NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Paddack 2019 Outlook

oswald737

In his last start, he made a few mistakes being ahead of counts. This time he was more patient. His command of his curveball looked better than his last start and he is not shy to throw it early in the count. His fastball is good and his change up is generating a lot of swings-and-misses (such a beautiful pitch). Just like how this thread mentioned, his curveball will determine if he is going to be a top of rotation guy. I have a feeling that he will be that guy sooner than later. 

For all you who worry about workload in 2019 when nobody is throwing that many IP anymore....I have a good tidbit for you

I listened to Eno Saris on a podcast for the Athletic.  He said that last year Paddack threw an extra 30 IP in spring training that that the Padres are considering when factoring into his workload this year.  Whatever you were projecting his innings to be this year based on looking at his minor league IP last year, I think you can add almost 38 more innings, which is a very significant amount.  I think if healthy, he goes over 150 but under 160, that's just a guess.

I'm looking at my Forecaster for someone like James Paxton, who was like a top 15 pitcher on draft day  and he was projected for 152 IP.

Case in point, if you drafted Paddack it was probably after round 10, often cases much after, in some cases, the waiver wire. Workload should not be a knock on this guy for 2019 nor a reason to sell him at anything less than 100% of his value. I would not be trading him even in a h2h league for a worse pitcher who you think is going to help you in playoffs because Paddack wont. In roto, there's nothing to benefit from trading him 1% under 100% value. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There is Twitter account that I follow (MLB Quality of Pitch -QOP) and they grade individual pitches...they had Paddack's curve graded higher than his change, really was taken back by that! Some awesome progress!

FB 5.16 (244 pitches)

CU 4.94 (43 pitches)

CH 4.79 (139 pitches)

Padres showing everyone in baseball how it’s done.  No other team would have the stones to toss Paddack and Margevicius into an mlb rotation after having basically nothing in terms of IP above A ball.  Now they’re reaping the benefits of promoting guys they deem ready.  Hopefully the movements is passed onto other organizations.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 5:45 AM, brockpapersizer said:

I listened to Eno Saris on a podcast for the Athletic.  He said that last year Paddack threw an extra 30 IP in spring training that that the Padres are considering when factoring into his workload this year.  Whatever you were projecting his innings to be this year based on looking at his minor league IP last year, I think you can add almost 38 more innings, which is a very significant amount.  I think if healthy, he goes over 150 but under 160, that's just a guess

That makes sense but.... what about the inning he threw in spring training THIS year? Are they going to consider last year's ST but not this year's? Doesn't seem logical imo

3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Padres showing everyone in baseball how it’s done.  No other team would have the stones to toss Paddack and Margevicius into an mlb rotation after having basically nothing in terms of IP above A ball.  Now they’re reaping the benefits of promoting guys they deem ready.  Hopefully the movements is passed onto other organizations.

Always thought MLB teams wait WAY too long to promote some of their top prospects. Waiting to promote a top prospect until he's 25-26 is a travesty. 

On 4/30/2019 at 7:40 PM, Golden Spikes said:

It’s getting really hard to think he’s not one of the best 15 sp in baseball right now and maybe too 10. Thanks Fernando Rodney 

38 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Top 10 pitcher

37 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Top 5 imo if you take out the ip issue. Dude is insane guys just can’t hit him

He's looked great, and I know some of you are die hard Pads fans, but LOL at the out of control hype.

Let's at least wait until batters have seen him for more than 3 career at bats before we proclaim him top-anything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Willsea33 said:

Always thought MLB teams wait WAY too long to promote some of their top prospects. Waiting to promote a top prospect until he's 25-26 is a travesty. 

It truly is.  A lot of these teams have fallen victim to the same prehistoric line of thinking.  And they’re missing out on prime years of bullets from youngsters.  Did the White Sox holding Kopech back really protect him?  If you have good enough command the stuff usually plays at any level pitching wise.  

Edited by Cmilne23

To expand on my previous post:

Verly, Snell, Scherzer, deGrom, Kershaw, Castillo, Paxton, Cole, Bauer, Carrasco, Corbin, Strasburg, Greinke, Berrios, Glasnow.

There's 15 names. Which 10 of them are you trading for Paddack in a 1 for 1 if you think Paddack is top 5? Or which 5 of them if you think he's top 10?

Edited by cs3

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

Verly, Snell, Scherzer, deGrom, Kershaw, Castillo, Paxton, Cole, Bauer, Carrasco, Corbin, Strasburg, Greinke, Berrios, Glasnow.

There's 15 names. Which 10 of them are you trading for Paddack in a 1 for 1 if you think Paddack is top 5? Or which 5 of them if you think he's top 10?

1 for 1 just Verly and Scherzer imo. Everyone else I'm sticking with Paddack. 

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

Wouldn't trade Verlander, Snell, Bauer, Cole or deGrom for him. Everyone else I'd ship out for him though.

18 hits allowed this year in 40 IP a .130 baa, 5 hits allowed to RH all season

we are quite possibly watching the best rookie start ever right now, enjoy it

also he called out Alonso and then made him look foolish all night

dude is already an ACE and as soon as next year will be an annual CY guy, had pitched around 95-96 tops all year, then dials up 98 vs Alonso in the first

WHIP = 0.69, next best is 0.83

ERA 1.55 2nd in baseball leads the NL

Edited by Golden Spikes

54 minutes ago, hard1 said:

They said he was pissed when he lost rookie of the month to Alonso... I'd say he probably should have won for April... but there's always May

He’s not a guy that gets pissed he doesn’t get accolades. He’s a guy that uses everything to push him to be better

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

He’s not a guy that gets pissed he doesn’t get accolades. He’s a guy that uses everything to push him to be better

Yeah I think we agree here maybe pissed wasn't the correct verbage... but it's all motivation for him...

• Thanks 1

His utilization and low pitch counts are incredible. He is literally pounding the zone,  challenging hitters and they still can’t hit him. I posted this last night and was for some reason deleted, but through 4IP he had 8Ks and 11 of 14 batters had seen only 4 pitches or less. He didn’t even utilize his changeup, his best pitch, until the 5th inning. That loopy curveball looks susceptible to me once people catch onto it but his 97-98 MPH fastball really makes that pitch more effective than it should be. 

• Like 1

Barring injury...if you own him, you should win your league. One of the best pitchers in baseball right now