NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Eric Lauer 2019 Outlook

CrypTviLL

• 1 month later...

Since 4/14 (not including 5/10 at Col) 

7 starts 2 W 1 QS 38 2/3 IP 35 K 1.09 whip (35 hits 7 walks) 2.79 era (12 earned runs) 

At Arizona, vs Cincy, at Wash, vs LAD, vs Pitt, vs Arizona, at NYY

Surprised he’s not getting talked about more

• Like 1

Only a guy I’d stream at home vs weak offenses. I was intrigued by him last night but his underlying stats are ugly. His swinging strike is really, really bad and he’s not a groundball pitcher. Not an ideal combo. 

6 innings 1 run 2 hits 3 walks 3 strikeouts at home against the Phillies. 4 straight starts with 1 earned run. 

Been on a roll in his last 8 starts minus at Colorado. I didn’t watch his whole start but I did see some hard hit balls the Phillies just missed, like Kingery missed a homer by inches. Still he’s a nice back end of the rotation option at home and against weak offenses on the road. Doesn’t hurt ratios and hasn’t given up runs lately. If only he could get through 6 more often (only twice in this 8 game run). 

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Outside of his two blow-ups at Colorado, Lauer has a 3.09 era and 1.12 whip. How do his underlying metrics looks? Are they still looking scary?

Lauer's career home/road splits are too extreme for me to use a roster spot on him but I'll stream him all day at home (Home ERA: 3.42. Away ERA: 5.42). That said, you raise a good point re:Coors. If you remove Coors where he has a 19.73 ERA over 8.2 that probably makes his overall road numbers a little more palatable.

1 hour ago, fletch44 said:

Lauer's career home/road splits are too extreme for me to use a roster spot on him but I'll stream him all day at home (Home ERA: 3.42. Away ERA: 5.42). That said, you raise a good point re:Coors. If you remove Coors where he has a 19.73 ERA over 8.2 that probably makes his overall road numbers a little more palatable.

According to baseball-reference, his home ERA this year is 2.70...on the road, an abysmal 6.49 with a 1.50 WHIP. If you remove the 5.2 innings at Coors this year, his road ERA drops to 3.72 and WHIP to 1.03...if my math is correct. 

He’s just scary bad in Coors, lol. His 8.2 career innings there...19 er and 32 baserunners. Good grief, lol. His career road numbers aren’t great even if you remove his three starts there, but they are much better lol. 

The moral to this story...NEVER start Lauer when he’s in Colorado.