NBC Sports Edge Forums

LeSean McCoy 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

If McCoy gets 70% he absolutely is. Because he has the talent to match the role. If he gets to 70%, the only thing that's going to take it away from him is injury.

Other lower talent options are not necessarily top 12 guys because they will always have the risk of getting benched when their JAG starts showing. 

I dunno.  As much as I think Damien Williams is a JAG, I would guess he is an RB1 with that workload too.  He went nuts at the end of last year.

To me, the relevance of the McCoy vs. Williams debate is not that one will be good and one will be bad.  I believe both would be good, it's just an argument of who deserves the touches (and will therefore be that RB1 we all want).  I'm in the camp that McCoy is the better player, despite losing a bit from his former Hall of Fame form.  He's not running like he did when he was in his early 20's, but he still looks better than Damien.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

High stakes leagues have the same losers, just with more money.

Duke Johnson owners right now..  

Posted Images

Health is key here for Shady. IF, and I stress if, he can get healthy I think he will be the lead back.  By lead I mean the head of a timeshare at a minimum which in this offense is still RB2 territory.  The maximum possibility is he takes the reigns outright, or gets 60% of the load.  Then we are talking high end RB2 to low end RB1 numbers.  I just don't know how bad the ankle is, and whether or not it is going to be a constant or lingering issue. 

One added opinion here, I'd also consider selling off his 20+ point performance if someone is willing to pay.  I like Shady a lot going forward but if you have concerns, and someone is willing to give you a player with better health / a more certain role, or you can snag a player at a position of need where you are deep at RB, now might be a good time to strike. 

7 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Health is key here for Shady. IF, and I stress if, he can get healthy I think he will be the lead back.  By lead I mean the head of a timeshare at a minimum which in this offense is still RB2 territory.  The maximum possibility is he takes the reigns outright, or gets 60% of the load.  Then we are talking high end RB2 to low end RB1 numbers.  I just don't know how bad the ankle is, and whether or not it is going to be a constant or lingering issue. 

One added opinion here, I'd also consider selling off his 20+ point performance if someone is willing to pay.  I like Shady a lot going forward but if you have concerns, and someone is willing to give you a player with better health / a more certain role, or you can snag a player at a position of need where you are deep at RB, now might be a good time to strike. 

A lot of people drafted Shady late, so he's been a boon for value so far.  If the draft were today, there's no way he goes in the 8-10 round range.

If you believe in Shady, you should consider moving one of your higher-drafted RBs and put McCoy in your lineup.  If you can get Damien WIlliams back for relatively cheap, all the better.  The Damien owner is probably way down on him.

IMO its becoming clearer that Reid will NOT have a bellcow this season. Two backs will get work every game, with around a 60/40 split. I think whoever gets the 60% in the long run is an upside RB2. 40% RB will be an upside RB3. (This is currently how the RBs are performing).

It is also becoming clear that Shady is the preferred runner, with Damien & Darrel as the lead pass catchers and pass protection RBs. I am beginning to doubt if Shady can unseat these RBs in there roles. 

All 3 RBs are solid pass catchers, but Shady is lacking in the pass protection area compared to Damien & Darrel. Is this something that will improve as Shady becomes more accustomed to the KC offense? Who knows!

Heres some pass protection stats on the KC backfield via PFF

Pass Block Snaps          Total Snaps         Pass Blocking Grade
McCoy                2                                76                              18
Damien               3                                84                             80.1
Darrel                 4                                42                             82.4

While it is an extremely small sample, it appears as Darrel has emerged as the top pass blocker, pass blocking on 9.5% of his snaps compared to 2.6% for Shady and 3.5% for Damien. Also note McCoy has the highest rushing grade from PFF. (second is Darrel)

Drafted Shady in the 5th round in a savvy, competitive league. Everyone questioned but I foreshadowed with what’s been happening, and fortunately it’s been working. Shady already said he  is good to go for the Lions this week. This is the LAST window for Shady add more glory to his storied career and I doubt he going down easy.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Watitdookie said:

Drafted Shady in the 5th round in a savvy, competitive league. Everyone questioned but I foreshadowed with what’s been happening, and fortunately it’s been working. Shady already said he  is good to go for the Lions this week. This is the LAST window for Shady add more glory to his storied career and I doubt he going down easy.

Link, please?

1 minute ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Link, please?

Probably referring to this -

“It just wasn’t right,” he said before assuring reporters he’d be ready to go next Sunday against the Detroit Lions. “As a competitor, most guys lie to try not to get off the field. I have another week to prepare for it, rehab and get better. This offense is amazing. I’m anxious to get back and play with them. It’s fun; football is fun again.”

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Ace_King said:

What was the split between McCoy and Williams before McCoy got hurt? I was mainly watching the Eagles game but whenever I switched to the Chiefs-Ravens it appeared McCoy was getting 70-75 percent of the work.

50-50 in the second half. Willams got better and better as the game went on 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Probably referring to this -

“It just wasn’t right,” he said before assuring reporters he’d be ready to go next Sunday against the Detroit Lions. “As a competitor, most guys lie to try not to get off the field. I have another week to prepare for it, rehab and get better. This offense is amazing. I’m anxious to get back and play with them. It’s fun; football is fun again.”

Players ALWAYS say they will be fine for the next game.  They are the ultimate unreliable source.

That said, McCoy is a tough hombre.  He probably will try to gut it out and keep playing through this injury.  I just don't think it will work very well.

20 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Players ALWAYS say they will be fine for the next game.  They are the ultimate unreliable source.

That said, McCoy is a tough hombre.  He probably will try to gut it out and keep playing through this injury.  I just don't think it will work very well.

True but Reid barely mentioned it after the game and didn't consider it a big deal. I am not worried. That said, if people have McCoy and have room for Darrell W then go for it to be safe.

10 hours ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

IMO its becoming clearer that Reid will NOT have a bellcow this season. Two backs will get work every game, with around a 60/40 split. I think whoever gets the 60% in the long run is an upside RB2. 40% RB will be an upside RB3. (This is currently how the RBs are performing).

It is also becoming clear that Shady is the preferred runner, with Damien & Darrel as the lead pass catchers and pass protection RBs. I am beginning to doubt if Shady can unseat these RBs in there roles. 

All 3 RBs are solid pass catchers, but Shady is lacking in the pass protection area compared to Damien & Darrel. Is this something that will improve as Shady becomes more accustomed to the KC offense? Who knows!

Heres some pass protection stats on the KC backfield via PFF

Pass Block Snaps          Total Snaps         Pass Blocking Grade
McCoy                2                                76                              18
Damien               3                                84                             80.1
Darrel                 4                                42                             82.4

While it is an extremely small sample, it appears as Darrel has emerged as the top pass blocker, pass blocking on 9.5% of his snaps compared to 2.6% for Shady and 3.5% for Damien. Also note McCoy has the highest rushing grade from PFF. (second is Darrel)

Dont bother. They will just laugh at you and call you a troll. McCoy truthers are gathering in the hot tub time machine and are expecting 2012 McCoy to show up any day now. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Haha 1

Anyone seen news yet on McCoy or DWill’s status? My dart throws this year to find an RB2 were David Montgomery, Michel, Miles Sanders, and McCoy. I’m bordering on missing on all of them. Yikes. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by gufomel
8 minutes ago, gufomel said:

Anyone seen news yet on McCoy or DWill’s status? My dart throws this year to find an RB2 were David Montgomery, Michel, Miles Sanders, and McCoy. I’m bordering on missing on all of them. Yikes. 🤦‍♂️

Not a peep. I did rewatch the Baltimore game last night on Gamepass (condensed version), and McCoy looked beastly. The ankle didn’t seem to be affecting him at all. Still recommend grabbing Darrel Williams as insurance though, just in case. Maybe we’ll get a practice report later today. 

Edited by kraftwrk_5

Eric Fisher, Tyreek Hill and Damien Williams will not practice today for the #Chiefs, per Andy Reid.

— BJ Kissel (@ChiefsReporter) September 25, 2019

Shady is practicing.  That's a surprise.  I thought for sure they would let him rest today.

Very likely only going to be a limited practice, but still a good sign.  Last week he was a DNP on Wed, then limited Thursday, and then full on Friday.

If he's practicing today, he's definitely playing on Sunday unless he reaggravates it during practice or something.

• Like 4