NBC Sports Edge Forums

LeSean McCoy 2019 Outlook

10. LeSean McCoy apparently has plenty left in the tank. All he had to do was get out of Buffalo. The Eagles' all-time leading rusher is 2nd in the NFL at 5.4 yards per carry (behind only Ravens QB Lamar Jackson) playing for Andy Reid in Kansas City. His 4.5 career average is 7th-highest in NFL history among backs with 10,000 yards. And he now has an incredible 48 career games with 10 or more carries and 5.0 yards per rush. Only Barry Sanders (64), Frank Gore (57), Walter Payton (56), Jim Brown (55) and Adrian Peterson (50) have had more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/lesean-mccoy-derek-barnett-vs-134600201.html

In contrast to McCoy’s NFL RB-best 5.4 ypc Damien Williams has a 1.7 ypc on the year.

Seems like it wouldn’t be a bad idea to give McCoy more work with Mahomes out, no? 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

High stakes leagues have the same losers, just with more money.

Duke Johnson owners right now..  

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

10. LeSean McCoy apparently has plenty left in the tank. All he had to do was get out of Buffalo. The Eagles' all-time leading rusher is 2nd in the NFL at 5.4 yards per carry (behind only Ravens QB Lamar Jackson) playing for Andy Reid in Kansas City. His 4.5 career average is 7th-highest in NFL history among backs with 10,000 yards. And he now has an incredible 48 career games with 10 or more carries and 5.0 yards per rush. Only Barry Sanders (64), Frank Gore (57), Walter Payton (56), Jim Brown (55) and Adrian Peterson (50) have had more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/lesean-mccoy-derek-barnett-vs-134600201.html

In contrast to McCoy’s NFL RB-best 5.4 ypc Damien Williams has a 1.7 ypc on the year.

Seems like it wouldn’t be a bad idea to give McCoy more work with Mahomes out, no? 

Prime example of why many stats can be deceiving. Hes sitting on 5.4 YPC  because he's only had 60 carries which is nothing. Duke Johnson has a 6.5 YPC and Breida has a 5.8 YPC. Chase Daniel has the best completion percentage in the league, but thats nothing to brag about because he's attempted half as many passes as most every other QB, same situation as McCoy. You get the idea, its a useless stat unless every back you are comparing has within 10+/- carries of each other. YPG is a much more telling stat and McCoy is at 30 behind guys like Ronald Jones, Jordan Howard and guys who haven't even played much like Justin Jackson. Try to spin it all you'd like by cherry picking stats, but McCoy has not been good this year.

Edited by Dexter75
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Prime example of why many stats can be deceiving. Hes sitting on 5.4 YPC  because he's only had 60 carries which is nothing. Duke Johnson has a 6.5 YPC and Breida has a 5.8 YPC. Chase Daniel has the best completion percentage in the league, but thats nothing to brag about because he's attempted half as many passes as most every other QB, same situation as McCoy. You get the idea, its a useless stat unless every back you are comparing has within 10+/- carries of each other. YPG is a much more telling stat and McCoy is at 30 behind guys like Ronald Jones, Jordan Howard and guys who haven't even played much like Justin Jackson. Try to spin it all you'd like by cherry picking stats, but McCoy has not been good this year.

yard per game has the same problem with small sample size since the sample is only 6. 

17 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Prime example of why many stats can be deceiving. Hes sitting on 5.4 YPC  because he's only had 60 carries which is nothing...

McCoy has not been good this year.

The 33rd ranked running back with 66 carries this year McCoy ranks 19th in rushing yards. 

McCoy has rushed extremely well this year with limited opportunities. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

What are you talking about? How can you say he hasn't been good if he's averaging 5.4 ypc? I get the limited number of carries but it would be much more accurate to say he's played well but hasn't had a huge role.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dexter75 said:

Well, he’s got more yards per game, and has played more games, than any other RB in the KC backfield and those are the comparisons that matter the most. 

Seems like McCoy will be getting more touches and as long as the KC offense is competent 50-70 yards a week is realistic. That’s RB2 yardage in standard which I play. Since I got McCoy on the cheap and didn’t have to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him, that is solid value. 

Edited by FreakFries
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

That's true, but McCoy's ceiling is fairly low barring injury to one of the Williams. And all three backs are unstartable IMO. Personally I'd rather roster a high-end handcuff, assuming one was out there. A guy like Edmonds for instance. I know he's largely owned now, but he wasn't two weeks ago. My guess is he pays much higher dividends than McCoy ROS. 

Rostering a cuff who is only playable if someone gets injured is fine, but that assumes you have 2-3 playable RBs ahead of Shady on your roster, which in a 12 team league isn't that likely.  Shady has been startable in a flex esp during bye weeks, a cuff hasn't been.  I'd rather drop a WR for a cuff and hold on to Shady who clearly has some value, and could easily see that value rise with Mahomes out now.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dexter75 said:

So how is cherry picking the last 3 games to prove that Shady isn't better than JAG wire RBs not deceiving? Again look at the season on the whole so far - because when it's all said and done we will look back at production over the full 13 games to judge performance, not a random 3 game sample.  Take out this week's game and Shady is still way more productive than any JAG wire RB like Ito or Hines.  And to say to drop an RB that is getting the majority of the carries on his team like Shady is, makes no sense since the guys on the wire aren't playable at all, Shady has been and is.  Unless you're playing in a 10 team league where you actually can afford to drop a starting RB that is.  You wouldnt suggest dropping any other RB getting 12-15 touches a game, so why Shady?  Beyond your perceived bias against him bc of your draft of Williams in the first place.  And again most ppl paid 12th round value for Shady, not 2nd-3rd round value, so for him to be a fill-in on bye weeks and have upside just sitting on your bench is much better than rostering Ito Smith or Hines.

12 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

McCoy has played well and WOULD put up top 10 RB numbers easily if he was given the volume.

There in lies the problem, when you're only getting 10 touches a game and constantly being subbed out.

you could say the same thing for 15 other backs too. They are in an RBCC just like McCoy for one reason and one reason only, they are not good enough to be featured backs getting 18+ touches a game. You think Reid isn’t giving McCoy more touches because he likes messing with your fantasy team? If McCoy were really that good, Reid would have him as a featured back like Hunt was the last two years, but he’s not so he isn’t. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 1
Just now, Dexter75 said:

you could say the same thing for 15 other backs too. They are in an RBCC just like McCoy for one reason and one reason only, they are not good enough to be featured backs getting 18+ touches a game. If McCoy were really that good, Reid would have him a a featured back like Hunt was the last two years, but he’s not so he isn’t. 

It has nothing to do with not being good enough.  With that logic any RBs in a committee like Breida or Coleman, or Freeman or Lindsay aren't good enough.  They're in RBBC's, like literally 20 other teams are.  Not because they aren't good enough but because of the wear and tear on RBs in general, and coaching staff's choices to utilize their backfields in that way.  It has actually nothing to do with not being good enough.  C'mon man you're a little smarter than that to use that flawed logic. 

• Like 1

You couldn't be more wrong. No coach is going to play RBBC if he has a back good enough to not need it. You may notice Barkley isn't in an RBBC, or McCaffrey (etc). Yours is the flawed logic. 

That said, I do think McCoy should be not necessarily the "bell cow" but the clear lead back.

31 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

you could say the same thing for 15 other backs too. They are in an RBCC just like McCoy for one reason and one reason only, they are not good enough to be featured backs getting 18+ touches a game. You think Reid isn’t giving McCoy more touches because he likes messing with your fantasy team? If McCoy were really that good, Reid would have him as a featured back like Hunt was the last two years, but he’s not so he isn’t. 

McCoy isn't good enough to be a workhorse back?

Wow, ok. His career numbers say otherwise.

If you polled a lot of the best defensive players in the NFL I guarantee you they would say McCoy has been one of the better offensive players in the NFL since he entered the league.

Is he as good as he was on the Eagles? Probably not but he still can play in this league at a high level.

I sincerely doubt McCoy told Andy Reid that he wants to be a part time player. If given the chance he would surely do very well if given a larger role moving forward.

The winning formula was the Baltimore game. McCoy and Darrell.

How could you McCoy haters ever suggest Shady is washed up?... Hmm looks pretty dam good to me. If they were to increase his workload, he could handle it. He has handled a heavy workload with longevity as great as anyone in the past 10 years.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

McCoy isn't good enough to be a workhorse back?

Wow, ok. His career numbers say otherwise.

His career doesn't mean jack about how good he is today. Based on that logic, somebody should sign and start Jim Brown or Franco Harris. 

He still has some gas left in the tank, but he's hardly the same back he was in his prime. Again I think he should be the 1a to Williams or whoever's 1b, but no more. He's no workhorse back. 

• Haha 1
58 minutes ago, bomont said:

You couldn't be more wrong. No coach is going to play RBBC if he has a back good enough to not need it. You may notice Barkley isn't in an RBBC, or McCaffrey (etc). Yours is the flawed logic. 

That said, I do think McCoy should be not necessarily the "bell cow" but the clear lead back.

So Kamara wasn't good enough to be a bellcow the previous 2 seasons?  Since Payton ran an RBBC with Ingram and Kamara for that period.  Not every coach will use one RB exclusively.  Jones is good enough for a bellcow role but he doesn't get it in Green Bay either.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TheINC said:

So Kamara wasn't good enough to be a bellcow the previous 2 seasons?  Since Payton ran an RBBC with Ingram and Kamara for that period. 

That is an exception, and I don't deny those exist.  But in fairness keep in mind he was used a TON as a receiver as well, so he was still effectively a "bell cow" but not just as a RB. Plus he isn't big/durable enough to get bell cow type carries.

Jones is good enough for a bellcow role but he doesn't get it in Green Bay either.

Another durability issue. He has a history of knee injuries so they try to limit his touches. 

1 hour ago, bomont said:

That is an exception, and I don't deny those exist.  But in fairness keep in mind he was used a TON as a receiver as well, so he was still effectively a "bell cow" but not just as a RB. Plus he isn't big/durable enough to get bell cow type carries.

Another durability issue. He has a history of knee injuries so they try to limit his touches. 

Every RB has durability issues, it's the nature of the position, look at Barkley now.  I just don't think you can make the blanket statement that if the RB was good enough he would be a bellcow.  Maybe 3 or 4 seasons ago yes, but clearly the NFL is moving towards RBBCs across the board with a handful of exceptions - the true bellcows like CMC, Barks, Fournette, Bell, etc. but they're getting rarer and rarer. I just don't believe it's purely a talent issue.

1 hour ago, TheINC said:

Every RB has durability issues, it's the nature of the position, look at Barkley now.  I just don't think you can make the blanket statement that if the RB was good enough he would be a bellcow.  Maybe 3 or 4 seasons ago yes, but clearly the NFL is moving towards RBBCs across the board with a handful of exceptions - the true bellcows like CMC, Barks, Fournette, Bell, etc. but they're getting rarer and rarer. I just don't believe it's purely a talent issue.

Handful of exceptions? 

CMC

Zeke

Barkley

Fournette

Bell

Mack

Chubb

Cook

Carson

Kamara

Henry

Conner

Johnson

Ingram

Jacobs

and that's just off the top of my head. Thats a lot more than a handful...

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Dexter75 said:

Handful of exceptions? 

CMC

Zeke

Barkley

Fournette

Bell

Mack

Chubb

Cook

Carson

Kamara

Henry

Conner

Johnson

Ingram

Jacobs

and that's just off the top of my head. Thats a lot more than a handful...

that’s less than half the league and most of this bell cow RBs are getting that work because the QB and/or passing game doesn’t have the coaching staff’s trust. It’s out of necessity not choice. If that trend holds true by the way, it only increases the likelihood that McCoy gets more carries while Mahomes is out.

3 hours ago, FreakFries said:

that’s less than half the league and most of this bell cow RBs are getting that work because the QB and/or passing game doesn’t have the coaching staff’s trust. It’s out of necessity not choice. If that trend holds true by the way, it only increases the likelihood that McCoy gets more carries while Mahomes is out.

Whether a RB is a featured back or in a RBBC has zero to do with the QB and passing game. It has to do with if they feel comfortable enough with said RB being a "bell cow," or featured back. I was just pointing out that his comment about only a handful of teams using a bell cow back is inaccurate. I just listed 15 teams who use a featured back who gets 70% or more of the workload. Thats a bell cow back. 

Edited by Dexter75
10 hours ago, TheINC said:

No every RB doesn't have durability issues. "Durability issues" doesn't mean they ever suffer an injury of any kind ever in their career. We're talking repeated injuries and repeatedly missing time. The bell cow RB may be less frequent today, but I'm not sure that's a growing trend vs just the talent and various situations that exist today which is always shifting.

Back to McCoy...

I think Reid is coming around to the fact that McCoy should at the very least be the 1a back and get the majority of carries. I don't own him so probably  :lol:

Just on eye test alone, Shady should be getting a majority of the rushing work, at least. A couple of the runs on Thursday that Shady made, no way in hell Damien gets anywhere close to those gains. Shady still has some wiggle, still has great vision. This seems too obvious to me, I hope Andy comes around to this conclusion soon. 

This is how it breaks down -

1.  Matt Moore is not mahomes, and therefore we will not see them chuck it 40 times and run 10.  Logic dictates they will not have a game plan based upon Matt Moore connecting on bombs.

2.  McCoy is the preferred back as a rusher.  2 games ago that was clear, and the rushes were only close this past game because Damien got 5 rushes on the last drive when they were up 24 points.

3.  McCoy got 13 touches last game and, with more emphasis on the run and dump offs, that should be his minimum until mahomes is back.

4.  The chiefs still have tyreek and kelce.  Teams can focus more on stopping the run, but they can't just put 8 men in the box every down.  Chiefs have premier playmakers at wr and re.

• Like 2