NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lamar Jackson 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m worried that his quad may tighten up tomorrow and won’t be right next week.   exploring other options

Benched again...wish I had a QB who could play the entire game! Might try to find one of those interchangeable ones on the waiver wire for next week. 

On 11/18/2019 at 1:21 PM, FavreCo said:

Give it time Vince Young. People gushed over him as well and if you recall, that team had a great Line and D as well until it didn't and he was then done. It's inevitable that he going to get drilled running the ball, spinning around only to meet a DL man who lays him out. Enjoy it while you can but its a replay of Vince Young.

Vince Young had NEVER done things Lamar Jackson is doing.  They're both black and they both play QB - that's the end of the comparisons.  

• Like 3

Vince Young had good intangibles of being a "winner" early in his career. However, he doesn't have the arm, work ethic, or leadership/respect Lamar has. Character is important. Plus VY didn't have Harbaugh pouring love and building his team around him.

32 minutes ago, austin316 said:

Lol, you obviously don't understand value and investing. Look no further than Minshew/Foles vs Baker Mayfield this year, as another example.

But i get what you're saying. Thanks for spelling it out for me. Like i said, i have Lamar in 4 out of 5 leagues, so i have my finger on the pulse.

What does Baker Mayfield have to do with anything? This isnt the first time the Browns havent lived up to the hype so nobody should have been stunned that they disappointed. Plus all of the late round QBs that have done well. Allen, Dak, Lamar, Murray are all running QBs where as Baker isnt.

30 minutes ago, Evincar said:

What does Baker Mayfield have to do with anything? This isnt the first time the Browns havent lived up to the hype so nobody should have been stunned that they disappointed. Plus all of the late round QBs that have done well.

Allen, Dak, Lamar, Murray are all running QBs where as Baker isnt.

Aside from  lamar I would call them mobile QB's not running qb's. Those offenses are not built around those QB's running the ball the way the ravens have an offense built around lamars running game. The entire controversey created around lamar since college was he is was labeled a running QB.

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Aside from  lamar I would call them mobile QB's not running qb's. Those offenses are not built around those QB's running the ball the way the ravens have an offense built around lamars running game. The entire controversey created around lamar since college was he is was labeled a running QB.

Ehhhh, the bills definitely have designed QB sweeps on the redzone and in his rookie season scrambling was Allen's checkdown so he's more in the Lamar pile than the other guys

1 hour ago, Evincar said:

What does Baker Mayfield have to do with anything? This isnt the first time the Browns havent lived up to the hype so nobody should have been stunned that they disappointed. Plus all of the late round QBs that have done well. Allen, Dak, Lamar, Murray are all running QBs where as Baker isnt.

I'm pointing out value. Baker went in round 5-7 but late QBs and free agents are better. I saw Russell Wilson go in Round 12 in a 12-teamer and 14 in a 10-teamer. Josh Allen is a potential fantasy beast every week and he went undrafted in many local friends leagues.

Hence, my point, I'm comfortable fading Lamar next summer, grabbing a WR or RB there instead, and finding the "next" overall QB1 candidate in the late rounds. I don't know about you, but I've been playing over 20 years and I used to give advice for a fantasy website so I would at least take into account what I have to say.

Edited by austin316
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't wait to watch the game tonight, Lamar would have to have a huge day and not have Andrews have a good day as well, so I've lost more than likely.  But I don't even care I just want to see what magic this dude can pull off next.  Favorite part of every football week is watching this guy.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, austin316 said:

What's your projection for tonight?

What are the Rams defense strengths? 

Can Lamar run on them like every other team?

It's a tough one, you can't bet against Lamar regardless of the matchup at this point, but I was reading an article earlier today about effective defensive formations against himso far this season.  Tampa-2 has only been run three times against him but he's 0 for 3 with one being an interception. His other 4 interceptions this year were on Zone formations as well.  Small sample size, but basically if the Rams are smart they won't run Man coverage against the Ravens all night.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fullonchubb said:

Can't wait to watch the game tonight, Lamar would have to have a huge day and not have Andrews have a good day as well, so I've lost more than likely.  But I don't even care I just want to see what magic this dude can pull off next.  Favorite part of every football week is watching this guy.

Agreed. My matchup is already decided as well, but love watching this guy play.  The Rams on the road in Primetime should be a good test... their defense has been playing well since the Ramsey acquisition.  We saw what Lamar did to the Pats, but that was at home.

43 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Agreed. My matchup is already decided as well, but love watching this guy play.  The Rams on the road in Primetime should be a good test... their defense has been playing well since the Ramsey acquisition.  We saw what Lamar did to the Pats, but that was at home.

Rams are home

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, philnutz said:

Rams are home

I know. That’s why I said the “Rams on the road in PrimeTime should be a good test.”

In case you hadn’t noticed, this is the Lamar Jackson thread. Everything relates to him. He’s playing against the Rams on the road.

Edited by SkinsChargersFan
4 hours ago, fullonchubb said:

It's a tough one, you can't bet against Lamar regardless of the matchup at this point, but I was reading an article earlier today about effective defensive formations against himso far this season.  Tampa-2 has only been run three times against him but he's 0 for 3 with one being an interception. His other 4 interceptions this year were on Zone formations as well.  Small sample size, but basically if the Rams are smart they won't run Man coverage against the Ravens all night.

Interesting... 

How does he do running against zone formations though? You'd think they're playing man because they need enough men in run support to stop him on the ground.

If it's just a "pick your poison" sort of thing, I don't think we'd have to fear zone that much. It will leave a lot of running lanes open.

2 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

I know. That’s why I said the “Rams on the road in PrimeTime should be a good test.”

In case you hadn’t noticed, this is the Lamar Jackson thread. Everything relates to him. He’s playing against the Rams on the road.

Haha, my bad, totally missed what you were saying, my brain just got "rams on the road"

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

Interesting... 

How does he do running against zone formations though? You'd think they're playing man because they need enough men in run support to stop him on the ground.

If it's just a "pick your poison" sort of thing, I don't think we'd have to fear zone that much. It will leave a lot of running lanes open.

It's odd that I didn't think of that when typing out that comment because obviously our MVP candidate is such a prolific runner.  You make a good point here I will be very interested to see what they do.

Just now, dashoe said:

2 great QB's on "running" teams in a "passing" league 😂

Shows how much a solid running game can open up the passing game. Look at Jared Goof 2017-2018.

It’s a qb’s best friend

• Like 1