NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Eric Lauer 2019 Outlook

CrypTviLL

Dime a dozen lefty.  Interesting enough he has 5 pitches, fastball, cutter, slider, curve and change.  Only problem is all 5 graded out as terrible lol.  In reality he sucks, he’ll probsbly start first or second game and be replaced by better players at some point.  Streamer type guy.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Eric Lauer has been named the Padres' Opening Day starter.

The honor had seemed likely to go to Joey Lucchesi, but Lucchesi will pitch the second game next weekend against the Giants. Lauer earned the Opening Day nod by tossing 10 scoreless innings this spring, giving up just two hits and three walks while fanning 12 along the way. The southpaw doesn't have lights-out stuff, but he posted excellent minor league numbers and was solid in 23 starts with the Padres last season. He's worth a late-round selection in fantasy leagues.

the first game is in SD against the Giants.

Lauer depends on his pitch mix and his ability to hit spots. Good news is he has a nice variety of pitches and great control. So, it’s very possible he can keep batters off balance and be effective. He definitely will not blow guys away, but his K/9 is also respectable. His minor league stats were way above average and he is only 23 years old. I see him as a left-handed Shane Bieber.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 1:14 AM, Cmilne23 said:

Dime a dozen lefty.  Interesting enough he has 5 pitches, fastball, cutter, slider, curve and change.  Only problem is all 5 graded out as terrible lol.  In reality he sucks, he’ll probsbly start first or second game and be replaced by better players at some point.  Streamer type guy.  

All offerings graded terrible? By who?... from what I've seen his pitches are mainly 55 and 50, and I think his change 45... no plus stuff stuff but a few 50-55 offerings is solid... maybe one or two overperform from the scouting grade. 

His stuff isn't that exciting but he's a pitcher not a thrower. He thrived in high leverage situations last year (233 av, 687 OPS against).  I'll keep my eye on him,  could be a solid SP5 with spurts like he had down the stretch to finish out the year (1.08 ERA in last 5 starts).

• Like 3

First round pick in 2016.  Named Opening Day starter.  Pitched 10 scoreless innings with a 12/3 k/bb this Spring.  After returning from a forearm strain late last season, he posted a 1.07 ERA, 0.99 Whip, 25 k’s in 25 innings down the stretch.  If this doesn’t scream sleeper, I don’t know what does.  Those in leagues with 14+ teams should definitely take notice.  Petco can only help and Padres as a team should be much better.  I can think of a lot worse players to take a flier on late in drafts

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

More like Glavine, IMO.  

I have Strahm as Glavine, not stuff wise, but chance to be elite

I see Lauer as a kick a** no 3, better than most teams 3s, where as I see Strahm as a 2 possible 1 if he gets his stamina

Then there is Paddack who is obviously Maddux

and Gore who is Kershaw, Espinoza who is Pedro, Patino who is Pedro also, and Morejon who is Johan prime

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

I see Lauer as a kick a** no 3, better than most teams 3s, where as I see Strahm as a 2 possible 1 if he gets his stamina

and Gore who is Kershaw, Espinoza who is Pedro, Patino who is Pedro also, and Morejon who is Johan prime

sweet dreams Golden Spikes

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

That is one hell of a staff coming soon. 

4 hours ago, StevieStats said:

All offerings graded terrible? By who?... from what I've seen his pitches are mainly 55 and 50, and I think his change 45... no plus stuff stuff but a few 50-55 offerings is solid... maybe one or two overperform from the scouting grade. 

His stuff isn't that exciting but he's a pitcher not a thrower. He thrived in high leverage situations last year (233 av, 687 OPS against).  I'll keep my eye on him,  could be a solid SP5 with spurts like he had down the stretch to finish out the year (1.08 ERA in last 5 starts).

Fangraphs, all his pitch values were negative.  He’s young though, I agree he’s probably worth keeping an eye on. I watched a handful of his starts last year and just saw a vanilla lefty without anything that will generate enough whiffs to combat good major league lineups.  Lefties even sported an .844 OPS vs him.  But he’s still learning and on an improving team so not a bad guy to watch early and see if he’s taking any steps forward.  

Edited by Cmilne23

Streamer for now. Sure, second half numbers look good and he is young. But, it was only 34.1 innings and almost all of those good games came in September after rosters were expanded. I tend to take those with a grain of salt. Only surpassed 5 innings in one of those starts. Maybe there were limiting his workload or being cautious after the injury...who knows. But, he averaged under 5 innings per start for the year. I will be using him against SF in a couple leagues and then go from there. 

Edited by HK-47

6 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Fangraphs, all his pitch values were negative.  He’s young though, I agree he’s probably worth keeping an eye on. I watched a handful of his starts last year and just saw a vanilla lefty without anything that will generate enough whiffs to combat good major league lineups.  Lefties even sported an .844 OPS vs him.  But he’s still learning and on an improving team so not a bad guy to watch early and see if he’s taking any steps forward.  

Ok... I see... just terminology difference... those fangraphs aren't scouting grading for skills, but performance based statistics. 

Also depends if you look at pitch values or pitch info values, pitch info had his slider as a +3.6... regardless, he needs to improves from last year's overall results to be relevant. 

Well, he's already relevant for at least the first game of the season since he was picked to start the opener over Lucchesi and Paddack. I think that got some attention at least. Too difficult to say if he will be relevant all season, but based on his spring training numbers he has earned some recognition from the San Diego brass at this point in time. It's quite an honor to be picked to start the opener. I'm hoping for a QS from him to start the season (I'm sure all Padres fans are too)!

• Like 3

On 3/25/2019 at 10:11 AM, Golden Spikes said:

So...Lauer= Smoltz as #3?