NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Justin Verlander 2019 Outlook

With him turning 36 does he have another elite year in him? Earlier in spring I thought I had heard his velocity was down but have not heard anything since. He did comment after his last start
that he noticed some flaw that he corrected with his hip and thinks the change can lead to a better year than last. 

A drop in spring velocity doesn't concern me here. He's 36 and as established of an ace as exists in baseball; he doesn't need to show that he can throw 100 in March. Sure, the age will catch up to him eventually, but he has room to decline and still be an excellent starter. His spring results look fine and there's a report that he's improved his changeup. I'm not anywhere remotely close to worried at this point.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/03/12/justin-verlander-houston-astros-changeup

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

So what's the deal with him? Has not looked like himself in all 3 starts

Velocity is fine but location appears off. He also seems to have "blow-up" innings where his pitch count gets high which impacts his whole start 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, zingzing said:

He is exactly what u dream of when u draft ur first pitcher, consistent stud. 

^^^ That is seriously true! I mean the luxury of knowing start after start no matter if it's a healthy Yankees at Yankee stadium, he's gonna get it done.Always good for the QS even if he has to bulldog his way through it. He's one player I will hate to see leave the game, whenever that is. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Febonacci said:

So...normally I wouldnt complain but Verlander has had a not so good June.

Giving up multiple HRs every game past week. Anyone slightly worried about age catching up this season?

Its the changed balls. Juiced balls easier to hit HRS all pitchers are getting lit.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like the HRs are just going to have to be something you have to get used to.  Even with the bad June, his stats are still fantastic. Maybe it was just regression in a sense.  He looked solid enough last night, aside from the usual HRs, and his obviously really high on the player raters regardless.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

cant believe there is only 1 page lol

Same thing for Carlos Santana, who's having a career year, but it's still unbelievable that a player with Verlander's stats only has the one page too.  I guess we're just used to it by now, but maybe the no-hitter will finally spark a second page.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Same thing for Carlos Santana, who's having a career year, but it's still unbelievable that a player with Verlander's stats only has the one page too.  I guess we're just used to it by now, but maybe the no-hitter will finally spark a second page.

I'll do my part. He became just the sixth pitcher with three or more career no-hitters today.

• Like 1