NBC Sports Edge Forums

LeSean McCoy 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

High stakes leagues have the same losers, just with more money.

Duke Johnson owners right now..  

Posted Images

Contrary to popular belief here, I knew he wasn’t going to be a bell cow and that this would be a split, but I thought McCoy would outscore Williams when I started him today. Oh well, might have to start them both now, I hate RBCCs because you never now which one will have the better day. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Contrary to popular belief here, I knew he wasn’t going to be a bell cow and that this would be a split, but I thought McCoy would outscore Williams when I started him today. Oh well, might have to start them both now, I hate RBCCs because you never now which one will have the better day. 

Yeah, on my fantasy team of Player-I-Don't-Actually-Own, I always have trouble deciding between McCaffrey, Cook, Zeke, and Kamara.  I never get the right combination. 

-----

Also, I don't think anyone projected McCoy to have a "bell cow" role.  That's implicit in the fact that everyone is calling him a RB2/flex.  if McCoy was a bellcow, he'd be a RB1.  Not to mention people using words like "1A."

McCoy is the lead back and starter.  But he's not their primary receiving back, which means he will likely sit during the two-minute drill.  He'll lose goal line work; however much remains to be seen.  He'll also lose general carries just to keep him fresh given his age and injuries.  

I prefer the term "time share" rather than "committee."  Sometimes "RBBC" has connotations that the team will just go with the hot hand and a back's usage could vary greatly week-by-week.  I actually think the RB roles are decently fleshed out, and McCoy will get guaranteed touches.  But I think his touch ceiling is relatively low.  

No idea how this changes with Damien.  My guess is that he and Darrell fight over the COP/receiving role.  I don't think they'll cannibalize McCoy's carries too much.   

• Like 1

He has done enough to show he is the best RB on the roster, even if he is past his prime. However, unfortunately, it appears they do not trust him in passing situations for whatever reason (which is odd since he succeeded as a three down back his entire career, including for Reid in Philadelphia). He won't be able to carve out a dominant market share like Charles, Ware, Hunt, Ware (again), and Damien Williams did in KC during the Reid era.

I still think he will be a high-end RB2 as their lead RB. He is in the league's best offense and that gives him a high ceiling each week. He just lacks the floor of the lower-end RB1 options and that is the difference between him and them IMO. 

It is still possible that Damien Williams resumes starter status when he returns but that is unlikely. Darrell Williams has exposed that Damien's success was more about the system than Damien.

16 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

He has done enough to show he is the best RB on the roster, even if he is past his prime. However, unfortunately, it appears they do not trust him in passing situations for whatever reason (which is odd since he succeeded as a three down back his entire career, including for Reid in Philadelphia).

To be fair to KC - and saying this as McCoy owner with no other shares of KC RBs - I think there are three good reasons they are justified in giving more passing work to the other backs:

(1)  Pass-blocking.  I just think Darrell Williams has looked better at blocking; bigger body.  Relatedly, Mahomes is not a check-down artist; he is not the type of QB who needs to rely on his RBs (but he still uses them).  I think this places even more of a premium on pass-blocking since check-downs are not the focus of the offense that is adept at big plays.  

(2) McCoy has looked really bad as a receiver, imo.  I have not liked him in the flats - in that much space, you can tell that he's lost a step.  His separation has been poor on routes and if you watch this past game, he was constantly blanketed.  I thought Mahomes might have been frustrated at McCoy at one point.  He just wasn't doing anything with his routes.  Then, when he can actually create enough space to catch the ball, McCoy has been somewhat disappointing.  Too many times going down on the first tackle.  

(3) Age/injury.  No reason to kill McCoy when their other backs are solid in pass protection and better receivers.  

16 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

I still think he will be a high-end RB2 as their lead RB. He is in the league's best offense and that gives him a high ceiling each week. He just lacks the floor of the lower-end RB1 options and that is the difference between him and them IMO. 

Eh, I see low-end RB2.  Like RB #22-26.  I kind of see him like Philip Lindsay.  Maybe a tad less receiving work.  Losing goal line work hurts, as does not playing as much in the 4th quarter.  

• Like 1

What elevates him to me is his TD opportunities relative to other players in the RB2 discussion. Plus, despite the limited touches, he has been efficient so he can rack up more yards on 12-15 touches than some other RBs can on 20.

A lot of this is speculation. For all we know Damien Williams will take the lead role when he returns. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

McCoy has been very servicable but one of the D Will's will continue to be a thorn. 

This is the issue. And we likely won't know for at least a week or two what this backfield distribution will look like. My concern is McCoy is clearly not the best GL back they have, and also not the best receiving back. That's gonna severely limit his production once Damien is healthy. 

Shady is their best pure rusher because he is still slippery and has great vision. But he is clearly behind both D Williams guys in terms of pass blocking and receiving. Actually if you watched the game and focus on pass protection, Darrel Williams put on a clinic. I wasn't surprised at all that Darrel was in the game on that crucial game winning drive.

Given his age and that Shady is seemingly always playing through some sort of knock or injury, I don't see his role growing. Will remain about the same all season long. If Damien returns, he is more of a threat to Darrel than Shady.

1 hour ago, frog34 said:

Shady is their best pure rusher because he is still slippery and has great vision. But he is clearly behind both D Williams guys in terms of pass blocking and receiving. Actually if you watched the game and focus on pass protection, Darrel Williams put on a clinic. I wasn't surprised at all that Darrel was in the game on that crucial game winning drive.

Given his age and that Shady is seemingly always playing through some sort of knock or injury, I don't see his role growing. Will remain about the same all season long. If Damien returns, he is more of a threat to Darrel than Shady.

Exactly, neither Williams is a threat to Shady. He is their best rusher. The Williams sisters are their best pass blockers. RBBC ROS. McCoy is a RB2 ROS and the Williams sisters are solid flex players.

Lost in most of this conversation is the fact he is still not @ 100% so the fact he isn't used as much in the passing or short yardage pkgs is expected. While it may continue it is also a possibility that especially his passing game role may increase. Short yardage likely won't due to the success of Venus & Serena with their thicker trunks plowing into the pile. Shady could be on the field more in the 2 min drill offense or comeback mode as his health & endurance increases. Borderline RB1/ RB 2 ROS

2 hours ago, yanksman said:

Exactly, neither Williams is a threat to Shady. He is their best rusher. The Williams sisters are their best pass blockers. RBBC ROS. McCoy is a RB2 ROS and the Williams sisters are solid flex players.

Pass blocking is all fine and well... Just don’t ask Darell to run routes.   Shady is out there nabbing one handed swing passes and making guys miss while Darell can’t even figure out when to turn around and look for the ball.   He was awful as the receiving back and almost cost them the game.    

Damien is the guy that takes this passing game to another level when the wr connections aren’t firing on all cylinders.    Good pass blocker and elite route runner/ hands.   

• Haha 1
Just now, Impreza178 said:

Pass blocking is all fine and well... Just don’t ask Darell to run routes.   Shady is out there nabbing one handed swing passes and making guys miss while Darell can’t even figure out when to turn around and look for the ball.   He was awful as the receiving back and almost cost them the game.    

Damien is the guy that takes this passing game to another level when the wr connections aren’t firing on all cylinders.    Good pass blocker and elite route runner/ hands.   

too bad shady couldnt finish off his impressive performance  with teh game winning td....

1 minute ago, championship or bust said:

too bad shady couldnt finish off his impressive performance  with teh game winning td....

Nothing wrong with using Darrel as the hammer...but Yeah....I figure Shady is still banged up and on a limited snap count.     

One thing to note is pass blocking and routes are the two things that take the most time to learn for a back. Obviously, at this stage of the season Shady should already know the system quite well especially since he played for Reid before but down the stretch it makes sense to go with a guy that's been with the team. 

His volume should continue to go up as the season goes on and he gets more comfortable playing on this team. If he can settle around 14 carries and a few receptions there is RB1 upside on this team. He's not far off now from there. Regardless, he is still most likely an RB2 taken in double digit rounds. Been a life saver as a Barkley owner.

• Reid explained why RB Darrel Williamsreceived time over RB LeSean McCoytoward the end of Sunday’s game: “We have confidence in all those guys. If one guy gets a little tired, we can rotate the other guy in. Obviously, Darrel is a little more familiar with the protections, just having done them all for the time that he has, and they’re different from what LeSean had done in Philly. He’s getting caught up in that area so that’s part of it. Most of it comes down to trying to keep the guys in a rotation and keep them fresh, that’s what we really try to do.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2019/9/30/20892168/andy-reid-i-got-so-excited-i-thought-mozart-was-an-artist

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
19 hours ago, FreakFries said:
  • Reid explained why RB Darrel Williamsreceived time over RB LeSean McCoytoward the end of Sunday’s game: “We have confidence in all those guys. If one guy gets a little tired, we can rotate the other guy in. Obviously, Darrel is a little more familiar with the protections, just having done them all for the time that he has, and they’re different from what LeSean had done in Philly. He’s getting caught up in that area so that’s part of it. Most of it comes down to trying to keep the guys in a rotation and keep them fresh, that’s what we really try to do.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2019/9/30/20892168/andy-reid-i-got-so-excited-i-thought-mozart-was-an-artist

Didn’t do that with Hunt....definition of a RBBC. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, yanksman said:

West was the 2 minute back even with Hunt

Williams has out-snapped McCoy last two weeks 54% to 38% and 51% to 46% and its close to a 50-50 split in touches too. That never happened with West and Hunt. Its a RBBC. 

Just now, Dexter75 said:

Williams has out-snapped McCoy last two weeks 54% to 38% and 51% to 46% and its close to a 50-50 split in touches too. That never happened with West and Hunt. Its a RBBC. 

It’s definitely a committee but McCoy is only getting less snaps because he is still learning the Chiefs blocking schemes. He’s the lead back because he’s the most talented. As he learns the system better each week, his share will increase compared to Williams. Once all three are healthy, it will become a 3 back committee, but I still see McCoy retaining lead back duties.  

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

It’s definitely a committee but McCoy is only getting less snaps because he is still learning the Chiefs blocking schemes. He’s the lead back because he’s the most talented. As he learns the system better each week, his share will increase compared to Williams. Once all three are healthy, it will become a 3 back committee, but I still see McCoy retaining lead back duties.  

Hes been with the team a month. It doesn't take that long to learn their schemes, especially when he's played for Reid before. Hes the lead back because Damien Williams got hurt. Will be interesting to see if Damien goes back to his starting role once healthy. I hope not because I dropped him.