NBC Sports Edge Forums

Daniel Lynch-P-KC

KC has drafted/acquired some nice SP prospects in the past year or so and Lynch is probably my favorite with the highest ceiling of them all. 

Drafted 34th overall in 2018. Had an excellent K-BB ratio in college and great K/9 which carried over to rookie ball and A ball in 51 innings last year with an ERA under 1.6. Excited to see how he does vs better competition this season--could move fast. 

• 11 months later...

Pitched yesterday in ST against some Cubs regulars and went 2 IP with 2HA and a couple Ks.

Yeah the Klaw rank def took me by surprise, here is a snippet of his write-up:

"If it wasn’t for Padres prospect MacKenzie Gore, Lynch might have the best pure stuff of any lefty prospect in the minors. Lynch hit 99 mph in the Fall Stars Game in the Arizona Fall League, and regularly worked from 94-97 during the season with a plus slider and an above-average changeup, mixing in a two-seamer and curveball as well."

"He extends very well out front to make use of his long 6-foot-6 frame. He’s a good athlete, but still somewhat gangly, and doesn’t repeat his delivery as well as he should just yet, so his command and control are behind the stuff."

"He also missed part of the summer due to a sore shoulder; the Royals shut him down for precautionary reasons, and he finished the year healthy and with the same velocity he had had before the injury. He’s really not far away and has the highest ceiling of any of the Royals’ stable of legit starting pitching prospects."

• Like 3

I don't know what to think. I've always been a big believer in Fangraphs. Here is a snippet of their thoughts on Lynch.

TLDR

Lefties up to 97 don't grow on trees and Lynch has several viable offerings to mix in with the heater.

Full Report

On the Cape and in the first half of his junior spring, Lynch looked like a solid third round prospect, a pitchability lefty sitting 88-92 mph with mostly average stuff, and above-average feel and command. In the month or so leading up to the draft, Lynch's velo ticked up, and down the stretch he sat 92-94, touching 95 mph deep into starts, with an assortment of offspeed pitches that all flashed above-average. The track record of Virginia arms is concerning, but Lynch seemed less beholden to the issues traditionally associated with their prospects, with some scouts considering him endearingly rebellious. He throws a cutter, slider, curveball, and changeup that all flash above-average, with the slider occasionally flashing plus. He was 93-95 last year, and while Lynch missed a month and a half with an arm injury last summer, all of that velo and more was back in the fall, so the velo uptick has held for nearly a year now. He's a No. 4 starter.

A # 4 starter doesn't sound too impressive to me. Fangraphs has him ranked # 72 overall, and 24 amongst pitchers. How can they be that far off? In my opinion it's harder for pitchers to reach their ceilings. I think he's closer to the Fangraphs ranking versus the KLaw ranking.

Here's what Prospectslive had to say on their top 100 list:

"The 6-foot-6 lefty can dial the fastball up to the upper-90s, but sits comfortably at 94-95 and he pairs it with a devastating slider that gets plus grades. His big curveball is an average offering and he mixes in a changeup that’s shown signs of being a plus pitch. He looked strong in the AFL after missing two months of the season with arm soreness. He throws every pitch with a purpose and attacks hitters. Lynch is likely to settle in as a two or three starter, but if that changeup improves some more he could develop into something special."

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Lynch is up to 99 mph and 17th on Klaws list, 25th in BA. Not much hype behind him either as many have had him behind a few others in KC (like Lacy, Singer, etc). Sneaky riser. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, coldstream said:

Just curious.... Anyone expect this guy to make the opening day roster? 

No. Even if ready no rookie makes the starting day roster because of clubs wanting that 6th year of control.  And waiting until some time in June saves them a year of arbitration as well.

And the first few weeks you only use 4 pitchers at most anyway because of all the days off around the various Opening Days in case of bad weather etc.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No. Even if ready no rookie makes the starting day roster because of clubs wanting that 6th year of control. 

i believe its a 7th year that you get if you wait out the first month or whatever, Like Acuna/Bryant.  

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
THU, APR 29, 2:29 PMROTOWIRE.COM

Lynch will begin the season at Triple-A Omaha, Alec Lewis of The Athletic reports.

Spin: Lynch hasn't previously pitched above the High-A level, though he likely would have been on track to open this year in Triple-A if not for last year's canceled minor-league season. The Royals were evidently impressed enough with his work at the alternate site that they'll promote him there anyway without any Double-A action. In 15 starts for High-A Wilmington in 2019, he recorded a 3.10 ERA and 1.26 WHIP.