NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Paddack 2019 Outlook

oswald737

2 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

can't remember exactly but I think they were all around the high-100s, well before 200

Uhm, what type of leagues?

I have had VERY competitive/expensive leagues in the past 7 days here is the draft

Auction 12 man 5x5 3/24 $13

Snake 12 man 5x5 3/26 round 12th

Snake 12 man 5x5 yesterday round 11th

I am not trying to pour cold water on his debut, because it was generally pretty damn good. But there really isn't a pitch mix at this point.

It's either FB or CH, now they are both very good pitches, probably a plus/plus CH but I really hope he is able to develop that CU. He threw a couple solid ones today at least (6 total). He has a chance to be a front-of-the-rotation type if he can tune that in. I think it's def possible with how the reports are on his work ethic and plus make-up.

Edited by ST. STEVEN

Basically all command and Change. The FB has velocity, but didn't impress me movement wise. Its going to play as a plus pitch due to his command and change though. If there is ever a guy that could get away with being a 2 pitch pitcher. It's going to be him for sure. Command is the 3rd pitch they sometimes say.

My understanding is his lack of feel for spin is going to prevent him from ever having a solid breaking ball. That doesn't mean he can't have one as a show me pitch though. Just for the sake of keeping hitters guessing and off-balance. There is probably going to some 3rd time thru the order hiccups this year in store. Still, from a WHIP and K stand point. He should be solid.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, coleporter said:

Pitch counts are ridiculous. It’s about innings not pitches. Just ask Nolan Ryan.

In 1989, at age 42, Nolan Ryan averaged 127 pitches a game with a high of 164, which came five days after he threw 150.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Basically all command and Change. The FB has velocity, but didn't impress me movement wise. Its going to play as a plus pitch due to his command and change though. If there is ever a guy that could get away with being a 2 pitch pitcher. It's going to be him for sure. Command is the 3rd pitch they sometimes say.

My understanding is his lack of feel for spin is going to prevent him from ever having a solid breaking ball. That doesn't mean he can't have one as a show me pitch though. Just for the sake of keeping hitters guessing and off-balance. There is probably going to some 3rd time thru the order hiccups this year in store. Still, from a WHIP and K stand point. He should be solid.

Kershaw came into the league as a 2 pitch pitcher fwiw

hes working on not only the curve but also the slider, they just dont want him throwing them too much until they are comfortable with his innings

18 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Kershaw came into the league as a 2 pitch pitcher fwiw

hes working on not only the curve but also the slider, they just dont want him throwing them too much until they are comfortable with his innings

Kershaw never developed an off-speed pitch though. He just doubled down on breaking pitches. Paddock could probably do the same with a cutter or splitter long term. Or just stick with a breaker show me pitch.

I don't know enough about the science of a pitchers natural feel for spin to know if that stuff is just hypothetical BS.

Yet i have observed a lot of pitchers over the years that usually lack either off-speed feel or breaker feel. Who never get it down. Usually become successful at doubling down on the type they are proficient at to expand their aresonal..  Sometimes you get a Degroom getting his Slider. Lot of times its more the path of Kershaw, Robbie Ray or Patrick Corbin.

Edited by Slatykamora

I hear you Slaty, from what I heard about him coming up is that he had a potential 60+ curveball, how they got that I dont know, but yes a cutter would be good to add, seems like his fastball moves but not much, however his location skills are the best I have seen from a young kid since Maddux.  Master that 3rd pitch and thats his trajectory imo

his persona is ACE already

they were talking about his Twitter goals list but I cant find it, supposed to be amazing

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He's going to be pretty good. I don't think he has the same ceiling as guys like Urias, Reyes, and Whitley, but he could develop into a great SP2.

All he’s every done is dominate all those guys throughout the minors no reason why he’s not in the sp1 consideration

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

All he’s every done is dominate all those guys throughout the minors no reason why he’s not in the sp1 consideration

He's going to need a 3rd pitch at the MLB level to reach sp1 status.  It's easier to dominate in the minors as a fb and change up guy than a fb and breaking ball guy.  Urias, Whitley, Reyes all have plus FB and breaking balls (Whitley and Urias actually have the change as well).

2 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Kershaw never developed an off-speed pitch though. He just doubled down on breaking pitches. Paddock could probably do the same with a cutter or splitter long term. Or just stick with a breaker show me pitch.

I don't know enough about the science of a pitchers natural feel for spin to know if that stuff is just hypothetical BS.

Yet i have observed a lot of pitchers over the years that usually lack either off-speed feel or breaker feel. Who never get it down. Usually become successful at doubling down on the type they are proficient at to expand their aresonal..  Sometimes you get a Degroom getting his Slider. Lot of times its more the path of Kershaw, Robbie Ray or Patrick Corbin.

I've seen him spin some good/average curves.

And sometimes he bounces them 3 feet in front of the plate or they don't break at all and finish above the catcher. 

The good thing is that at least you know he is physically capable of throwing it.  The other good thing is that I haven't seen him throw any middle of the plate cement mixers. 

• Like 1