Christian Walker 2019 Outlook

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All of whom apparently suck now

Actually K% stabilizes the quickest for hitters at around 60–80PA so it has meaning.

Or Matt Davidson. I love/hate the first month of the baseball season. 

Posted Images

his outlook is obviously quite polarizing. anyone have any sort of expectations we should be keeping for him moving forward? are 35 HRs an actual possibility here? 

my body say yes. 

32 minutes ago, sharpee said:

his outlook is obviously quite polarizing. anyone have any sort of expectations we should be keeping for him moving forward? are 35 HRs an actual possibility here? 

my body say yes. 

The power looks real but the average is not. He's looking like Jesus Aguilar part 2. I think he can hit 30 with a 265 avg. If Lamb steals at bats the number goes down. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kaii23 said:

The power looks real but the average is not. He's looking like Jesus Aguilar part 2. I think he can hit 30 with a 265 avg. If Lamb steals at bats the number goes down. 

This is probably correct. I think 35 is a ceiling but we could expect 25 ~ 30 HRs with that kind of average

2 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

37 minutes ago, fingy said:

This is probably correct.

Really?
To hit .265, he has to .250 'til the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mannymachado said:

What’s going on with this dude?

You think he was gonna hit .360 all year? It’s baseball guys have dry spells in between hot streaks. 

• Like 1

What do we all think of the impending return of Jake Lamb?  Will Walker go back into a platoon (starting vs LHP, sitting vs RHP) or has he earned the right through his play to push Lamb to the bench?   Walker was just dropped in my league, hoping to get some D-Backs fans' opinions on how loyal they think Lovullo will be to Lamb.

58 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

What do we all think of the impending return of Jake Lamb?  Will Walker go back into a platoon (starting vs LHP, sitting vs RHP) or has he earned the right through his play to push Lamb to the bench?   Walker was just dropped in my league, hoping to get some D-Backs fans' opinions on how loyal they think Lovullo will be to Lamb.

Well Lamb sucks against LHP too. Ideally Lamb would platoon with Flores at 3B

24 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Well Lamb sucks against LHP too. Ideally Lamb would platoon with Flores at 3B

yes, it would be lamb sitting vs LHP and Walker starting.  What I'd like to know is if we think Walker will get the ABs vs RHP also.  

Has there been talk of him being platooned? He's a potential breakout on a rebuilding team, and his minor league spits are almost identical in OPS(they actually were in 2017). He has a 175 wRC+ against righties this year and 107 vs lefties. He's probably not going to continue his avg or SB pace, but with the hot start I could see him finishing with a Justin Upton 2018 type line 257/30/85/80/8.   

2 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Has there been talk of him being platooned? He's a potential breakout on a rebuilding team, and his minor league spits are almost identical in OPS(they actually were in 2017). He has a 175 wRC+ against righties this year and 107 vs lefties. He's probably not going to continue his avg or SB pace, but with the hot start I could see him finishing with a Justin Upton 2018 type line 257/30/85/80/8.   

At the beginning of the year the team's stated plan for playing time was a platoon of Lamb (plays vs RHP) and Walker (plays vs LHP) at 1b.  With Walker's hot start and Lamb's injury, not sure if that's changed.   

Edited by swingbatter

I can see why they'd platoon Lamb, his career vs lefties is horrible at a 45 wRC+(415 PA's). For a non-contending team to platoon a promising young bat like Walker wouldn't be very smart, especially since his track record doesn't suggest it's necessary. 

Figuring out who to platoon Lamb with is the tough part. Escobar kind of fits the bill, but if I was AZ I'd be trying to trade him so that may hurt those chances and he's not horrible vs righties. Marte is another possibility although not horrible vs righties either, but he's another guy that I wouldn't want to take PA's away from on a rebuilding team. Hopefully they go full rebuild and trade Lamb and/or Escobar. 

8 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

I can see why they'd platoon Lamb, his career vs lefties is horrible at a 45 wRC+(415 PA's). For a non-contending team to platoon a promising young bat like Walker wouldn't be very smart, especially since his track record doesn't suggest it's necessary. 

Figuring out who to platoon Lamb with is the tough part. Escobar kind of fits the bill, but if I was AZ I'd be trying to trade him so that may hurt those chances and he's not horrible vs righties. Marte is another possibility although not horrible vs righties either, but he's another guy that I wouldn't want to take PA's away from on a rebuilding team. Hopefully they go full rebuild and trade Lamb and/or Escobar. 

Walker is 28 and doesn't seem like a "promising young  player" that you would want to be starting a rebuild with

7 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Walker is 28 and doesn't seem like a "promising young  player" that you would want to be starting a rebuild with

He only has 215 PA's in the majors(116 of them this year), and was blocked by Goldy and Chris Davis before he was horrible. He's hit well in the minors during that time too. 

3 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

He only has 215 PA's in the majors(116 of them this year), and was blocked by Goldy and Chris Davis before he was horrible. He's hit well in the minors during that time too. 

I realize that he was blocked but figure a 3-4 year rebuild puts him on the wrong side of 30. I'd like to see him continuing to do well and be traded in July to a contending team.