NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joey Gallo 2019 Outlook

mowntineer

1 hour ago, mjb03003 said:

Anybody buying while he's on the shelf? 

The .276 average doesn't appear sustainable but he does appear to be progressing as a player. Big spikes in LD% and Hard% are going to lead to good things for a man with his strength. BB% up to 19.6, a career high, and showing better plate discipline overall. 

The average does seem high based on just his K% and batted ball profile (he pulls the ball and hits fly balls at way above avg rates), but when you crush the ball as hard as he does, a higher BABIP (and therefore AVG) becomes more possible

Edited by UberRebel

in OBP leagues he is gold but his value always be suppressed in standard leagues with that really high K rate and batting average woes. current BA is unsustainable with the BABIP. He does hit the ball extremely hard but shifting will also be a problem for him; I dont see any way a near 400 babip is sustainable. Nevertheless, he can sustain a below averager BA and still provide very good value with that unreal power!

“Gallo is hoping to be activated from the IL for next weekends series against the White Sox. Gallo has been hitting in the batting cage without issue and is slated to take batting practice in the field on Saturday. If that goes well he could face live pitching in extended spring training on Tuesday. It sounds like Gallo could miss a rehab assignment and return next weekend”

Soon

• 2 weeks later...

Texas Rangers transactions: Kyle Bird has been optioned to AAA Nashville, the Rangers announced today. No corresponding move was announced today, but will be announced on Tuesday.

Most likely, the corresponding move will be Joey Gallo being activated from the injured list on Tuesday. He has been on a rehab assignment with the AZL Rangers, and Tuesday has been the day pointed to for some time as the day he was expected to return. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Even if he comes back before the playoffs, a hamate surgery usually completely saps a players power for a couple months following. Chances are he's not going to be real useful again until 2020.

See Olsen, Matt thread for more information on this topic.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dicka24 said:

I'd imagine delino deshields or Willie Calhoun will benefit. Probably more Deshields since he's a CF.  Matt Olson missed 6 weeks I think with the hamate injury I think?

41 days between games. So that would be 6 weeks. That would put most of us to the end of our 1st round playoff matchups I believe?

• Thanks 1