NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 March/April Closer Thread

21 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Hader is looking like a split 50-50 closer at worst at this point unless they sign Kimbrel. He was the top 3 RP last year with only 10 saves. Let that upside sink in...

What upside? He was drafted in the 100's in every league worth its salt. You knew you were getting one of the best and extra saves is just icing on top

• Like 2
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He must be yelling ‘ball’ before he throws each pitch.

In 2017 he gave up 2HR once and never 3. In 2018 he never gave up more than 1. Guess we have different definitions of "very prone".

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

What upside? He was drafted in the 100's in every league worth its salt. You knew you were getting one of the best and extra saves is just icing on top

The upside that comes with a 20 saves projection.  Top 50.

4 minutes ago, ramox15 said:

Who is Phillies closer? Robertson OR Dominguez?

They've said there won't be a tradiitonal closer.  I think Robertson gets most of the opportunities but they're not going to restrict him to the 9th inning either.  I've debated dropping him.

5 hours ago, street sharks said:

Something to think about, wasn't Barnes pretty versatile for them last year in a fireman type role? Seems like someone you wouldn't want to limit to one inning if that was the case

Brasier was more the fireman.  Barnes doesn't do too well when he is brought in with men on base.

The blurb about the match-up stuff in Minnesota:

Twins manager Rocco Baldelli doesn't plan to name a closer prior to Opening Day.

Baldelli said of Trevor May and Blake Parker that he thinks "both of those guys will accumulate some saves this year" and either one of them could be used "very, very late in the game on Opening Day." The skipper also mentioned Taylor Rogers and Trevor Hildenberger as possibility to see save chances, depending on a particular game shakes out. Baldelli did leave open the possibility of eventually picking a set closer -- most managers do -- but this could be a hard-to-predict situation for a while. Both May and Parker should be owned in fantasy leagues.

Source: Do-Hyoung Park on Twitter                                Mar 25, 2019, 5:56 PM

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
9 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

I wouldn't drop May

Agreed. Parker may (pun intended) well get a shot but there’s a reason the Angels cut him. You never know when that splitter will work. 

• Like 1

Have to give The Big Bat Theory credit on Braisier. It certainly seems to me now that the Sox want him to get the job. I would think they would have named Barnes the closer by now if he earned it. At worst it looks like 50/50 now. 

1 minute ago, Magoo said:

Have to give The Big Bat Theory credit on Braisier. It certainly seems to me now that the Sox want him to get the job. I would think they would have named Barnes the closer by now if he earned it. At worst it looks like 50/50 now. 

Yea it’s really odd no closer has been named yet. Did Brasier pitch a clean frame the 2Nd time he appeared recently? 

Edited by chud12

Here is more speculation about the closer situation in Boston posted just 10 hours ago By MATT LUTOVSKY. 

“Boston has decided to enter the season with what looks to be a thin bullpen, but all that means is Matt Barnes should continue to be viewed as the overwhelming favorite for saves. Barnes is coming off a career year that saw him strike out 96 batters in 69.1 innings while maintaining a manageable HR-rate (0.73). His BB-rate (4.5) is a worry, but with little competition, he has the chance to greatly outproduce his ADP. In fact, he was one of the RPs on our All-Breakout Team.

If Barnes can't handle the closer duties, it seems like the Red Sox will go to a committee approach, with Ryan Brasier and Tyler Thornburg among the names to watch. It's always possible that Boston gives in and attempts to re-sign Craig Kimbrel, but it's likely that ship has sailed.”

Edited by chud12

sox should really think about trading the giants for will smith.  maybe colome and or herrera from chisox

their pen is going to be atrocious.. 

Edited by jfazz23

When it’s still a question this close to the season the 6-10 round later value of Brasier is probably a little easier pill to swallow if they end up with Kimbrel. 

Doubt either one gets the the bulk of the load out of the gate. 

11 hours ago, rotodr said:

ah I see

Also drafting Conley everywhere, gonna either be a stud MR or a closer by May no doubt about it!

I am quite optimistic on Conley myself, especially as it's a holds league and can see him very useful in both roles (saves/holds).  I feel some caution because he had four real nasty blow ups (3.1 innings, 18 runs!!!) that stung the hell out of everyone who owned him last year.   But outside of that he was really good though.  Of course one can't just take those games away and say voila but epic blowouts like that don't happen to many relievers at that rate.   Seems like a s--- storm just fell on him but overall was still good.   I recall he was a sub 2.00 era, sub 1.00 whip his first 25 innings or so before having these awful outings.  And even after those disastrous outings he was relied upon in late inning situation and closed out a few so the team obviously believes in him.  While his overall ERA wasn't great at just over 4.00 (not bad given those blowouts), his whip and k/bb ratios were very solid still.

He'll have off games but even if half as bad as those four outings his overall numbers could be very good.   Curious if anyone disagrees???

Are Alvarado owners cuffing with Chaz Roe? Some question Alvarado still but I think his leash is very long and I think he is very skilled.

Also, anyone have a funny feeling Romo gets 20+ saves again this year?

8 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Are Alvarado owners cuffing with Chaz Roe? Some question Alvarado still but I think his leash is very long and I think he is very skilled.

Also, anyone have a funny feeling Romo gets 20+ saves again this year?

FWIW he's still on the wire in my league. Same goes for Parker and Peralta. I think the vast majority believe Alvarado is the guy and the same applies to May and Boxberger in their respective pens. 

6 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

I am quite optimistic on Conley myself, especially as it's a holds league and can see him very useful in both roles (saves/holds).  I feel some caution because he had four real nasty blow ups (3.1 innings, 18 runs!!!) that stung the hell out of everyone who owned him last year.   But outside of that he was really good though.  Of course one can't just take those games away and say voila but epic blowouts like that don't happen to many relievers at that rate.   Seems like a s--- storm just fell on him but overall was still good.   I recall he was a sub 2.00 era, sub 1.00 whip his first 25 innings or so before having these awful outings.  And even after those disastrous outings he was relied upon in late inning situation and closed out a few so the team obviously believes in him.  While his overall ERA wasn't great at just over 4.00 (not bad given those blowouts), his whip and k/bb ratios were very solid still.

He'll have off games but even if half as bad as those four outings his overall numbers could be very good.   Curious if anyone disagrees???

It was four outings, 3.1 innings, 18 h/w, 16 runs (all earned). And that is a crusher for anyone who owned him. Outside of those, he gave up 7 er and 37 h/w in 47.1 innings. They all count, but if he can limit the blow-ups, there’s a lot of promise in that arm. 

Brasier is an after thought in most leagues up until now. In fact he is probably on a lot of waivers. Rotoworld ranking below a lot of middle relievers helps. Looks like a coin flip to me with about half the experts taking each side.

I would expect the staff to have some sort of declaration on the topic before Thursday. Best to hold whoever you have until that time. There is probably 40-50 saves up for grabs in that bullpen. If either Barnes or Brasier take the job they are going to be a top 15 closer due to volume alone. Even with a time share they are probably right around 20 if they have decent supporting numbers. 15-25 saves and good strikeouts is a nice last guy in the pen for most fantasy teams. 

4 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

It was four outings, 3.1 innings, 18 h/w, 16 runs (all earned). And that is a crusher for anyone who owned him. Outside of those, he gave up 7 er and 37 h/w in 47.1 innings. They all count, but if he can limit the blow-ups, there’s a lot of promise in that arm. 

Ugh after that he was DTM but I have monitored him this spring, looks like a beast! Donnie Baseball loves him as well.

If you were speculating would you hold Conley over Hirano?

8 hours ago, bcobb311 said:

When it’s still a question this close to the season the 6-10 round later value of Brasier is probably a little easier pill to swallow if they end up with Kimbrel.

They (aka the Red Sox) were never ever going to end up with Kimbrel.  A stupid, multi-year, bloated contract for a fading closer was never in Boston's plans since before the World Series even.  Unlike the Phil's reserve of "mad money", the Red Sox are stretched thin due to the luxury tax and money coming off the books was already planned to being re-alloted to extending Sale back last year.  (Also Xander needs a pay day and JD can opt out at the end of the season so he has to be bumped up too).  Not to re-signing Kimbrel.  They did hope to re-sign Joe Kelly but when LA went totally bananas over him he was out of the picture.

Would Boston like to have a Yankees-style bullpen?  Sure.  But they can't afford it so they will live with what they have.  Maybe pick up someone else by the trade deadline for low level prospects and mix and match as they can.  They feel they have the horses to get into the playoffs without one then do what they did last year and have starters work out of the pen in the playoffs again.  Not the best method but the only one they can use right now.

Will John Henry bust the budget later in the season and cost them draft picks and international pool money by going way over the luxury tax?  It is possible if the current bullpen is costing them too many games.  But a few games here and there.  No.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1