NBC Sports Edge Forums
Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“Now available”

#53 Rookie homerun king!!!!

Posted Images

[...] Didn't realize he's actually gotten better as the season has gone along, which is surprising because you think the league would have adjusted to him by now.  Maybe they have with his increase in walks by a significant amount in June, but June was also his best full month by far.

A fairly continuous name on Sell High/Regression lists, even as lately as a couple of weeks ago at FantasyPros.  I just don't see it.  I think he's already establishing himself as one of the premiere power hitters in baseball.  Sure, he won't likely ever hit .300, but oh well.  I'll still gladly take a .270ish average with the great power numbers.

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, 20Duval904 said:

Early on, I compared him to Rhys Hoskins.

I was wrong... He’s closer to Aaron Judge. Prodigious power. He makes more contact than Judge, also.

Hard to see him not going top 30 next year in drafts.

Pretty good comp.  there was an article the other day comparing the two.  https://calltothepen.com/2019/07/06/who-scouts-prefer-aaron-judge-or-pete-alonso/.    Gotta give it time though, I remember a similar article about judge and conforto 2 years ago. Mind you, judge had a ton of doubters his year too.  I’m not a doubter, I’m a cautious optimist.

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

Judge has better plate discipline and a bit more power. That's the key difference. 

I don't disagree on the discipline, but Alonso makes contact outside the zone at a clip over 60% and doesn't seem to sacrifice any power when chasing. That doesn't worry me in the slightest.

I'm also not sure I can definitively say anyone has more power than Petey.

Getting to see his interviews during the derby and all star game, he's quickly becoming one of my favorite players. Seems like a really good guy and soon to be the leader in that clubhouse. 

6 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Getting to see his interviews during the derby and all star game, he's quickly becoming one of my favorite players. Seems like a really good guy and soon to be the leader in that clubhouse. 

What about Jacob McNeill?  err, my bad.  What about Jeff deGrom?  Sorry, I must have been working the scoreboard in Cleveland over the All-Star break.  My bad...

In all seriousness, he is becoming one of my favorites as well.

He hit a rocket out to centerfield for his rbi in Miami. That ball goes out in some other stadiums. As long as he isn't chasing too bad, and he continues to make hard contact.. I won't be worried much. The Mets offense has actualy been decent all season and now cano is getting warm as well I could see the counting stats continuing to do well also. Just don't fall off the cliff young man. 

The home run derby curse is silly. It's been disproven here and here and here.

Alonso probably won't continue to homer every 12.5 plate appearances because it's really hard to homer every 12.5 plate appearances. The HR derby usually picks participants who are hitting HRs at unsustainable rates, which is why it may seem like there's some sort of curse.

Also he just hit a home run while I was typing this.

Edited by SpartyOn4
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

The home run derby curse is silly. It's been disproven here and here and here.

Alonso probably won't continue to homer every 12.5 plate appearances because it's really hard to homer every 12.5 plate appearances. The HR derby usually picks participants who are hitting HRs at unsustainable rates, which is why it may seem like there's some sort of curse.

Also he just hit a home run while I was typing this.

Thank you! I don't see how anyone believes in the derby curse in 2019. The guys in the derby often cool off in the 2H because they were having an unsustainable first half to begin with.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, BIGFLY4MIKETROUT said:

is the nice season over with this guy?

strike outs are way up after home run derby

average dropping fast

How dare you doubt Big meat Pete