NBC Sports Edge Forums

Eloy Jimenez 2019 Outlook

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eloy is pretty dissimilar to Moncada. Moncada was a top prospect bc of his potential and athleticism and ridiculous body, etc. Eloy had great success in the minors and has a hit tool that will allow h

He is being thrown the highest % of breaking balls of any player in the majors so far this year.  He’s getting a rude introduction to the majors and it’s showing in his k’s.  As a dynasty owner of his

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Placed on the IL with a high ankle sprain.

Those take longer to heal than the lower ones.  Two months at least probably.

• 2 weeks later...

He's too good to *not* hit.

Through his first 12 games this year he was hitting .319, albeit with not much power yet. 

His last 10 games since, his average has dropped dramatically. The power will be there. That'll come. The contact and average looks like a young player that got adjusted to after a solid start, now he's gotta adjust back. 

Verlander and Cole the next 2 days though won't be fun.

Jimenez looks like he's pressing to me. I really like him but I think he's trying too hard. Tight as a corkscrew in the batters box. Tough to hit MLB pitches when you're tight. Just my opinion. I hope he changes his approach as the season goes on. Right now he looks a bit over matched. More suitable for AAA right now. I have him on my team and and I'm willing to hold onto him because its a keeper league. If I was in a redraft league I probably would trade him. I think it may take him a couple of years for him to reach his potential. Patience with Jimenez will be important.

2 minutes ago, coleporter said:

This probably is a bench coach question but is he droppable? I know he’s a top 3 prospect and coming back ftom injury but he’s not playable at the moment.

Even in re-draft, I’d say to weather to the storm. Put him on your bench and give it some time. 

I dropped him 4 days before his injury, so far not making me regret it. He doesn’t seem to have a lot of power, doesn’t steal bases, and isn’t making a lot of contact right now. Not sure what the stats under the hood look like but that’s what my eye says so far. 

• Haha 2
On 4/1/2019 at 4:37 PM, Gandalfthecat said:

He's getting a hard dose of reality by facing major league breaking balls. 

Yep. He’s facing more sliders and curveballs than anyone.

He’ll eventually settle in and hit them. Once he does, he’ll get back to seeing fastballs more. He’s definitely in a huge adjustment period right now.

There’s a long list of guys that struggled initially, but I think back to Aaron Judge.

First 95 PA, 4 HR, 10 RBI, .179 BA, 44.2% K rate

Eloy’s first 92 PA, 3 HR, 8 RBI, .221 BA, 31.5% K rate

Both chased a lot too. Likely pressing.

Not a guarantee that Eloy will be great, but he is/was universally revered as a prospect that will hit for average and power. That doesn’t go out the window after 92 PA’s vs MLB pitching.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 20Duval904 said:

Yep. He’s facing more sliders and curveballs than anyone.

He’ll eventually settle in and hit them. Once he does, he’ll get back to seeing fastballs more. He’s definitely in a huge adjustment period right now.

There’s a long list of guys that struggled initially, but I think back to Aaron Judge.

First 95 PA, 4 HR, 10 RBI, .179 BA, 44.2% K rate

Eloy’s first 92 PA, 3 HR, 8 RBI, .221 BA, 31.5% K rate

Both chased a lot too. Likely pressing.

Not a guarantee that Eloy will be great, but he is/was universally revered as a prospect that will hit for average and power. That doesn’t go out the window after 92 PA’s vs MLB pitching.

Judge had the whole off season to work on his game and then went off the next season, Trout did the same thing. This is a lot different because he needs to make some serious in season adjustments, I’m sure Eloy will improve this season but I don’t think he’s going to be anything special this year. 

12 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

I dropped him 4 days before his injury, so far not making me regret it. He doesn’t seem to have a lot of power, doesn’t steal bases, and isn’t making a lot of contact right now. Not sure what the stats under the hood look like but that’s what my eye says so far. 

I would be careful describing Eloy as not having a lot of power....

• Like 1