 ERA and 0.82 WHIP with a sub 8.00 K/9 as a Red Sox. He can't be that good. I kinda feel like a correction is coming.

Full disclosure: Barnes owner

I wouldn't say his K rates are low...he's struck out 10 in 10.1 innings this year (8.7 per 9). His BABIP is only .240, but that's not egregiously low. It's not like RPs can't be successful with sub-9.00 K rates. Maybe a correction is coming...I dunno. I'm not overly concerned about it. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Idk about Brasier...low K rates, low BABIPs, a lot of flyballs...He's now sporting a 1.64 ERA and 0.82 WHIP with a sub 8.00 K/9 as a Red Sox. He can't be that good. I kinda feel like a correction is coming.

I am neither a Barnes nor Braiser owner but would much prefer Barne as he is pitching like an elite stopper right now.  His k/9 is over 18, his bb/9 is around 1 and his gb% is over 60%.   Short sample size but you can't get much better than that...

30 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

I am neither a Barnes nor Braiser owner but would much prefer Barne as he is pitching like an elite stopper right now.  His k/9 is over 18, his bb/9 is around 1 and his gb% is over 60%.   Short sample size but you can't get much better than that...

But will he get saves? I think he got one so far. Is he still in the mix or just the fireman roll now? 

2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

A closer can be just fine without a really high K rate.  I know some people only go for ones that have high K rates, but even in this case it's not that bad.  His K rate is only a hair below 9 (10 in 10.1 innings), plus he limits baserunners by not giving up very many hits or walks.  He's now done this for over 40 innings, so maybe it's not a fluke.  Still not a full season's worth of sample size, but you get the idea, I'm sure.

Obviously his is still a higher K rate than Brasier's, but Ozuna has been one of the best closers in baseball ever since he came into the league and I wouldn't exactly call his K rate elite.  Saves are saves regardless of how you get the hitters out.

I think it's telling of Gabe's confidence that Neris not only got a save op but a 5 out save op. And he didn't allow a baserunner. CBS posted a stat that he hasnt allowed a run in his past 9 appearances

22 minutes ago, cyberer said:

I think it's telling of Gabe's confidence that Neris not only got a save op but a 5 out save op. And he didn't allow a baserunner. CBS posted a stat that he hasnt allowed a run in his past 9 appearances

Neris is a strong but right now. GB rate of 55% Swinging strike rate just under 20% Limiting Hard contact to 22%

In a time of a juiced ball all those numbers are huge for a pitcher, especially a save situation RP where the stakes are higher.

He's got confidence in his splitter again.

Edited by High&Inside
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

But will he get saves? I think he got one so far. Is he still in the mix or just the fireman roll now? 

Ya I am not predicting that he will get the majority of saves because he could be used as a fireman more often than not.  There may be more value for the team in that kind of usage.  Likely so.  Just stating his rather impressive work thus far...

4 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

You realize his LOW BABIPs are due to his FB tendency, right? Weakly hit balls in the air are the lowest BABIP outcome. Jamming hitters is next best thing to strike outs.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, radioflyer9 said:

Where Blake Parker!!??

I'm wondering the same thing. Rogers looking shaky, put multiple innings yesterday and still left in to face a right handed hitting pinch hitter.

2 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

While it’s technically a save opportunity, I wouldn’t call pitching the 8th getting a save opportunity in these circles 

my mistake. I saw it was a 1 run lead and thought the box score said 9th instead of 8th. he still blew it and I'm guessing wont be getting any 9th inning save ops anytime soon.