NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lamar Jackson 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m worried that his quad may tighten up tomorrow and won’t be right next week.   exploring other options

Benched again...wish I had a QB who could play the entire game! Might try to find one of those interchangeable ones on the waiver wire for next week. 

2 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Sorry dude, but this is a really stupid rebuttal to an excellent point made by the other poster. Using your logic (i.e., he gets better the more he plays) then the probably should play him in every preseason game too right? The other poster wasn't even suggesting that they bench him, just that there was no reason to put him in situations where he might be more likely to injure himself after they had the game in hand. That's just "smart" football. This isn't a team trying to vie for a playoff spot, it's a team positioning themselves for a long playoff run. And they're going to need a healthy Lamar Jackson to make that run. Just about everyone else on that team is replaceable (to some extent) except for Jackson so it's a very unique situation. 

Preseason and NFl and regular season are completely different. No one shows their true schemes in preseason and preseason games don't count towards records, so your point is baseless.

Show me examples of HOF QB's who were regularly bubble wrapped brfore the 4th qtr to prevent injury simply because the team had a lead? 

NFL players in every position play with injuries every single game, studs and non studs.  We have seen Aaron rogers hobble and hop around on 1 foot to win games 🤣

Explain to me why  bubble wrapping with a lead in a regular season game is "smart football" and when was this implemented? 

The winningest team and QB in the NFL with the most SB rings never bubble wrapped Brady when they had a lead. 😂

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, dashoe said:

it's NFL football. Everyone has a job to perform and taking hits or injury is a part of the game.  Lamar is a 2nd year QB who needs as many in game reps as possible to run the offense. The more reps he gets the better he will execute and the better he will perform come playoffs and possible SB when  Def coordinators have  time to prepare their teams to stop him.

It would be foolish for the coaches to bubble wrap him because of potential injury risk. The greater risk is losing future games because he has less experience running the offense and the full playbook and reading defenses.

Aside from sitting QB's in the 4th qtrs or after clinching a bye, I don't know of any regular season examples where QB's are bubble wrapped. Brady, Rivers, Brees, Rodgers, both Mannings are all future HOF QB's and were never bubble wrapped during the regular season.

Most season ending QB injuries occur in the pocket where the QB is unprotected not when he is runnng the ball, so I think the outcry over playing him with a lead is just nonsensical

You can't think of any examples where they don't run designed runs for a QB when up 30??? Its not bubble wrapping a player its common sense

Yes most season ending injuries happen to QB's when they unprotected because that is what almost every team asks their QB to do.  Lamar is amazing and young so maybe he doesn't get injured this year or next.  But he is not built like Cam he is built like Vick.  Vick played 16 games one time in his career.

1 minute ago, youngrice said:

You can't think of any examples where they don't run designed runs for a QB when up 30??? Its not bubble wrapping a player its common sense

Yes most season ending injuries happen to QB's when they unprotected because that is what almost every team asks their QB to do.  Lamar is amazing and young so maybe he doesn't get injured this year or next. 

But he is not built like Cam he is built like Vick.  Vick played 16 games one time in his career.

There is alot of fallacy built into this because Lamar neither plays like Cam or Vick and the offenses are completely different. 

Greg Roman coached 2 mobile QB's to their best years of production in his offenses Tyrod Taylor and Colin Kaepernick. Neither one of those players sustained a season or career ending injury in a Greg Roman offense.  Lamar plays in the same offensive system as both did. 

I'm not sure why  people make the Cam and Vick comparison when the proper comparisons are Tyrod+kapernick

• Like 1

happened upon an interesting tidbit that further solidifies this cat's claim to MVP in all/any leeg or format, real or magick:

if you seperate his rushing and passing, he's still an rb1 & a qb1. 

enjoy this ride, fellas ... kid's the effin' troof ✌

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I love having him on my team right now.  I have to believe that it is only a matter of time before he gets figured out.  On the other hand, I question why he would get figured out...he has a few capable RBs, he has a wealth of WR options, a wealth of TE options, a decent offensive line, and a defense that keeps the ball in his hands.  This is a perfect storm for him at the moment. 

Yeah, how exactly can they figure him out?  A lot of it is athleticism, instincts and moment to moment reflexes.  He's just too athletic and is dancing around people.  His mauling offensive line is beautifully executing plays to create space for him and the running backs.  From the passing perspective he is just warming up and figuring THEM out.  I think it's more worrisome for the league that he can be even more lethal as he grows as a passer.

29 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

From the passing perspective he is just warming up and figuring THEM out.  I think it's more worrisome for the league that he can be even more lethal as he grows as a passer.

When he came out blazing with great passing in week 1, it felt like that scene in Happy Gilmore when he sinks the long putt on the green...    "Happy learned how to putt... Uh oh!"  

"Lamar learned how to pass... Uh oh"  

and he can still get better! 🤤

Edited by jonasdash
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, dashoe said:

There is alot of fallacy built into this because Lamar neither plays like Cam or Vick and the offenses are completely different. 

Greg Roman coached 2 mobile QB's to their best years of production in his offenses Tyrod Taylor and Colin Kaepernick. Neither one of those players sustained a season or career ending injury in a Greg Roman offense.  Lamar plays in the same offensive system as both did. 

I'm not sure why  people make the Cam and Vick comparison when the proper comparisons are Tyrod+kapernick

Because Cam is the only running QB to have sustained success in the league.  As a niner fan I can speak its not the same offense and the stats back it up.  Kap's high for rushes was 104.  Lamar has 124 already.  Plus nobody is saying to change the offense to protect Lamar.  Only saying to not have Lamar takes hits up by 30.  Jesus should be that hard to understand.

Edited by youngrice

It'll be interesting to see how he does going forward. I think next season will be telling. Kaep also got figured out and drastically regressed after it. He's still in the bottom half in terms of passing yards and his passing plays have been really easy for the most part.

Reality is they got one of the best defenses, one of the best lines, and an elite run game regardless of Jackson. He's the MVP front runner this year but i'm not sold on him yet. 

23 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Because Cam is the only running QB to have sustained success in the league. 

As a niner fan I can speak its not the same offense and the stats back it up.  Kap's high for rushes was 104.  Lamar has 124 already.

1, you being a Niners fan is irrelevant to the discussion

2, Greg Roman is known for both philosophically and in practice for offenses built on running the ball with sophisticated schemes. Coaches don't abandon schemes they have developed over their entire careers, they adapt them to the talent available to them.

3. Why would the STATS be the same for the QB given each Roman team had different personnel and talent. The one constant is the mobility of the QB to be able to run the ball and force defenses to respect the rushing attack.  kapernick, tyrod,lamar are all mobile QB's on teams that focused on establishing the run that made passing much easier for them

3.  just because Cam ran the ball and he had success is not the same situation for lamar, they are not running the ball the same way  and in the same offensive system.

4. You make too many false comapratives and correlations. it's much easier to look at the OC and his history than a random player like Cam or Vick. Your are referring more to their athletic talents than the actual systems their talents were used in.

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

It'll be interesting to see how he does going forward. I think next season will be telling. Kaep also got figured out and drastically regressed after it. He's still in the bottom half in terms of passing yards and his passing plays have been really easy for the most part.

Reality is they got one of the best defenses, one of the best lines, and an elite run game regardless of Jackson. He's the MVP front runner this year but i'm not sold on him yet. 

Kaps production fell off the cliff in 2015. his 2 best years were 2013-2014. Roman was not not the OC in SF in 2015 his last season with SF was 2014, so that would explain everything

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Preseason and NFl and regular season are completely different. No one shows their true schemes in preseason and preseason games don't count towards records, so your point is baseless.

Show me examples of HOF QB's who were regularly bubble wrapped brfore the 4th qtr to prevent injury simply because the team had a lead? 

NFL players in every position play with injuries every single game, studs and non studs.  We have seen Aaron rogers hobble and hop around on 1 foot to win games 🤣

Explain to me why  bubble wrapping with a lead in a regular season game is "smart football" and when was this implemented? 

The winningest team and QB in the NFL with the most SB rings never bubble wrapped Brady when they had a lead. 😂

My point isn't baseless and it's a shame you don't get paid every time you use the term "bubble wrapping" because you'd be a rich man. The point everyone (but you) is making is that the Ravens were in a position where the didn't need to put Jackson in harms way to win the game. Your idea that he needs the reps more than he needs his health is pretty stupid.   

16 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Kaep isn't half the athlete that Jackson is. I'm not even sure Mahomes is. He is truly one of a kind player so we're venturing into unchartered waters a bit. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Lamar is playing at a completely different level than we ever saw Kaep perform at. 

Defenses could "figure" Lamar out and he regresses to Kaep's best seasons. 

8 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

My point isn't baseless and it's a shame you don't get paid every time you use the term "bubble wrapping" because you'd be a rich man. The point everyone (but you) is making is that the Ravens were in a position where the didn't need to put Jackson in harms way to win the game. Your idea that he needs the reps more than he needs his health is pretty stupid.   

So you and the others who support your view are correct yet all of the NFL coaches, players, teams, owners, doctors, trainers, etc are currently and historically wrong? 😂

Brees-Brady-Rivers-Both Mannings-Rodgers, etc, etc, etc Show me where they were pulled before the 4th qtr with a big lead during the regular season without a playoff bye clinched?  Show me how many QB's were lost for a season  when their teams had a big lead because they were still in the game.

All I ask is for you to show me the data that supports your theory. Currently you are telling us how you FEEL about it but you have zero data to support your FEELINGS. 😂

Edited by dashoe
20 minutes ago, dashoe said:

1, you being a Niners fan is irrelevant to the discussion

2, Greg Roman is known for both philosophically and in practice for offenses built on running the ball with sophisticated schemes. Coaches don't abandon schemes they have developed over their entire careers, they adapt them to the talent available to them.

3. Why would the STATS be the same for the QB given each Roman team had different personnel and talent. The one constant is the mobility of the QB to be able to run the ball and force defenses to respect the rushing attack.  kapernick, tyrod,lamar are all mobile QB's on teams that focused on establishing the run that made passing much easier for them

3.  just because Cam ran the ball and he had success is not the same situation for lamar, they are not running the ball the same way  and in the same offensive system.

4. You make too many false comapratives and correlations. it's much easier to look at the OC and his history than a random player like Cam or Vick. Your are referring more to their athletic talents than the actual systems their talents were used in.

I give up.  Your right he will never get injured and its smart to run him up 30.  Wow

12 minutes ago, youngrice said:

I give up.  Your right he will never get injured and its smart to run him up 30.  Wow

I never said he won't get injured. You can't predict injury. injuries happen in the NFL.

Maybe they shouldnt let him practice either because Terry Bridgewater lost his entire season with a non contact injury in practice. 

You can't predict injury in the NFL.  I get you as a fan are concerned with his risk of injury but this is why he is paid millions and the other players are paid millions too. They are paid to play on the field 16 games for 4qtrs, 

If anything they should sit their o-line after a big lead because they take the most wear and tear over an entire season since they endure high impact contact on EVERY SINGLE PLAY. Without a healthy o-line u have no running game or QB protection or passing game. 

Edited by dashoe
15 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Kaep isn't half the athlete that Jackson is. I'm not even sure Mahomes is. He is truly one of a kind player so we're venturing into unchartered waters a bit. 

I’m sorry but in terms of athlete he’s not one of a kind. Vick was just as a freak of an athlete. Hell, he even had a more rocket of an arm.

• Like 1
Just now, Gohawks said:

I’m sorry but in terms of athlete he’s not one of a kind. Vick was just as a freak of an athlete. Hell, he even had a more rocket of an arm.

Correct. people tend to confuse athleticism with on field football production and position skill.  Everything i read about vick pointed to his production was limited by his unwillingness or inability to perfect his knowledge and skill, playing the QB position.  He made poor choices processing the defenses and executing on plays and used his athleticism to bail him out of those poor choices. 

4 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Vick was also a career 56% completion rate QB. His arm was incredible. His decision making and accuracy was not. 

2 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

happened upon an interesting tidbit that further solidifies this cat's claim to MVP in all/any leeg or format, real or magick:

if you seperate his rushing and passing, he's still an rb1 & a qb1. 

enjoy this ride, fellas ... kid's the effin' troof ✌

Sake Juan Bustley vaccine!

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

So you and the others who support your view are correct yet all of the NFL coaches, players, teams, owners, doctors, trainers, etc are currently and historically wrong? 😂

Brees-Brady-Rivers-Both Mannings-Rodgers, etc, etc, etc Show me where they were pulled before the 4th qtr with a big lead during the regular season without a playoff bye clinched?  Show me how many QB's were lost for a season  when their teams had a big lead because they were still in the game.

All I ask is for you to show me the data that supports your theory. Currently you are telling us how you FEEL about it but you have zero data to support your FEELINGS. 😂

There's plenty of data. It's absolutely no different than coaches telling their QBs to slide instead of taking hits. And coaches playing more conservatively (i.e., running the ball more) when they have a big lead. Also, suggesting a team play more conservatively versus pulling a player two completely different things. The original poster didn't suggest that the Raven's pull Jackson, he suggested they simply hand the ball off more to Ingram and Edwards (as opposed to running Jackson). So your counterpoint is baseless because you're not actually addressing what he said.

Edited by tonycpsu
Can't call people trolls here. If you think someone is trolling, report the post.
  • Thanks 1